[RR] North American August 2021 Round Robin - The Waning Days of Summer Edition - Addresses Sent

Thank you to:

#1 @cawindt for the stunning view of Hel Penninsula in Poland

#7 @treeclimber for a great pre-war Volkswagen illustration!

#16 @hootnoodle for the beautiful doors of San Miguel

#15 @Agneau for the lovely watercolour by Walter Crane featuring the grave of Keats.

Thank you everyone for the lovely cards and messages.

#28 received from
#6. @mikeyz1 a cute brown bear at the Toledo zoo
#10. @emotis a tasty chicken dinner from Frankenmuth Bavarian Inn

Thank you both, enjoyed them

#19 ellistrations received

#2 @HarleyGirl73 - Sunwapta Falls in the Canadian Rockies, thank you! That is a very impressive waterfall and a beautiful view! :blush:

1 Like

#5 reporting:

#2 @HarleyGirl73 ā€“ Great card from the Western Development Museum in Saskatchewan! Thank you. What an interesting old steam tractor!

#13 @ladybug513 ā€“ a Klimt - ā€œLiebeā€. I have a Klimt print hanging on my bathroom wall. A favorite artist of mine ā€“ thank you!

#28 @sleepyhippo1 ā€“ a painting of Little Red Riding Hood. Great childhood memories. Thank you for the card and the great vintage stamps!

1 Like

#16 reporting cards received during the last few days:

#1 @cawindt - LP poster for Cuyahoga Valley National Park. I learned of that park from @carolreader. It looks lovely.

#2 @HarleyGirl73 - Edmonton, Alberta, on a snowy evening. Your land and animals must keep you very busy!

#3 @Cruzin - a Lou Paper card for Oregon with images of lots of familiar things and places. Hope your Texas house sells quickly. Itā€™s been a hot sellersā€™ market most places.

#18 @4kids2pay4 - Civic Park in Waterloo, Iowa. Yes, Iā€™ve been up in the Seattle Space Needle (I assume thatā€™s what you meant when you said Seattle Tower). And I definitely remember the year when the SuperSonics were in the NBA finals (and won!) in 1979. My husband and I were temporarily living in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and were on our way to a canoeing vacation in the Boundary Waters of northern Minnesota. We had to make sure we found a motel with good TV access that last night.

#24 @roxy - a bookcover for Caesar, The Conquest of Gaul, a book I havenā€™t read, yet is not on my massive to-be-read pile! Glad to hear youā€™ve been having fun with your visiting niece. We havenā€™t played Uno for several years.

#28 @sleepyhippo1 - the U.S. Supreme Court Building. I agree that summer goes by quickly. Itā€™s my favorite season (despite our record-breaking heat this year), and Iā€™m never eager for its end.

#29 @melvnoble - the south portico of the White House. This card and the one from sleepyhippo1 remind me that I really want to go to DC. (We included it in a family vacation in 1997, far too long ago).

#30 @RockyRoadTrip - a cool ā€œfightā€ card 2016. I totally agree with your comments.

Thanks, everyone!

#27 received

#1 @cawindt An ocean liner from Poland. How awesome to visit the farm of your great-great grandmother. I canā€™t wait to get back to working on my genealogy. I have found that many postcrossers live in areas very near to my ancestors.

#2 @HarleyGirl73 Saskatchewan at Night All black card with partial moon and a little squirrel or woodchuck popping up in the corner. This card did make me smile. We do have a lot in common as far as our interests go. Iā€™m thinking when I return to my scrapbooking, Iā€™m going to seriously consider going the digital scrapbooking route. I just canā€™t see myself devoting hours to the creation of a few pages like I did many years ago.

#6 @mikeyz1 Shoes, beautiful shoes. Donā€™t know why I have such a fascination with shoes. I no longer wear heels that high and am strictly buying shoes for comfort now but I still love to look and try on occasionally.

#8 @Shesa-Renegade The delightful ladies of Inge Look. They are relaxing, reading and laughing. This is the first Inge Look card Iā€™ve actually received. I have a bunch to send which were signed by Inge Look herself but I plan to send them all out eventually. I agree, I do need a soft spot to read and relax in my new and improved space.

#10 @emotis A lovely graphic card of Hawaiā€™i volcanoes national park. I do think those people standing on the overlook of an active volcano are not proving themselves to be overly bright. :rofl:

#12 @yarn-lady A photograph of Puu Oo crater in Hawaii. This oneā€™s actively erupting and the hot lava flow is gorgeous.

#14 @dnrhott A magical mushroom. Yes, I enjoy Disney movies.

#16 @hootnoodle Aerial view of Washington State Capitol building and other capitol group buildings overlooking the water. Quite a beautiful view. I agree, your location is much prettier than the US Capitol but I venture to say the US Capitol is more controversial! (not that itā€™s a good thing).

#24 @roxy A 1970ā€™s photo of the musical group ā€œThe Raspberriesā€. Oh the hair on the men! Love those shag haircuts.

#29 @melvnoble A photo of the Washington Monument with Cherry Blossoms in full bloom around the tidal basin. Lovely!! Itā€™s been awhile since Iā€™ve watched Unsolved Mysteries, but I agree that are creepy and mostly sad.

1 Like

#22 uconn

Received:

#20 @Triol
A nice New Jersey beach view :grinning:
Thanks!

#21 @Beachyblonde
Huh, indeed! Thanks for a weird one :grinning:

1 Like

#18 @4kids2pay4

Received today in the mailbox.

@yarn-lady sends a great card of lookout tower on Black Butte. Hopefully the heat and fires dissipate soon.
@ladybug513 found a favorite to send to me. I visited Betsy Ross house in 1993 and was surprised how small of a space it was and that it still stood. Yes, the ā€œfried popcornā€ really is good in Epcot.
@sleepyhippo1 sends a bucket list item of Mount Rushmore at night. Thanks for the tip as I love the auctions! And thanks for the great stamps too.

#23 received:

#10 @emotis sent GF Michigan. Love this style of vintage reprint. Thanks, Erin! I hope youā€™re trip was nice!

#13 @ladybug513 & #21 @Beachyblonde both sent coffee art from the same series and even used the same stamp series too! I love coffee! Thanks, Susan & Whitney!

#14 @dnrhott sent fun facts about Greek yogurt. Yum! Thanks, Delia!

#27 @TwoDoggies sent orcas. This series is so beautiful! Thanks, Terri! VB has been my home for about 30 years. The military brought us here but Iā€™m actually the only one left of my family that stayed. Now I started my own family here lol.

2 Likes

#4 @hkappespc - beautiful snail card, thank you! I really havenā€™t seen any snails here either, must be the heat. Itā€™s odd to think about, but with all the rain weā€™ve had this week, Iā€™m surprised no slugs either.

1 - @cawindt - Pennsylvania Map - I think I could jump on a bad conference about nowā€¦ also a long road trip!
2 - @HarleyGirl73 - a magnificent Puffin with a catch! They are such beautiful birds! I hope you have a break from the heatā€¦
3 - @Cruzin - Kantishna - end of the road! And your are going to be in one place - YAY! Quick sale I hope!
4 - @hkappespc - Dragon from Lord of the Rings - wonderful card! Hope your heat and smoke are better - ours is still bad!
6 - @mikeyz1 - Peas in a Pod - cute and yes, they look felt! Good luck going back - my husband is dreading the return to campus (heā€™s been there full time and pretty much alone)
7 - @treeclimber - Camel - a cute color me card ! Our garden has been cuke heavy too - the heat was too much for the zucchini though
8 - @Shesa-Renegade - Darling cat knitting from the early 20th century - I love these cards!
9 - @mere5oh - Jetoy kitties - they really are unique - good luck with your crazy schools schedules!!!
10 - @emotis - woman making a ball of yarn - and it looks homespun! Oh, I envy you your trip !
11 - @LaurenceB - a pair of lambs! What a cute card!
13 - @ladybug513 - Puffin - they are such amazing birds. So glad your tip was a delight!
14 - @dnrhott - Glow in the Dark seal - so clever - Hope your new job is going well.
15 - @Agneau - A Nigerian Weaving - amazingly large looms that they use! So pretty! Heat/smoke - the summer theme this year
16 - @hootnoodle - Sigiriya Rock - so pretty - what a view! Being really careful here too!
18 - @4kids2pay4 - the unknown windmill - I love this one! Awesome that you made a quilt with Mom!!! great memories are priceless!
19 - @ellistrations - Mice knitting - I love this card - what a charming artist!
21 - @Beachyblonde - Hopper Strait Lighthouse - we actually visited St Michaels and never made it to the lighthouse ā€“ itā€™s so pretty!
22 - @uconn - Parrot on a bicycle! I am always amazed when these fun places are still open!
23 - @PostAddy - The unknown windmill - one day I will find out where this is!!! Hugs to you and your memories of Grandma!
24 - @roxy - Knitting Owl - what a charming card! Beware of yarn addiction! LOL!
25 - @jenhart - Dragon - very interesting one too! Yes, you knew me as FlagGazer.
26 - @jenhart - Sunset Fly by at the Arch - great picture. Too bad they donā€™t do that anymore!
27 - @TwoDoggies - Virginia Multi card - Iā€™ve been many of these places - I need more time in Virginia!!! So cool that you finished the blanket!!!
28 - @sleepyhippo1 - The Knitting Girl - I do love this painting! thank you so much!
29 - @melvnoble - portrait of an immigrant - what an amazing lace headpiece! I love these old pictures!
30 - @RockyRoadTrip - Sharing a hos with a camel! This is actually a funny card - well I laughed as I am sure you thought I would! I love it! Sheila the Kissing camel! LOL

Thank you all.
I have received all of my cards except #20
And this week we started getting some regular mail delivery at last.

5 Likes

Wonderful cards received over the past few days:

#29 @melvnoble sent a the Last Conversation piece - bronze art by Juan Munoz

#27 @TwoDoggies sent a fabulous new Elvis card for my collection!

#14 @dnrhott sent a beautiful view of Bruges, Belgium.

#12 @yarn-lady sent two cards - a sweet sheep with a cat and the Slark and Letchford tombs in Cypress Grove Cemetery

Thank you everyone!

#29 - Iā€™ve had a busy week so hereā€™s A BUNCH of postcards Iā€™ve received recently!!

#1 @cawindt - Thank you for this postcard from Cuyahoga Valley National Park! I have been here for walking trails and Iā€™ve ridden on the train twice!

#2 @HarleyGirl73 - Thank you for this view of the Canadian Rockies! Looks so lovely!

#3 @Cruzin - Thank you for this Doctor Who postcard! I have seen the trailer but I havenā€™t seen the New Yearā€™s special yet, so I need to catch up!

#4 @hkappespc - Thank you for this awesome postcard advertising for Donkey Kong Country! Love the Game Boy Color! I do still enjoy games on Switch. I like Animal Crossing and PokƩmon Snap currently.

#6 @mikeyz1 - Thank you for this fantastic postcard of Kamala Harris and Joe Biden! I also saw Joe Biden at an Obama campaign event. Something was happening at the time so Bill Clinton took Obamaā€™s place for the stop in my city. Neat experience!

#9 @mere5oh - Thank you for this Lantern Press postcard of Historic Philadelphia! I am rooting for you with the new job! Youā€™ll do great!

#11 @LaurenceB - Thank you for this cute postcard of an astronaut saying ā€œSee you soon!ā€ So whimsical! Glad youā€™ve been enjoying working from home. I have had to continue going to work in person!

#12 @Yarn-Lady - Thank you for this little owl peeking out of a tree! Such a cutie!

#13 @ladybug513 - Thank you for this beautiful LOTR postcard of Minas Tirith. I love seeing these depictions!

#14 @dnrhott - Thank you for this bright pink fish! Iā€™ve never seen a fish this bright before!

#15 @Agneau - Thank you for this shot of the Surveyor 1 rover seeing its shadow on the Moon! Iā€™ll look into books by Connie Willis! Thanks for the recommendation!

#16 @hootnoodle - Thank you for this view of Packwood Lake! Such a beautiful view! I bet it was a great hike!

#17 @NittanyLionRI - Thank you for this shot of Ron and Harry from the movies! I do love Luna, my fellow Ravenclaw, but you gotta love Ron!

#18 @4kids2pay4 - Thank you for this sweet chimpanzee at Lincoln Park Zoo! Going to odd places sounds so much fun! I wish I was more aware of quirky places like the worldā€™s largest toothbrush!

#19 @ellistrations - Thank you for this gorgeous art of Team Rocket! Thereā€™s so much to see each time I look at it! Itā€™s so great!

#21 @Beachyblonde - Thank you for this Olympic postcard showing Menā€™s Shot Put! I had so much fun watching the Olympics. It was fascinating to watch shot put and hammer throw! Love the Olympic stamps too!

#23 @PostAddy - Thank you for this great postcard from an Astronomical text showing the phases of an eclipse! The matching total solar eclipse stamp was perfect!

#24 @roxy - Thank you for this AMAZING knitting owl! Two of my favorite things!? Glad youā€™ve found your knitting groove again! I have quite a few things that I want to knit/crochet but Iā€™m trying to finish my current WIPs first!

#26 @alcott1 - Thank you for this pretty coastal sunset! I donā€™t see too many sunsets because of where my house is situated, but I do love a good view like this!

#27 @TwoDoggies - Thank you for this sweet owl playing Hide and Seek! Thank you for the owl stickers too! I remember having to find sitters for my dog when I would be away for extended periods. I would try to pick locations I could take her with me, but it didnā€™t always work!

#30 @RockyRoadTrip - Thank you for this postcard of Prince Charles and Lady Diana! I say Lady Diana because thatā€™s what it refers to her on the back. I donā€™t see a date on the card, but that definitely dates it! So neat!

See all my postcards from this RR here!

7 Likes

#22 uconn

Received #4 @hkappespc Dr. Who card. Thanks. Iā€™ve been watching an episode before bed, and still catching up on it

@hkappespc #4 ā€“ Aerial view of the New York Public Libraryā€“I hope your trip to NYC will not be canceled!
@ladybug513 #13 ā€“ ā€œLife Is Beautifulā€ ā€“ Love those bicycles!
@Beachyblonde #21 ā€“ Love the dragon and eagle in the night sky! Beautiful postcard!
@roxy #24 ā€“ The Buildings of Englandā€“Iā€™ve never been to England, but Iā€™ve read so many books about it that I feel like Iā€™d recognize most of London if I ever went there, which I hope to do one day. I love that bus stamp.
Thank you!

1 Like

#21 @Beachyblonde sent me this terrific (and funny) card of ā€œGrand Canyon by Railā€ - - but showing a fellow on Route 66, leaning on a red convertible that looks so much more attractive than the train in the distance! But I agree, Whitney- - the Grand Canyon is amazing, and the card is gorgeous, even if it may not be the best advertisement for the train! :blush: I also love the stickers - - thanks for the sweet little lamb!

And speaking of sweet little lambsā€¦ this has got to be one of the most smile-provoking photographs of a lamb Iā€™ve seen, and the back of the card has a cartoon of the same lamb on its back with its hind legs kicking up, in cowboy boots. Way too much fun!! Thank you, #4, @hkappespc - - and also for the wonderful stamps! I agree, covering up that drawing would have been a crime!

A dramatic, beautifully executed poster for Banff National Park from #2, @HarleyGirl73, with an amazing stamp celebrating Radio Canada, and fun stickers and washi tape. Iā€™m so glad you get to spend so much time outdoors - - itā€™s amazing what it does for oneā€™s sanity in these troubled times, isnā€™t it? I envy you your horses! Warm thanks, from my many-legged home to yours!

This handsome zebra does indeed have a cute look on his face, #28 @sleepyhippo1, and looks as if she / he is about to say something funny! Weā€™ve been so lucky here in the Ozarks - - itā€™s been moderate, all summer, with only a few days at all uncomfortable, and no drought at all. I wish you didnā€™t have to suffer through the extreme heat - - thank you for taking time in the middle of it all, and sending this wonderful card! I love the unusual stamps, and the adorable kitten sticker, too! This card was such a pleasure!

#6 @mikeyz1 sent this stunning painting of ā€œWild Horses of Nevadaā€ by Maynard Dixon (1927) - - I love those deep indigo and violet shadows! You can almost hear the hooves beating - - I can see why this painting is so pleasing to you, Mike! Thank you so much for choosing it - - and your stamps are amazing! That 3-cent stamp of Samuel Gompers all by itself is a treasure. Many thanks!!

1 Like

Hi everyone! Iā€™ll be doing an update of this month tonight and then will open September. Thanks for your patience.

1 Like

#30 @Triol - beautiful zebra, thank you! Also enjoyed the quote and the sunshine tape. :relaxed:

Look for my daughter Lauraā€™s name in the credits on Pokemon Snap! (Can you tell that Iā€™m a proud mother?)

1 Like

#25 received

2 @HarleyGirl73 : beautiful aerial view of Edmonton. I grew up in a state bordering Alberta but Iā€™ve never been to Edmonton - but Iā€™ve seen lots of Oilers games!

#21 @Beachyblonde : Lantern Press bicycles of the world. Iā€™m so glad I added bikes to my profile. Iā€™ve gotten such great cards!

#24: Thank you Brenda for a new Florida map. I want to take a Rail Canada trip if everything ever opens!

#28 @sleepyhippo1 : new Iowa map. I was in love with the University of Iowa and wanted to go so bad (Iowa City is so gorgeous) but ended up at Wisconsin due to out of state tuition. Still have
a soft spot for the Hawkeyes though

Thank You!!

1 Like