What to do if a card is travelling for a while?

I tried an experiment. The first three cards I sent which expired were all to other countries. I sent each one two more cards, weeks apart, labeling them “attempt #2,” etc. One was finally received. The other two were not.

That may be what would happen if others send multiple cards. One-third or so may eventually be registered. Two-thirds may not get there, or might but the person has become ill, or has lost interest in the group…

I’ve decided if cards expire, just to ignore them. I’ll look at the positive, of the many cards that do get there and get registered!

P.S. I once sent a birthday card to a woman a few days before her birthday. I lived 8 miles south of Sacramento (a city of a million.) She worked in the city center. She received the card a full two weeks after her birthday, and that was a decade ago! I could have carried the card to her in 30 minutes! So, postal services can be unpredictable, anywhere in the world, at any time!

5 Likes

I normally don’t resend occasionally I will resend in the States sometimes to Germany. I wouldn’t resend to someone who is not extremely active
Some areas take a really long time esp now. I recently got some cards from May recently

1 Like

Last week I got a card that was written because the first one of the writer was expired. Two days later the first one, the expired card arrived. And the last month the post needed longer and I live in a big city. Even a lost card arrived these days, to late to register. So maybe your card will find its way. PC teaches me a lot to calm down and to get used in waiting for something.

4 Likes

Thank you everyone! All the feedback has been very helpful and I will work on being more patient. It has been so helpful hearing others’ experiences.

1 Like

Hi everyone, I’m pretty new here (May '21) - I have 3 cards sent out that are taking forever (in my mind) to get to their destination. These are Italy (40 days), China (38) & Belarus (36). Is that OK or should I resend?
I actually ended up resending a long-delayed USA postcard to Pennsylvania & that worked! Please advise, thank you!

4 Likes

I have never resent a card. Those time lengths aren’t too long yet. I’d wait it out. Cards to China and Belarus tend to take a long time from North America. Most of my cards to China arrive after 60 days.

4 Likes

wow, okay, well that is very helpful! :slightly_smiling_face: Patience is not my virtue.

1 Like

No, don’t resend yet and the reality is, it’s part of Postcrossing that cards get lost sometimes.

After 60 days, the card expires & you will get another address slot & you continue. If the card arrives in the next 10 months it can still be registered.

I’ve only sent a 2nd card twice now in my 1st year of Postcrossing - resending cards doesn’t guarantee it arrives the 2nd time, especially to countries much farther away. But remember, the vast majority of cards DO make it to their destination. Hang in there!

3 Likes

Postcrossing teaches us all patience and as the Delta wave is increasing in many places, postal delivery is slowing down and so we have to be even more patient.

Doing trades, tags & lotteries on the Forum can help with waiting for your official cards to arrive.

OK, thank you - I see what you mean about “that’s part of postcrossing” :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I would give it some time. I am fairly new as well but when I sent the first 5 cards I had one arrive within a couple weeks. But the 3rd card I sent although registered actually expired before it finally arrived. I just received a card from Turkey that took 84 days. So patience is key. As other users have commented try to get active on the forum or peruse user profiles to get a sense of what everyone is seeking, so when you do send a card it meets most of the desires.

3 Likes

68590_full-master-yoda-quotes-patience-80-most-famous-yoda-quotes-from-star-wars-yoda-funny-yoda

It is up to you. If you can afford to resend a card, do it. I know a lot of people would like all their cards received and registered. I have learned to roll with the punches.

Not every country’s post is working like the US. Delays are inevitable. However, you will learn by doing and soon you will have experience and then in the future can decide, should I resend? Or let it go?

Its a learning experience.

Best of luck.

5 Likes

Thanks! Yes, I have been playing tag & really enjoying that – I’ve just started looking into RR – kind of confusing, but it looks like fun.
84 days - yikes, i’m going to need patience coaching :grinning:

2 Likes

hahaha, noooooo, patience? OK thank you, that is good advice. I’d rather not resend, but sometimes it just bothers me & I know things do get lost (or mangled)

Patience is key, especially when starting out. It can take a long time for Postcards to arrive and a few do get lost while traveling. Hang in there. It will get better.

1 Like

Side note, trades, tags, and swaps actually seem to arrive faster than “official” PC cards.

1 Like

I think so, too!

I can’t even wait for the microwave! But I’ll try :wink:
thank you!

Feel free to join food and drink rr if you need a practice run for rr protocols (not that is very complicated but just to get the hang of it) come over and join food and drink rr which I happen to host Food & Drink RR :smiley:

Spain-USA (CA) 74 Days
Spain-Russia 88 Days

Those are my tops. They’ve already told you you’ll train patience here, but maybe showing some timings will help.