What to do if a card is travelling for a while?

My card traveled to Russia 30 days. That’s form Latvia, a neighbor country.

3 Likes

As said above, don’t worry too much. The cards only expire after 60 days and even so, they may arrive after that and be registered - your card has 1 year to travel. Also, when a travelling card expires, the receiver’s address is given to another person. So resending is up to you, but most people don’t think it’s necessary and I would wait a bit longer to consider doing so or not. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about it. I had my very first one expire. NZ to Russia. But got a surprise on the 68th day when it was registered. :grin:

3 Likes

Most people don’t resend. I resent maybe twice in 4 years. The FAQs state it’s not necessary but up to you really.

In any case, never even think about it before 60-90 days, especially for Russia and especially with the pandemic.

I’m considering resending a card I sent to Hong Kong last June, and I’m still not sure what I’ll do… I thought that one was an easy win but it never got there🤔 but then I usually prefer to concentrate on new addresses.

If your card is not received, the recipient’s address will be selected again because they’re due a card, you’re not leaving anyone card-less :wink:

4 Likes

Thank you everyone! This is helpful and reassuring. I appreciate all the feedback :smiley::yellow_heart:

2 Likes

No, no one will be card-less, and in fact the arrival of resent cards can make the imbalance even higher for people who are already having trouble maintaining any sort of balance in their sent/received ratio, see this thread:

edited to fix link

Re-edited to say that I know @elikoa is very familiar with this issue! Posting for anyone else who isn’t. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I sometimes resend when the card reaches 100 days if they person’s account is still active. Most of the time the second card will reach them.

I have received 2 cards lately that have been traveling for 300+ days and going by the postmark I think they are resends. I’ve also just received one that has completely expired, just a little sad I can’t even let the person know I got it eventually.

I haven’t bothered with the last few expired cards. Am really disappointed my card to Malawi never arrived but I didn’t resend as the user has not been active that whole time either.

3 Likes

I recently received one resend that had expired.

If you send a message to the Postcrossing team (Help-Contact in top right of Postcrossing page) they may be able to give you the username of the person who sent the card so you can send a thank you, even if you cannot register the card.

3 Likes

Recently, Russia-USA postal connection is very broken :frowning: I have postcards arrived from/to Germany in 8 days, but USA takes 60+.
Many of my pen-friends in USA told that they receive pack of cards to their address, only top of which belongs to them, so they have to bring them to post office to send them to other USA users

I would not resend in current conditions. I can tell every time when a cargo flight from certain country arrives - then all postcards from certain country received at once, I believe same happens on other side. If other users resend to me, I send a thank-you postcard when both cards arrive

5 Likes

I would just let it expire. I have some cards which are registered way after they expire, probably because of the delay in mail services. I will just use the free slot to send another postcard to someone else around the world.

2 Likes

Similar to others, I usually do resend after 100 days expired (only if user’s profile shows they have logged in recently & are actively receiving other cards still)…

But I agree that in the current pandemic conditions, things are still very slow with USA mail… So I will probably change my resend day to 175 days expired. I know I don’t need to resend, but I also know lost cards are part of the snail mail game, so I like to resend with a note about how the first one is lost, just because I find it interesting to wonder where all the lost cards end up.

1 Like

First of all I have to say I LOOOVE Postcrossing. I’ve received the most wonderful cards from all over the world. I feel like I have new friends everywhere. Thanks to everyone who participates!

Now - the very first card I sent went to Siberia - how cool is that? (Pardon the pun :smile:) 91 days ago and has never been received. Is it ok to send another ? The recipient appears to be reasonably active, joined a few years ago with no activity but has sent and received more than 20 cards in 2020. So - would you try again?

3 Likes

There’s a similar topic here:

1 Like

Thank you! That’s very informative. I’ll wait & see
Regards
Maggie

1 Like

After you have been sending cards awhile you get to know if cards are taking way too long and may be lost. In the US I usually send a second card after thirty days of the original not being registered. And write on it why I was sending it.
Overseas is more tricky especially now mail is slow. You can look at their received cards to gauge how quickly they are receiving cards. Thirty days is not really overdue, especially to Russia. I rarely resend to countries other than US. Simply because mail is slow now. If you have waited and the person is registering other cards from your country you can message them and ask if they have received your card, perhaps they just forgot or you can ask them to look around it. Maybe fallen by the mailbox?
It is frustrating now, I am having cards even sent in the US come close to expiring. Hope that helps.

2 Likes

I’ve had 2 cards expire to the US in the last 4 months from Canada, both eventually were received. Don’t forget all the postal cuts made to USPS plus more & more postal workers are getting sick in outbreaks worldwide.

The pandemic is teaching us even more patience, sigh…

1 Like

I write my return address on the card in case something goes wrong. I will resend if I get my cards returned, but if not, I will just wait for more time.

2 Likes

I tried an experiment. The first three cards I sent which expired were all to other countries. I sent each one two more cards, weeks apart, labeling them “attempt #2,” etc. One was finally received. The other two were not.

That may be what would happen if others send multiple cards. One-third or so may eventually be registered. Two-thirds may not get there, or might but the person has become ill, or has lost interest in the group…

I’ve decided if cards expire, just to ignore them. I’ll look at the positive, of the many cards that do get there and get registered!

P.S. I once sent a birthday card to a woman a few days before her birthday. I lived 8 miles south of Sacramento (a city of a million.) She worked in the city center. She received the card a full two weeks after her birthday, and that was a decade ago! I could have carried the card to her in 30 minutes! So, postal services can be unpredictable, anywhere in the world, at any time!

5 Likes

I normally don’t resend occasionally I will resend in the States sometimes to Germany. I wouldn’t resend to someone who is not extremely active
Some areas take a really long time esp now. I recently got some cards from May recently

1 Like

Last week I got a card that was written because the first one of the writer was expired. Two days later the first one, the expired card arrived. And the last month the post needed longer and I live in a big city. Even a lost card arrived these days, to late to register. So maybe your card will find its way. PC teaches me a lot to calm down and to get used in waiting for something.

4 Likes