Remove Stamps without Damage

Sorry, if it were me, I would use the best glue to secure the stamps, because I was worried that the stamps would fall during transportation, so it would be impossible to remove the stamps.

1 Like

I use ā€œPure Citrusā€ to remove them. It works on all stamps (USA, Brasil, UK, Russia, Italy, etc). The orange smell goes away after a while and thereā€™s no damage.

1 Like

Interesting! Iā€™ve heard butane also works.

Butane did bad things to the colors on the stamps. I tried that method and it made some American stamps become ā€œpastelā€ looking.

Thanks so much for letting me know! Itā€™s been on my list to buy to try. Disaster avoided thanks to you!

1 Like

Does anyone know how to rescue stamps from an envelope after someone has put clear tape on top of them? I think maybe they did that to avoid it from falling off if they werenā€™t sticking well. But they basically stuck a row of beautiful stamps on the envelope and then sticky tape on top of it all. I am afraid to pull the tape off and then rip the stamps :frowning_face:

1 Like

I sent a postcard to someone who specifically asked for cards to be in envelopes so they could easily remove the stamp. You could ask people to do that.

1 Like

Same. I started on one side where the stamp was ugly and I didnā€™t like it so much. All the colours came off and it was ripped to shreds when I tried to use my nail to get it off the tape. So now I donā€™t dare do it to the stamp I really like, haha.

2 Likes

For most of the stamp I use my kettle. When itā€™s almost at boiling point I hold the part with the stamp in the steam and then I can peal them off easily.
Not so much for US stamps, which really is to bad because of the awesome stamps Iā€™ve got.
I will try the label remover mentioned above, hopefully that will do the trick.

1 Like

there is a liquid called ā€˜sticky stuff removerā€™ which you can buy in the UK, which basically dissolves glue. for instance if you peel a sticker off the front of a book & it leaves behind a residueā€¦ you could try buying something like that & using a very small paint brush to dissolve the glue around the edges of the stamp until you can peel it off.

I usually just immerse the stamps completely in water, and wait for it to automatically soak off. But it sometimes doesnā€™t work, especially for stamps that are self-adhesive. If then, I will use another type of solvent to soak the stamps.

For those kind of stamps I guess you could try to use non-water based solvent like heptane or just the liquid in the light

Steam them above the water you boil for tea, like mentioned above.

1 Like

Iā€™d just like to say that I find most sticker stamps peel off for me easily from envelopes just like any other sticker. I cut them out first and let them sit for a couple of days as they seem to dry out and lift up nicely. Of course, there is a risk of ripping them, I suppose but it hasnā€™t happened yet. I havenā€™t tried to remove any from postcards.

Years ago I collected stampsā€¦the old glue kind are easily steamed off cards & envelopes

1 Like

I use self adhesive stamps for making stamp collages. Removing them requires a special chemicals and I canā€™t buy those in my place :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

steamed; :ok_hand::joy:

Ive added this request to my profile. As long as the sender has an envelope and it doesnā€™t cost more to send. 100% an ask not a demand.