Recipient deleted image

Not quite on topic, but I’ve just received a Postcrossing message saying that the sender of a postcard I received has deleted the image.

I thought that, once received, only the recipient could change or remove the image.
Dies anyone know the circumstances under which the sender can remove the image ?

Thanks

He can if the image was uploaded by him. You have the option to upload the image yourself, and if you do he can’t delete it.

7 Likes

I delete images when the person sends me something that isn’t a postcard, but a folded card. I wouldn’t want another user to mistakenly favorite it and then receive something that isn’t a postcard. I would also delete something political or something too sexual. I just don’t want to see it. :person_shrugging:

1 Like

I have deleted images and uploaded my own when I felt that my photo was better than the one they originally attached to the card.

4 Likes

A member recently deleted one of mine, guess it didn’t fit their preferences

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: When the sender deletes the image they uploaded

I am a long time member and there was a time it wasn’t possible to upload the postcard as sender (I think??). So postcards from that time are simply lost. So I will never reach a 100% wall and that is simply not my goal. I like sending a card and I hope the receiver likes it.

I sometimes delete cards to replace them with a better picture. But in a certain period I didn’t have time for that. It is still on my to-do-list… I hope to have time to upload them someday.

Sometimes I get a message about it and depending on the tone, I will let them know I will upload it again in the future or ignore it. One member got a bit intense by sending me multiple messages about it, claiming OCD! In this tread I read severall members claiming OCD as a reason for wanting a complete wall. Are you sure OCD is the reason? You know, the official diagnose?

I hope that everyone who is offended, shocked or sad because of a deleted picture, will be oké about it in the future. Because there are maybe a few cards missing, because some dislike having a wall, disliking the card or whatever, there are soooo many other receivers who love your card. Not just for on the digital wall, but showing it off to people they know. That is what I do with the ones I like best!!

6 Likes

I recently encountered a behavior that I am curious about. I noticed the receiving person deleted not just my card- they deleted all their received images for the last two full pages on their list.

Her profile said: “don’t be sad if I delete your card, I always upload them.” (Which is interesting)
I could care less if they delete my card - honestly- my sent wall is BORING. But that’s just because I try to send what people want- and many want a card about the sender’s home area. I don’t find cards of where I live interesting.

But- I am super curious why this person deletes so many and if they load them again… what a lot of work! People have a lot of little things about postcrossing they enjoy. I am not judging- just a little baffled.

4 Likes

I had someone delete my image once and then they uploaded a scan of the card about 2 weeks later, along with scans of several other recently received cards. I think they like the consistency of their own scans and to have the “travelled” postcard image on their wall and they batch the cards, scanning many on a given day. I don’t have a scanner and do my best with my phone camera, but my images aren’t always great (especially if I’m taking the pictures at night, which is most of the time!)

7 Likes

Confused me when someone did that a while back with me as well.

I think @SilverHare is likely correct. It’s not something I would take the time to do- but everyone has their own parts of postcrossing that are important to them. I spend time looking for just the right card, because I enjoy that part- some people get stressed trying to do that and pick cards at random. The beautiful thing is the flexibility of it all. And that the forum exists for folks who decide they’d rather just swap here. I’m so new that it’s all interesting- including finding out what people are very particular about.

2 Likes

I like some amount of consistency on my wall, and I will upload received cards if either the quality is not great or there’s something else in the photo besides the card, etc. Just preference!

3 Likes

I will post a picture before I send it because I want to fill all of my walls.
If a photo of the postcard I receive is not on my wall, I will still take my own photo and put it up.

Once, a recipient replaced the photo I had put up.
However, that person’s wall was a photo of all the postcards placed against the same background!
I could understand that they preferred that style, so no problem there.
Rather, they photographed it again in the style they preferred and put it on the wall, so I felt valued!

If they would have just erased it, that would have been sad.

2 Likes

I have sent a postcard to someone who wants to keep their received wall empty. The person deletes all photos. So annoying! :cry: This kind of behavior doesn’t bring me good feelings!

5 Likes

I find this mean spirited, specially if the cards people like this send get to stay on their walls. For sure if I happen to notice they do this before sending them a card, I wouldn’t feel like making an effort to send them something special. I’d just send a basic card I’ve already sent several times before.

6 Likes

It’s within the rules, and it happens how often? Once in 80 cards? (Probably much less).

As with many things here (and in society in general): shrug, accept, forget and move on

6 Likes

Fortunately, very rarely, almost never. It only happened to me once and I’ve seen max 5 such profiles over the years. But I think the persons behind these profiles make others send them not so nice cards. At least I wouldn’t send my favorite card.

2 Likes

Well, that is their risk (though of course this leads to the broader philosophical discussion about the dynamic of giving presents (just like in this episode when Lisa gave non-reader Bart a book as a present)).

For us affected senders (I had two deletions so far) we only can ask ourselves how much power we want to give to these experiences. Be annoyed and ungood and full of revengeful thoughts one minute? One hour? A year?

3 Likes

Would love to keep all my cards on The walls,
but if deletion ever occurs all i can do is-

"Keep Calm and Carry On”

I hardly ever look at my sent wall.
If I have a really lovely card, I take a photo of it. There is always the risk that the card won’t end up to a wall even when the member would scan all their cards, because sometimes the card is lost.
So if I want to see some card, I buy many, or take a photo, or keepit :smile:

1 Like