Receiving more cards than you send

I sent about 50 cards before receiving any, and I still hadn’t been told I’d reached a limit.

1 Like

I was inactive for around five years or so, and prior to me returning to activity, I believe I had sent 300 cards, and received 283 or so. I started sending recently again, with my first card in this new ‘era’ being received on 5th September 2021. Only one person got a card from me on that day. In response, look how many times my address was drawn that day (that I know of so far).

That’s one card being sent, and eighteen in turn being received. Quite a lot!

3 Likes

Welcome back @lucky2002
I remember your name from the Bingos.

Thanks! Not to go too off topic, but I got back into this recently and I’m excited to be back, this time in adulthood.

3 Likes

My country is #64 in the list so for years I used to get more cards than I sent. Recently it’s been the opposite, I’m sending tons of cards and not receiving.

Hi fellow postcrossers

Until last week, my postcrossing adventure happened like this: I sent a card, I received one a while later, I sent two, I received two. But now I have sent 11 cards and keep on receiving cards. My total is 18 already now. Do you have any idea how this is possible? I thought your sent cards and received always had a similar number. Now I feel obliged to send lots more myself. Of will that only result in receiving more? :slight_smile:

Davina

That’s because you are in a rare country and your address has to go out more than the address of someone in (for example) Germany for the system to be fair and fun for all.

I can’t stand it, it makes receiving cards so random - in May a hundred, in June a few, in July to August nothing. In September again a hundred and the cycle continues. Obviously this is only a rough idea of how it feels to me in my rare country. In this scenario I’m sending around 40 cards a month.

In the past, when I lived in Finland, cards arrived in a more consistent fashion. This was nice.

My solution - I go inactive for long periods of time. I still keep sending cards. Then, when I feel like receiving a flurry of cards, I activate my account!

1 Like

Well, this is not how things are anymore. At least the cards I receive are sent in batches.

For example the latest time when I finally catched up with sent cards again. September 10th I got hurray message saying “now YOU will receive a card from another random member”. (Before that the latest message like this came in July 20th) Next my sent card was registered the 12th Sep. So far I have received 16 cards sent on 11th or 12th September. (I have excluded later dates of cards sent to me from this because quite many cards I had sent were registered after 12th September.)
Luckily this time some of the cards have travelled quite long so all 16 cards didn’t come on the same day.

That’s good then lol I wouldn’t be complaining either. I sent 7 cards and only 2 of them are registered and I received 1 postcard back. I am still waiting until someone register my cards so I can be free up to send more cards. Unless someone on here like to message me and send each other postcards till I’m free up again? Lol

@anon89957932 you can join tags https://community.postcrossing.com/c/games-activities/tags/86 or round robins https://community.postcrossing.com/c/games-activities/round-robins/14 or do some swaps or even get penpals https://community.postcrossing.com/c/trades-requests-offers/13 :slight_smile: Lots of activities here, and they are often of interest to those just starting while they wait for things to speed up and get more exciting :smiley:

right now i have 15 more received than sent. sounds a bit ridiculous to me, so much. and it’s not like the netherlands is such a rare country.
it means that one week i get about 4 cards every day (that’s a lot for me, i don’t send a lot of cards) and then some weeks almost none. luckily i still get some forum mail in between or it would be a bit sad.

I’ve been receiving a lot of cards, it looks like my address was given out about 19 times between 8th and 10th October. Only one card of mine was registered on October 8th. I wish my address hadn’t been given out so many times, sometimes I go weeks without any mail just trying to catch up with my received count.

2 Likes

Hi! I do have a question: I saw a profile who had received more postcards than sent. How is this possible?

Hi! The answer in the official site F.A.Q. is:

“The algorithm for selecting addresses is complex and there are instances when your address will be selected a bit more often than you expect. Count it as an early bonus — your sent/received numbers will even out in the long run.”

It has been discussed also in this thread:

Personally I have now received a few more cards than I have sent, because my address was given out when I had lots of cards travelling, but many of those got expired due to unexpected mail delays. At the same time I was sending less official cards as I was more active in the forum games. Now those long travelling cards of mine (hopefully) start gradually arriving and I will send more official cards, so the amount of sent cards will soon catch up with the amount of received cards once again.

2 Likes

I wonder, what could be the reason for me to receive one postcard only from September until now ??? Given that there are registered at least 15 of my postcards in September, October and November and about 15 more traveling?
:disappointed_relieved: :disappointed_relieved: :disappointed_relieved:

After I observe the day when one of my postcards arrived and the day when another user get my address, it seems that someone will send you a postcard only if your postcard arrive. Therefore, the last postcard for you may be sent after September.
Additionally, the COVID epidemic makes the time of travelling longer than before. In our country, any postcard and letter should be checked carefully by customs before delivery.
Please be patient, if your postcards were registered, you will recieve some soon. They are on the way to your mailbox. :wink:

Hi! Looks like you’ve received 361 cards, and only successfully sent 353, so you’re not currently eligible to receive cards. Once the cards you’re sending arrive and are registered, that should be enough to make you eligible again!

Postcrossing doesn’t work exactly one-for-one, the algorithm sometimes tries to anticipate, so sometimes you can end up with more received than sent. It’ll always even out over time, don’t worry!

1 Like

yeah it’s because you’ve received more than sent. i have this problem as well. i receive a loot of cards in one or two weeks and then i have to catch up again (send more) so i’m not receiving cards for a long time. you can check your hurray e-mails though, if it’s says that you’re getting a card, like this

you can start waiting for one!

it’s because you’re not living in one of the bigger countries, like russia or germany. so your profile/country gets given out more because people don’t want to send to germany.

1 Like

I think it’s more than sometimes! :grinning: Those of us who don’t live in the HUGE Postcrossing countries (Germany, USA, Russia) are all in the same boat. Once we have more sent than received, our address will be given out numerous times. Then we will have more received than sent, and have to catch up. At least you @tobain have some in the post, so hopefully they will be registered soon.

As an example, I was in your position, but on November 7th, two of my postcards were registered, which meant I was due postcards again. But instead of my address being given out twice, because I was owed two postcards, it was given out 15 times.

6 Likes

This is because the are expired - not registered or not received. But they are counted after 60 days.