Randomly Selected Postcards for Users

I have a reasonably sized collection of cards waiting to be sent and I’ve organized them so I can find what I’m looking for, so I’m usually able to match the recipients wishes. On the rare occasions where I really have nothing suitable, I write something along the lines of “I have nothing that matches your wish list, so since today’s date is the 16th, I’m sending you the 16th card in my stack”.

I haven’t had any complaints yet.

4 Likes

If I can match a wishlist, I’ll do so but if not - yep, I just pick one at random. I don’t say on the card “This is a random card”, I do write a bit about the card or take a writing prompt from the profile.

5 Likes

That’s when I use one of the Zazzle cards from my own photos, such as this one to fill the message area about the building, and my connection to its location.

5 Likes

Although I have an introduction about myself on my profile and a list of things I’m interested in, I pretty clearly state that anything goes. I’ve gotten some beautiful cards that I would have not have gotten if I had a very specific list.

If I read a profile and have nothing that matches, I will usually send a map card of my state and talk about where I live. If anything in the profile sparks my brain I will pick a card along those lines and if it isn’t obvious I will explain why I picked the card I did. I do try to honor the “do not send” list, especially if it relates to politics, war, phobias, ad, handmade cards.

3 Likes

After having to negotiate draws of profiles with such ultra specific postcard requests in more than one context here on Postcrossing, I am appreciating more and more the approach of sending a randomly selected postcard.

I think the profiles are helpful when determining the receiver’s preferences for postcards. If only users could keep their interests and preferences general so that the sender can interpret it however they want.

1 Like