Quoting several quotes

@paulo I am not the only one anymore who stumbled upon the weird quoting bug:

[quote=“ckip, post:289, topic:903, full:true”]

[quote=“ckip, post:287, topic:903, full:true”]

SHOULD LOOK LIKE THIS INSTEAD:

Somehow, > are added and they distort the format.

I can’t fix the problem. But if you copy the contents from the previous post, and create one list without quotes, you avoid the problem. And a list without the quotes takes less space and looks neater and easier to in my opinion. Just my two cents.

I am not a waterfall, though I am related to water.
I am not a cave, but you can find forms of me in tourist caves.
I am not a cave formation, I am for the most part man-made.
I am not a cenote, most of the time I’m found above ground.
I am not a pool, you shouldn’t get wet when you are on me.

1 Like

I found it in the Sandbox when I was playing around and I don’t think I will encounter it often but as you can see above, it did happen to someone who was not playing around.
You can also still have quotes of several quotes that are displayed correctly if you remove all “>” and spaces that are added automatically.

A quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of… is it really necessary? :hushed:

Ultimately it needs to stop somewhere: one can’t just quote an indefinite amount of quotes and expect it to just work for any nesting level: it’s not practical or realistic. Most often, one doesn’t even need to quote at all (ie: since we can reply to a specific post) and, when quoting is needed, one just needs to quote what the person to whom they are replying wrote and not the rest. For those rare cases where one needs to quote a quote of a quote — that’s already supported… but do we realistically need more? How much would be enough? Or, in other words, is that level of quoting really needed for context of the reply, or is it just adding noise to it?

My point is, we need to pick our fights (against features/bugs) and this really seems to be edge case that is very unlikely to happen often. Your example even shows someone quoting not someone else, but herself, multiple times. If anything, the current behavior of the quotes discourages that sort of use and I find that to be a good thing?

2 Likes

Yep. And it occurred again in the same topic by a different user :see_no_evil:
I guess, no matter how ugly it is, it is still easier for some postcrossers to just quote yourself in these games.
“unlikely to happen often” – it happened three times already as far as I know.
But, of course, this is really not important, this is merely complaining on a high level, first world problems. I love the new forum :hearts:

[quote=“EtTu, post:624, topic:903, full:true”]

[quote=“EtTu, post:622, topic:903”]

Funnily enough, I was just going to copy and paste my text to continue my list but when I highlighted my text the quote button just popped right up. I figured that seemed easier. As a mobile user who does not preview my posts, I only see the last few lines in the tiny window and did not see how the formatting was, whoops. :woman_shrugging:

I’ll not be doing that in the future after seeing this, I agree it is pretty bad.

You can quote several quotes without it looking this bad if you remove all instances of “>” that are added automatically for some reason.

Then it would look like this:

It’s a bit of work though. So if you want to quote everything in the first place because it is less work, I don’t think this is a good option :upside_down_face:

@paulo This bug already appears with the second quote but it gets uglier the more it is quoted.

I think when you are quoting a quote, the parser adds a ‘>’ symbol when it encounters a blockquote tag. In Markdown, the ‘>’ symbol is used for quoting text.
I do have to say that instead of quoting multiple quotes, it’s better to copy each line and that is easier to read as well :slight_smile:

There is a post referring to the Quoting bug here, it looks to be what you’ve encountered.

1 Like

I agree that it is better to just not do this :wink: or at least quote them separately or remove the ">"s or…
But it is rather popular in that topic. Happened again with a different user. This is what happens if you quote just one quote within the text that you quote:

The first paragraph has been ripped apart and it looks like there are three quotes when really, there are only two. Three quotes are worse:

[quote=“truenorth_49, post:666, topic:903”]

It looks like there are four or even five quotes and there is also this: [quote=“truenorth_49, post:666, topic:903”]. And I agree, two quotes within a quote are a bit much already. But one quote within a quote… That is not that uncommon, is it? And while it is easier now in the new forum with direct replies, I still find it hard sometimes to find or remember what the people are referring to. Also, you can only reply directly to one post, not to several. Quoting more than one post can be easier to follow the conversation in certain scenarios in long topics with multiple conversations happening all in one place – as long as they are kept short. Or if you want to quote a certain part in a discussion at a different place like I did here.
In the end, I also don’t care much about this since I know to avoid it. It is only annoying to look at when you stumble upon it – and in that game, you have to look at it if you want to play. I could also send the culprits each a private message telling them to stop writing ugly, I guess. But I don’t think I will do it :sweat_smile: At the moment, I just wait for that round to end and join the game again at a later date.
But, well, by quoting them like this, maybe I am already calling them out :thinking: (Sorry! I don’t know what reasons you have to create these monsters, I am sure they are justified somehow, maybe.)

Yep, you’re calling me out quite publicly.

I didn’t know how else to add all the clues on my phone. Glad to hear you know how to avoid it, I didn’t. And my round ended quite a while ago.

1 Like

I am sorry, I’ll keep quiet from now on. Don’t want to step on any more feet. I just wanted to prove that it doesn’t happen as seldom as paulo claimed.
Apparently, this happens easily if you use a phone instead of a pc. I only know how to avoid it because I played around with this in the sandbox.
@truenorth_49 This is not your fault! It’s a bug. I also didn’t want to imply that I was waiting for your specific round to end, I didn’t enter the game for a long while actually and had no idea who was host of the current round. And when I looked at it again and saw the reappeared quoting of multiple quotes, your round was already over, if I remember correctly. But this will probably be a reason for me to skip the game whenever someone quotes too much and the software distorts it.
I feel like I am digging my own grave here.
I will stop and just ignore it from now on.

1 Like