Questions about the forum

Is there a place where a forum username links to their official profile ?

You have to hit the :postcrossing: button in the usercard or profile

1 Like

I’ve only used Firefox and Safari and the experiences were very similar. However, this forum is easier to use on pc than on a phone.

2 Likes

Oh, thank you Feuerstuhl !

While watched topics are pretty much the same as the subscriptions in the old forum, the favorites function did not move to the new forum. Instead, we have bookmarks and tracked topics here and they are two separate things.

Bookmarking is the first thing you learn when you do the postbot tutorial! If you would like to do the tutorial (and learn a lot of nifty tricks), follow these steps: Go to your avatar in the upper right corner and select the message symbol :email: Open the very first message you received in this forum called “Greetings!” and do whatever postbot tells you to do.

The tutorial starts with a bookmark:

You can start the advanced tutorial by typing “@postbot start advanced tutorial” in that same message.

However, you can not only bookmark topics, but also single posts and even private messages so you can also use the bookmarks to create To Do Lists.
You can find the bookmarks by clicking on your avatar in the upper right corner and then selecting the symbol. They will always appear in the order that you bookmarked them.

If you like to have your favorites ordered according to last activity or want to have both a to do list AND a place where you store all favorite topics - but both of them separate, then have a look at the Tracked Topics. You can follow @Kanerva’s instruction how to mark a topic as “Watching” or “Tracking” and if my memory serves right, you can also learn this in the postbot tutorial. The Watched Topics are pretty much the same as subscriptions but Tracked Topics are not exactly the same as favorites since you will always have a little counter with them of how many posts in the topic you haven’t read yet (which, depending on your personality, could be annoying, so choose well whether you want your RRs as Tracked Topics or Bookmarks or a mix! You can simply mark all of them as read on the Home page though by clicking “Dismiss…”, without actually having to read them.)

You can find your Tracked as well as Watched Topics by hitting the burger menu next to your avatar in the top menu and selecting “Tracked topics” or “Watched topics”. The unread Tracked topics will be under “Unread”:

5 Likes

This is possible using bookmarks too. When you use the keyboard shortcut (g,b) to get to bookmarks, it opens up this page -> https://community.postcrossing.com/bookmarks
Here, you can toggle the activity header to order posts/topics by latest activity. Messages don’t show up on this page though. :thinking:
I’m also not sure whether shortcuts work on mobile.

2 Likes

Neat! So you can use them just like your old favorites (at least on pc). And everyone who wants to use bookmarks as a to do list, for all private bookmarks to be included, we have to go to the avatar menu :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello to everyone!
I am slowly getting familiar with the new version of the Forum and meanwhile two questions appeared, with one (about the colours) already solved.

The other question is: once the transition period will be over, will it be still possible to edit the data on the old Forum? As you can see on my old profile I keep a list of many missing places that I am looking for. Currently I put only link from my new info page to the old one, but as I am constantly updating the places (adding or removing them), I would like to know how the best way how to continue with that. Would the best option be to simply open a new theme in “Request section” and continue there? Any other suggests are also much appreciated.

All the best.

5 posts were split to a new topic: Mobile layout looks weird

They’re even better than the old favourites as you can activate reminders, e.g. when you want to close your lottery, or once a month to update your bingo lists…

1 Like

New question: I replied to a tag, using “message.”
It is not clear to me if I just wrote out my address in public view of the internet or not.

(If someone presses “Summary” will they see my address, which I wish to keep private?)

Thank you!

D2M2

At the top, you can usually see where you are.

If you look at the “topic” which you assume to be a private message, is there a :email: symbol in the upper left corner? Like this:

If so, it is a private topic that only you and the other participant(s) can see.
If that and the avatars are missing and instead there is a category listed (in this case Postcrossing-Help! You can also click on it to get to the category), then it is a public topic:

8 Likes

When I clicked the reply button, there’s a blank white screen popping up on the bottom half of the screen when I used my computer.

I have no problem on my phone.

Do you mean the preview screen? There you can see what your reply will actually look like before posting it.

2 posts were split to a new topic: URLs with commas and exclamation marks

A post was merged into an existing topic: URLs with commas and exclamation marks

5 posts were split to a new topic: Resizing images

2 posts were split to a new topic: Add to home scren

A post was split to a new topic: Post excerpt of pinned topics

Hello! I’m sorry for disturbing you. Could you tell me please how can I understand that my private message has been read? On the old forum I could see it…
Thanks in advance for your answer!

2 Likes