Questions about the forum

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Q&A for External Albums (Flickr, Zonerama, etc.)

Hi everybody. I am from Croatia and I have an question. How do I start a forum site?

Welcome @JSSDNN !

Do you mean starting a new topic by yourself?

Then it’s probably this:

Welcome @JSSDNN
And sorry, I moved your question to the wrong Topic first, but it’s right here.

Hello, I’m a bit curious about the “Forum Veteran” badge. How do an old forum member own it?

Those badges were given automatically by the system. There was some script that was responsible for that.

1 Like

Thank you!
Is it given with certain conditions, such as activity or time limit?
I was active in the old forum around 2013 and then left for a few years. Just now I logged in the old forum and found my account still there, but I never own the badge :thinking:

I’m not sure how that worked. Maybe @paulo can say more about that?

1 Like

Thank you! It’s not a big deal, I just happen to notice many members have it and can’t help wondering how that works :laughing:

2 posts were split to a new topic: Questions about sending mail to the US

@elenion - Did you have a different username on the forum than on the mainsite? If yes, did you fill out the mainsite username in the forum profile (there was a box for that)?

If the usernames were different and the mainsite username wasn’t included in your forum profile, that is probably the reason why you didn’t get the badge.

1 Like

Yes the usernames are all the same, I remember I filled out the mainsite username when registering.

(old forum)

(new forum)

(main site)

Ah! I think this probably has to do with the fact that you don’t have any posts on the old forum at the moment… If you have some emails that can show your previous participation on the forum, get in touch through the Contact form — we’ll sort it out. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for your reply!
Now I get it :star_struck: It was too long time ago and all my posts got deleted. (I was confused for a sec then remembered it was a normal feature of the old forum so I didn’t think more about it.) That must be the reason why the badge wasn’t given automatically. Thank you! That helps a lot :+1: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Can anyone please tell me what might be the point of removing yourself from a two person private conversation/message?

It’s happened a couple of times now, that I’ve noticed. It’s only on communication that has already naturally ceased.

As an example, they or I ask for a detail, a reply is given, thank you is made, days pass, then the person removes themselves from the conversation (there’s a line at the bottom of the message stating that they’ve removed themselves). The entire message chain is all still there and entirely visible to me.

I discovered the first instance of it happening because something arrived in the mail and I went back to say thank you…and found the person had ‘removed’ themselves. I still sent the ‘thank you’ message. I think it still went. Were they gently indicating they did not wish to be thanked perhaps?

I understand if it was a group message to multiple people and the conversation was still going and I no longer wanted to be a part of it, and wanted the notifications to stop…then, of course, I’d remove myself from the conversation to make it stop.

But in a simple two person transaction that has already ceased…what possible benefit could be achieved from doing so?

I’m eager to know why people do it, so I can assess whether I should be going and removing myself from all my ‘finished’ private messages too.

Thank you!

1 Like

It’s the only way of delete messages. If you don’t want to have a “full” and messy inbox, as you can only archive (and then you have a messy archive), removing yourself is the only way of decluttering. I do that in swaps/trades that both parts receive their mail and no more conversation is needed.

That’s up to you ultimately :relaxed:

1 Like

Thank you @bom_dia! That makes sense.

I have two questions…
1/ when I send a ‘reply’ message (to the person who has ‘removed’ themselves) saying ‘thanks for your card’…will they still receive the new message?

2/ do our inboxes have a limit on the number of messages they can contain? E.g. Will I stop receiving messages at some point…until I ‘declutter’, thereby freeing up some space for new messages?

1 Like

I think the answer is no to both questions, but I remember someone talking about this some time ago somewhere in the forum…

Edit: here

You’ll only be talking to yourself if the other person has removed herself. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Can’t find anything about your 2nd question… :unamused:

1 Like

Thank you again @bom_dia! :+1:t2:

1 Like

There’s no limit to the forum mailbox allowance… for now. This may change in the future, depending on how full/expensive things get. :sweat_smile: So far, so good!

4 Likes