Questions about the forum

Hello @Cliffside, I think many of us are trying to figure out how to manage the flood of emails from the Forum. If you click on your avatar (top right corner of Forum page) > your username > Preferences, then click on Notifications on the list of sub-files on the left side of the page, you’ll be able to make a start at limiting the kinds of email notifications you get.

To print an important message, you can go to that message and hit Command + P (on a Mac) or Control + P (Windows), or you can go to your browser menu and find the Print command. There’s a more thorough discussion of this here and here.

To go quickly to a specific reply in a topic, you can use the scroll bar to the right of every topic. You can click on the first or last date on the scroll bar, or place your cursor on the active part of the bar and drag it to the reply you’re looking for.

Hope this helps.

4 Likes

I’ve just found something FANTASTICALLY useful.

Have you got the Pinned Topics Blues? Tired of seeing the same topics at the top of the list all the time? Me too. Here’s the good news.

You can Un-Pin them! :smiley: :man_cartwheeling: :cocktail: :rainbow:

Go to the last post in that thread and you’ll see this.
Screen Shot 2020-12-08 at 16.31.54 Click on that, and you can Un-Pin it. Brilliant.

2 Likes

You don’t even need to go to the last post in the thread. Just click on the little pin beside the title.

Has anyone else had an email, apparently from here, asking for help with a school in Kazakhstan and filling in a survey?

No, but I’ve seen a post about this here on the forum. The post was flagged for moderation.

Is that why I couldn’t find it? I was beginning to think it was a message from the main site to my email address.

I don’t know what kind of email you exactly received (maybe because you watched that topic where they posted it, or it was about a received PM etc). Either ignore it or contact the Postcrossing team.

Hello dear @SailingBy,
If the post has been reported and you cannot find the post either, I advise not to respond.
Probably this is “spam”, as it was reported on the old forum.

This morning I saw that post in at least 3 topics I was tracking. First I flagged it as off-topic, then as spam. Maybe it appears at the correct place now? I don’t care enough to search for it.

Thanks for the replies. How very odd this is. I’ve deleted the email now, and wouldn’t have clicked on the link in it anyway. :relieved:

Hello Maleko,

Thank you for your message and suggestions. Sorry about my tardy reply, but this week started out very bad and is getting worse. I did find your suggestions useful. Still have to review the print thing.

Regards,
Ron

1 Like

Can we please, please disable the interception of the browser’s Ctrl+F search on the page? It’s sooo inconvenient and super annoying… :pray: :pray: :pray:

Sometimes it helps if I press ctrl f twice…
Otherwise I think your suggestion should go to the #postcrossing:suggestions category in order not to get lost in here.

The CTRL+F hijacking annoys me very much too but I don’t think anything can be done. When I first found out that this doesn’t work the way it should, I even read a long discussion about it on some Discourse forum for developers or something.

Long story short - they (Discourse developers) did it on purpose. Because there is no pagination here and the topic shows itself to you “in parts”, you could only search with “normal” CTRL+F browser search the part that is currently visible (I don’t know how many posts there are). The results in the posts that are not visible would not be found. Hence the search function.

Pressing CTRL+F twice is the only solution and I find it a blessing when I search for example in the first post of an RR (where there many groups/names etc.). Forum search in such cases is to me very annoying, I just want to see for example how many times my own username appears there or something similar…

I really like the list of “tracked topics” and “watched topics” we can see when clicking the “burger menu”. Is there a possibility to access a list of “muted topics” by clicking somewhere? I’ve clicked through the menus and didn’t find anything…
(It’s no needed in the burger menu though, I guess…)

(But at least while typing the above text I realized that I could find out the url that is needed for showing the muted topics…)
https://community.postcrossing.com/latest?state=muted

Wow! I didn’t realize I had muted so many topics - they didn’t appear anywhere on the forum for me any more… (That was what I wanted but also forgot about those straight away :wink: )

2 Likes

Is it possible to (technically supported) ignore users whose profile isn’t visible?
I wanted to try something and didn’t find the ignore button in someone’s profile that was set to hidden profile.

@Reisegern

here you can add users who you would like to ignore or mute

1 Like

At the moment the only link to it I’m aware of is in your account preferences (click on the Show links). They don’t make this easy to find — which is why we added to the menu.

I think muting someone should work regardless of their profile visibility. Haven’t tested this, but I don’t see why not.

1 Like

Hello,

how can I edit a post in the forum, when postcrossers already answered? There is no symbol anymore.
Thank you.

Lara

Hi! This is about trust levels. On TL1 you can edit your post only for 48 hours after posting. On TL2 there is no time limit. (Normally it takes about 2 weeks for an active member to get promoted, if one isn’t already a forum veteran).

3 Likes