Questions about the forum

Thank you @meiadeleite. I will do my best not to abuse the privilege!

Hello. I just want to share some feelings on what I have seen recently.

In this forum, many users open topic for their questions.
Of course, there are many users open new thread for their questions.

However, in such cases, their topics may be similar to other existing threads, thus their topics would be moved the destination threads by moderators.

I think this is a good way for users to get the destination thread. It helps a lot in gaining information.

However, usually, these destination threads already have hundreds of replies. Let’s consider a situation that, a new user, perhaps his/her mother language is not English, is faced with hundreds of replies in the destination threads. It is very possible that this user would soon be tired of reading the replies, of get missed in which reply is the correct.

Therefore, when moving the new topics to existing threads, maybe it would be a better idea to add something, such as which reply is useful or a brief conclusion on the answers.

2 Likes

I just got know about postbot yesterday. Followed the way as the bot mentioned. Soon start advanced tutorial only mentioning about the preference and the gear button only. It not teaching. Is there any commend should we follow other then start advanced tutorial

Hello @Ryuuen
Yes, it is part of moderators work to merge Topics with the same theme → Admins changing my topic with no context
If we move a Topic to another one no one has to read this Topic with it’s many posts.
You can do that, but you don’t have to because usually other users answers to the new/old question again.

Beneath the 1st post of every Topic you can choose “Summerize this Topic” , so there is no need that a moderator or admin give you a time consuming conclusion.

1 Like

@chris0 write @postbot start advanced tutorial during the chatting with the @postbot :wink: :+1:

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @postbot display help.

Welcome! It’s not a ridiculous question at all… in fact, you just made a post! :smiley:

I assume what you would like to do is to make a topic instead though, or to start a new conversation. As a newbie, you can’t yet do that… but if you stick around and read a few topics here and there (maybe do the postbot tutorial on your messages too, which helps understand how the forum works), you’ll soon unlock that ability.

So explore the forum a little bit, and we look forward to seeing your around!

1 Like

I’m new here, please can you explain to me how I can start a new thread? I’m interested in creating a lottery.

Hello @ErnestoZA
I moved your question to this topic.
When you asked for that you were a very new member and you had to explore the forum before you could open a lottery.
Now you’re a basic member and it should work.

How do I find specific users official postcrossing profile from the forum? I am interested in joining a Tag but can’t seem to then find a link to their profile to pick a suitable card. So I haven’t clicked to join yet!

Hi @Rolybear ! When you click a person’s avatar, this opens up:

Then you can click the :postcrossing: and it takes you to the person’s official profile.

2 Likes

Thank you!!

1 Like

Just curious - what is the “Do not disturb” option for ?

Look here:

1 Like

Thank you. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: New on the forum and need help about Postcrossing? Ask here!

I have a question about the direct messages on forum. I had been exchanging messages with a person directly in order to swap something , but recently I realized that there had been a caution as below

“@(person’s name) REMOVED THEMSELVES FROM THIS MESSAGE JAN 1”

and in front of this, I see this mark⛔️

Does this mean she had left that page of which she had been communicating with me , or has she just deleted her message that she had posted ?

I sent a new message recently after that caution but would she receive my message ?

Please someone give me an advice . Thank you so much in advance.

When people want to keep the “in-box” of their private messages tidy, some people “delete” the older messages by removing themselves from the whole discussion. That means they can’t see any of those messages anymore.

If you write to the same thread, they will not get the message as they don’t have access to that discussion anymore. If you need to contact them again, you will have to send a completely new private message.

There is no need to send a new message.
You can invite the user again to the same message.

Click the “Add or 'Remove” button , then “+” and ínvite the user.

3 Likes

@Kanerva
@Bille

Thank you very much for your advice !!!

1 Like