Question of Finland stamps

It was not a Nazi symbol when it was taken into use. Here is some info of it.

9 Likes

Wow,I really don’t the history of that symbol.It really makes me confuse,thank you for the explanation.

It is an ancient symbol… so there are numerous findings of this all over the planet. Sadly the nazi’s used it for their own and now it’s a very negative symbol.

3 Likes

That’s really sad, happened to some nordic runes as well. Very right-wing organizations use them and now you can’t see them neutrally anymore. :confused:

1 Like

That is really sad,I’d like to know if some one from Finland sent that stamps to Germany or German people use that stamps,will that break the law? @Axolotl_

1 Like

I’m no expert, but trading with original nazi vinyl records for example is illegal. Also using the symbol in a way that’s not clearly for education purposes. I don’t know if it’s allowed to trade old stamps from that time for historical purposes, though?
Though I know the particular stamp has nothing to do with that ideology, I would advise not to use it to send something to Germany. It could too easily be misunderstood. :thinking: I doubt anyone would be sued for it, but better be safe than sorry.

Maybe one of our fellow Postcrossers who works in law knows more about this. :smiley:

Edit: Oh, I just noticed that I once got a card from Guernsey about the time they were occupied by the nazis and how they were liberated. That seemed to be ok to Deutsche Post.

1 Like

Yea I know,that stamps issue in 2018,so it still can be use in now days.I am sure some Finnish postcrosser will use that stamps to sent postcards.That may very dangerous to recieve such stamps on postcards

I don’t really think you’ll be held responsible for it (at least I hope so!), though some people might ask questions. Or maybe the piece of mail could even be destroyed if it’s noticed? Those are really good questions. I don’t know if they’re allowed to refuse it because of the swastika symbol. :thinking: :thinking:
Best solution would probably be to glue it over with a sticker or something.

Then again, maybe they know that in the Finnish airforce it has nothing to do with the nazis and they don’t care at all? I’m really not educated enough on this.

1 Like

Yea,German and Finland are all in Axis during WWII,so I don’t know other countries will think about that stamps. The better way is to avoid to use that or reject to recieve any cards/covers using that stamps.

1 Like

In case you want to read the sections in the German Criminal Code (Strafgesetzbuch) on “use of symbols of unconstitutional organizations”.

I think there was also a bit of a discussion about that topic in this Thread. Maybe you’ll find some more interesting information there as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

In summary one can say that if the Swastika (Hakenkreuz) is used to glorify the Nazi era or to exhibit ones ideology it will be punished and if its use/display “serves to further civil enlightenment, to avert unconstitutional aims, to promote art or science, research or teaching, reporting about current historical events or similar purposes” it won’t be punished.

This Finnish stamp was also discussed in this thread:

5 Likes

Can you tell me what year shows on the stamp? It looks to be above the word “Suomi.” Difficult to read on my computer screen. I tried looking it up in my catalog.

Do you mean that if you received a postcrossing official postcard that has this stamp
you would not register it? How is the stamp dangerous. I suggest to learn some history.

They are from 2018. There are four more designs in this series.

The stamps were issued out June 4th, 2018 to celebrate the 100-year-anniversary of Finnish Defence forces. There are 6 stamps all together, showing the past and the present. The two stamps pictured represent the Air Forces. The plane on the left was donated to Finnish Defence forces by Swedish Eric von Rosen in 1918.

I think that @aegisW meant that it might be dangerous for the recipient of the card just to receive it (the card might bring the recipient trouble from the local authorities because of the symbol), nothing was said about registering or not registering.

1 Like

Yes.Some country may bring recipient trouble with that symbol.

I don’t think any German would get trouble, it’s a historic photo of a plane. No glorification.

I wouldn’t like to receive any of those stamps (all on that sheet) though as I don’t like military themed in any way.

But the people of Indian origin are using their svastica and does not take into account that this symbol has been tainted by a bloody regime. I have seen it on the door of Indian people accomodations in England. Also in my country there are some tryings to return svastica among other ancient signs and ignore the Nazi efforts to appropriate this sign. The swastika does not belong to the Nazis, the Nazis are not the only legal owners of the swastika.