Question about postcards and mail from a journalist

Oh! Oh, I feel bad for not remembering that’s when IWD is. But in Australia nothing special happens apart from a bunch of companies and politicians making social media posts, so it’s easy to forget it’s coming up. Maybe I should start something and send cards to all my women friends!

1 Like

Postcrosser from China :cn:

1. Greeting cards are usually available in post office and supermarket, about 1 buck each. You may also buy a box of them for a lower price from an online merchant.
  2. You can send your card on post office counter or just simply drop it into a postbox.
  3. Domestic postcard costs 0.8 Yuan (about 10 cents) each. And it costs 3.5 Yuan (50 cents) for a postcard sent to other countries by surface mail, 4 Yuan (60 cents) for SAL, and 5 Yuan (70 cents) for air mail.
  4. You can choose EMS service or other express service for a faster delivery, but they cost way more than ordinary mail, of course.
  5. In my view, the postage is quite affordable for most people in China.
  6. As social media is highly developed, few people send postcards as a form of greeting now. But I do exchange cards with my pen pals in some big festivals and events.
  7. We usually greet each other in the Spring Festival, which is the most important festival in China. But we generally do this by texting or Facetime on cellphones, rather than sending postcards.
  8. Some companies give their female employees a half-day off on March 8 and there are more public discussions about women’s rights and interests in recent years.
    Hope these provide you the information you need. :slightly_smiling_face:
1 Like

Could you please translate your post from Russian to English, so that everyone can understand it? English is the forum language and other languages are only allowed in #meetups and #communities. Thanks for understanding.

I’m sorry, I may have misunderstood you. But my post is in English, at least that’s how I see it. Only one comment for a participant from Russia is published in Russian.

One of your posts, the one I replied to, shows up as Russian. That’s why I asked you to translate it.

This is the answer to the participant from Russia. But if it is so important that all messages are in English, I will also add a translation.

Yes, please translate it to English, even though it’s a reply to one specific person.

1 Like

Additional information in PRChina:

1.I didn’t see any postcards for sale in supermarkets. In some stationery stores you can see some, and mostly we should look for them in online shops (and they are usually sale by box). Maybe the situation is different in larger cities.

6.People here don’t send holiday cards by normal mail anymore as I know except snail mail enthusiasts or tourists at scenic spots (and only if the scenic spots happen to offer postal service). Express service is well developed, but sending a postcard by express seems to be unreasonable, so no either. Most people even don’t know how to mail a ordinary postcard.

7.Yes, usually by sending messages and making phone calls and video calls. Post service is not convenient anymore and people seldom check their postboxes so I won’t send a postcard to them without informing in advance, otherwise it may cause inconvenience.

8.Legally yes as it’s Women’s Day, but I don’t know any women (my relatives, my female teachers, etc) have day-off or half. We have been taught to make cards for our mothers when studying in primary schools, but except that, on Mar.8 usually we only realize it, talk about it for a moment and move on.

1 Like
  1. at post offices and bookshops
  2. with or without envelope
  3. 3.90 Polish zloty inland, 8 zloty abroad
  4. well, there are courier services
  5. yes, Polish Post is twice as expensive as German Post
  6. not anymore
  7. personally, I send postcards, letters, or - for Christmas - handmade holiday cards
  8. yes
1 Like