Profile: Add option to show age

We can switch between ‘nothing, day/month, and day/month/year.’ I’d like to show my age without revealing my birthdate (some sites use it as second-factor for account recovery :frowning: ), and not lie about it also as to not have someone send mislead birthday wishes.

Please consider adding at least one option of:

• only Year (and age if day and month are given)
  • only Age-Bracket (18–29, 30–45, 45–60, …)

The latter does not need to be computed on-the-fly or daily. Every so often a batch job would do.

25 Likes

I agree! I have been thinking the same thing. I would like an option that only shows the year of birth and age.

3 Likes

I think this would be good. I don’t have to have my birthday on the site, because I hate birthday wishes and also the birthday is part of my ID-number so it has always felt weird to have it so public despite of it being absolutely not a secret (and nor are the ID-numbers, but still). However I would like to have my age listed instead. At least sometimes.

3 Likes

:+1:t3:

Great idea, I really like it.

It’s a good idea! I sometimes get requests to exchange cards or letters from much younger people that are disappointed to find out I’m “very old” :sweat_smile: So, I would like to show my age to everyone without having to display my full birth date.

3 Likes

Would writing it yourself on your profile not work? I’ve seen some people do that.

7 Likes

I have already suggested to the administrators to display only the age (without birthday).

3 Likes

That would be not standardized, not visible at a glance; and especially for people not speaking English as their first language harder to pick up.

Also, I have upped my stamp-game and would use one of the “tales from my country” if the recipient is <18. Recently stumbled upon a profile where apparently the parent(s) dropped it as hint, the account were for their child – but the hint given as sentence written from the POV of a third-person.

Interesting one. I would never, ever write my date of birth on a site like this, nor my exact age (at least not on the profile). But an age bracket, I could consider…

1 Like