POSTMARKS and CANCELLATIONS across the globe! [NOT commemorative ones]

It could probably read “use your”.

1 Like

Some more inkjet machine cancellations with advertisements from Singapore.

This one from 2018 with a little reminder to post early for Christmas:

These two from 2019 to celebrate Singapore’s bicentennial:

3 Likes

Thank you, @Cassiopheia ! Oddly enough, even though the ink is a lot paler than the black ink, the date etc. is better readable than with most German black inkjet cancellations. I’ll send out my collector’s items to the three Briefzentren. :smiley:

Great catch, @Oo_Hawkwind_oO! It reads indeed “Use your”. I corrected my post. Thank you also for the other Singaporean advertisement cancellations!

I’m scanning postcards again and found a cancellation from North Korea.

12 Likes

A typical postmark from the Philippines.

2 Likes

A much cleaner scan of a typical Hungarian hand-issued postmark, showing post office “Budapest 181” (Budapest 181 Posta, located in Budapest Airport T2A), Magyar Posta abbreviation “MP”, Date “2020 02 05” and stamp code “NA” (differs by stamp/office)

1 Like

The 2 lower ones are from Japan. Can anyone tell me a little more about them?

@aerobear the red Japanese special postmark is categorized as a 風景印 Fukei-in. Here is Japan Post’s description. You have the second postmark in black ink, because they need to add the stamp in English for international mail.

Those postmarks are from a Post Office in an outlet mall in Hiroshima. It is Japan Post’s first post office that is dedicated to their mascot, ぽすくま Posu Kuma (Post Bear).

Outside and inside of the post office.
PosuKuma1 PosuKuma2

And here is my rare postmark.
USA McMurdo research station in Antarctica.
Antarctica
Yes, I deliberately chose the Penguin stamps :wink:

8 Likes

Cat cancellation says “Ensi päivä” (in Finnish) and “Första dagen” (in Swedish) which means “First Day” of issue.

1 Like

I received a Hong Kong machine cancellation today.

1 Like

Hi All, not sure if any UK Postmarks have been added or discussed, apologies if all ready mentioned.

Here are some standard Ink-Jet Postmarks on UK domestic 1st and 2nd Class rate letters

Postmarks from my local Mail Centre - Greenford/Windsor

Postmarks from other UK Mail Centres.
For domestic mail, Royal usually put on slogans of sponsors, at the moment most of them are Coronavirus messages or National Health Service (NHS) healthcare sponsors, most common one is about Mental Health issues.
Most international post won’t receive these Postmarks, normally just the wavy lines, the processing Mail Centres name, date and time, this usually applies to both domestic and international postcards.

Above are (rare for me, as if I don’t receive an Ink-Jet postmark, its usually the Ball-point or Marker Pen! NOTTINGHAM I am looking at you!) operational date stamps for mail that has been rejected or missed by the printers, they are Croydon (South London) and Nottingham which is blue ink.

3 Likes

… A few more operational Postmarks of the UK

Ink Jet postmark across multiple stamps from Gatwick Mail Centre
Unknown hand-stamp 2nd Class stamp
And interwoven rings of Post Office Counter Date Stamps of 1st & 2nd Class Large Letter stamps.

Here are what postcards recieve, I’ve included one with a pen scribble, as it’s quite common here in the UK sadly.

2 Likes

Today I received a card with this cancellation, although it’s a special one I guess it’s not commemorative.

4 Likes

Saw this photo in the What postcards have you sent or received today? thread and was wondering whether Japan possibly has some kind of new postmark…

There is also one of those on my last card from Japan:

4 Likes

My thought was that the stamp was placed by hand, to ensure all the stamps got cancelled.

It would be interesting to get an answer to our musings !

1 Like

Hey guys, sorry for my long hiatus. I’m always like this with forums: I have fun for two days, and then disappear for a month! But I’m back! :smiley: I have just updated the list in the first post, so that a curious internet-wanderer can easily go through all the postmarks they’re interested in.

All the international mail from North Korea is sorted and postmarked in Pyongyang, even if you send it from other cities such as Kaesŏng, Namp’o etc. It would be super interesting to see what local North Korean postmarks look like but, obviously, it’d be super difficult for us to get them.

I haven’t added these to the list in the first post yet – let’s first find out what these are! They’re definitely postmarks, as can be seen from the letters… They’re probably hand stamps? Idk, the wobbliness in the second picture makes it very unmachine-like :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hand cancellation from Norway :norway:

1 Like

I started looking through my postcards for cancellations I could add here:

Australia

1. Hand and machine
  2. machine

Belgium hand

Belarus

1. oval hand
  2. machine

Canada
hand

machine

Chile
hand

Czech Republic machine

Germany Schiffspost (cancelled on the ferry from Helgoland)

Algeria hand

Finland (2 different machines)

France (2 different machines)

France (Martinique) machine

UK

Honkong
hand

inkjet

India hand

Lithuania hand black

I have some more, but need to look through them first…

9 Likes

Hello!
Summary from postmark wikipedia - Japanese

[European language roller postmark - 欧文ローラー印]

Compared to the European round postmark, there are few post office that are deployed, and many collection and delivery post office are not deployed.

Mail items that are thick or may be damaged when cancellation, such as non-standard-sized parcels, parcels, and agricultural seedlings, and cannot be cancellation with ordinary round European postmark.
And, It’s used to cancellation a large number of stamps at once.
So I think it’s a hand.

[Japanese language roller potmark - 和文ローラー印]

I hope you understand my poor English. :see_no_evil:

7 Likes

Perfectly understandable English !!!

THANK YOU for the information !!!
:four_leaf_clover::v:t2::tulip:

1 Like

Interesting recent arrivals: a Yellowstone National Park postmark :smiley:
and an envelope from Jordan with no postmark at all :roll_eyes:

4 Likes