POSTMARKS and CANCELLATIONS across the globe! [NOT commemorative ones]

6 Likes

@fostis Thats a really cool Platypus postmark. Did you write a postmaster for that mark? If so whats the address.

Off topic i know, mods, but to make it on topic hereis Burgas BG

2 Likes

@princeofasturias

I put a card inside an envelope, all with the correct postage and sent them to the following address:

“To the postmaster
Latrobe Post-Office
Latrobe, TAS 7307
AUSTRALIA”

I also enclosed a small letter kindly requesting the recepient what I needed him/her to do.

1 Like

Recieved by the recipent with the cool postamark:

I thought it was a nice touch that the postmarker made one of the cancellation marks of the cat to connect to the paw of the cat on the stamp. Or maybe I am imagining it was intentional…maybe it is by coincidence.

Smiles, Seaview :partly_sunny:

4 Likes

Baile Átha Cliath - General Post Office, Dublin
Counter Date Handstamp. :ireland:

10 Likes

Here are two postmarked stamps from Cambridge. The post office is the one on St Andrew’s Street. As you can see, the round postmark is the hand cancellation that was affixed at the post office. They told me that they weren’t really allowed to do that as everything is machine sorted nowadays. However, since I was all insistent, they decided to do it anyway (gosh, I probably came across as very annoying!).

The two stamps got double cancelled (the wavy lines are also some sort of hand cancellation). There was no need at all, but I’m not complaining :smile:

Take a moment to admire how beautiful this King Arthur stamp is. I love the medieval atmosphere!

6 Likes

I visit the small island of Ushant (:fr: Ile d’Ouessant) at the moment and I’m very pleased that the old date stamp with the island’s name on it is still available in the small post office. The French post seems to replace them by new ones which doesn’t show the town’s name anymore, but the post office’s ID number instead. There are lists where one can find which local post office belongs to the number, but it’s still quite anonymous and I prefer the nice classical ones with the name on it.
Now I plan to visit the neighbour island Molène and see if the post office there still has an old date stamp too.

4 Likes

Actually this is not machine cancellation, it is hand cancellation!!

First Indian cancellation is also PPC (permanent pictorial cancellation- commemorative) second one is true date Cancellation

Sure it is hand cancellation, I only wrote that I think it’s not a commemorative picture (but a special permanent philately bureau one)

1 Like

No, in the main message if group it had written that india has machine cancellation, and it has link to your post

Ah, I see! :smiley:

1 Like

From United Nations in Geneve

From Hong Kong

10 Likes

Samarkand Uzbekistan postmark :uzbekistan:
‘Samarqand Pochtamt O’zbekiston’

5 Likes

I currently spend a few days on the Breton island of Ouessant and took the occasion to visit the small neighbour island Molène as well. A pleasure to see that the tiny Molène post office still uses the old hand cancellation with the island’s name on it instead the new French ones with just a post office code number.
The number 29 is for the region Bretagne, Finistère is the département which is part of the Bretagne and Ile Molène means -of course- Isle of Molène.

4 Likes

This is a postmark for each post box.

3 Likes

Nice clear hand cancel from the USA the other day

12 Likes

It’s quite sad to see that getting a hand cancel is harder now. I’ve posted this in another thread, but when I wanted to get my wedding invites hand cancelled - you know, to make them look nicer and not smeared with whatever buckshot the USPS machines them with - I was told by a sassy postwoman that it was illegal. I know that is false, but maybe she really didn’t want to deal with me that day.

I managed to get some invites hand cancelled at another location (I am in central Los Angeles), but when they arrived to their destination, they still managed to get the nasty machine/ink stamps (some friend would send me a photo of their arrived invite). Has this happened to any fellow US Postcrossers? Having a double cancellation - hand cancel with machine cancel?

Edit : @Speicher3 - your input on the German post system is really insightful! It kinda answers my question above, but would love to know how our postal system handles it… I would imagine it’s very similar.

Yes, the double cancel is not unusual. It happens with some of my incoming USA mail but also with outgoing Canada Post mail.

I have a good relationship with a few of the postal workers locally and always ask for a hand cancel, they often will give my mail a “HAND SORT” cover so they do not go through the machine. Without the hand sort request and label then about 50/50 get a machine cancel…maybe less than that at the one office…

I am not sure if the US has such an option but it is worth finding a co-operative post office worker and asking them if they have a hand sort option or a protective cover option.

An alternative is to get them hand canceled and then put them in your own protective sleeve before the workers put them in the outgoing mail. I have done this with very special requests to prevent both machine cancel and any damage in transit. You do need a co-operative postal worker though. I have been lucky to have a good ones locally and they put up with my special requests. I bought a bulk lot of poly re-sealable sleeves and have used those with success.

2 Likes

Australia issued permanent pictorials for certain post offices across the country this year and in the state of ACT (Australian Capital Territory) there are these two!

11 Likes