POSTMARKS and CANCELLATIONS across the globe! [NOT commemorative ones]

Hey guys, sorry for my long hiatus. I’m always like this with forums: I have fun for two days, and then disappear for a month! But I’m back! :smiley: I have just updated the list in the first post, so that a curious internet-wanderer can easily go through all the postmarks they’re interested in.

All the international mail from North Korea is sorted and postmarked in Pyongyang, even if you send it from other cities such as Kaesŏng, Namp’o etc. It would be super interesting to see what local North Korean postmarks look like but, obviously, it’d be super difficult for us to get them.

I haven’t added these to the list in the first post yet – let’s first find out what these are! They’re definitely postmarks, as can be seen from the letters… They’re probably hand stamps? Idk, the wobbliness in the second picture makes it very unmachine-like :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hand cancellation from Norway :norway:

1 Like

I started looking through my postcards for cancellations I could add here:

Australia

1. Hand and machine
  2. machine

Belgium hand

Belarus

1. oval hand
  2. machine

Canada
hand

machine

Chile
hand

Czech Republic machine

Germany Schiffspost (cancelled on the ferry from Helgoland)

Algeria hand

Finland (2 different machines)

France (2 different machines)

France (Martinique) machine

UK

Honkong
hand

inkjet

India hand

Lithuania hand black

I have some more, but need to look through them first…

9 Likes

Hello!
Summary from postmark wikipedia - Japanese

[European language roller postmark - 欧文ローラー印]

Compared to the European round postmark, there are few post office that are deployed, and many collection and delivery post office are not deployed.

Mail items that are thick or may be damaged when cancellation, such as non-standard-sized parcels, parcels, and agricultural seedlings, and cannot be cancellation with ordinary round European postmark.
And, It’s used to cancellation a large number of stamps at once.
So I think it’s a hand.

[Japanese language roller potmark - 和文ローラー印]

I hope you understand my poor English. :see_no_evil:

7 Likes

Perfectly understandable English !!!

THANK YOU for the information !!!
:four_leaf_clover::v:t2::tulip:

1 Like

Interesting recent arrivals: a Yellowstone National Park postmark :smiley:
and an envelope from Jordan with no postmark at all :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Now I looked through the rest of my postcards:

Malaysia hand

Netherlands inkjet and Switzerland hand (received that one as poste restante in Switzerland)

Norway machine

Nepal hand

Philipines hand

Portugal
hand

two different machines

Russia
hand blue ink

machine

Slovakia hand

Turkey
hand

machine

Taiwan machine

USA
hand

hand and machine

two different machines

3 Likes

Flag postmark year 1913 (from a thread about surprise vintage postcards)

6 Likes

Postmarkt from Netherlands, seems it can be used instead of stamps

Canadian cancelation from the town of Berwick

And Holiday greetings from the USA

and postmark from Great Britain, probably commemorative, but I haven’t received such before

7 Likes

here is some information to get some special valentines postmarks.

1 Like

I don’t believe there’s been one from Liechtenstein posted here yet, but here’s one I got today from Vaduz:

Another card came in today from Lithuania, although this cancellation is not the clearest:

It’s merely by coincidence that both cards used Olympic stamps. What are the odds!

1 Like

11 Pictorial Postmarks which are offered by 11 philatelic post offices in Hong Kong.

9 Likes

Now this is the hand cancellation :crazy_face:
It seems that someone just used a marker pen. I’ve never seen anything like that before.

2 Likes

The Armenian postmark is one of my most favorite among ordinary ones. It represents a 24 hour dial and shows not only the date when the stamp was cancelled but the exact time!

18 Likes

New Caledonia machine

3 Likes

I received this cancellation from Algeria:

(I needed to - digitally - cut a bit out, so the text is not readable)

4 Likes

Here’s a hand cancellation I usually use at my postoffice on outgoing mail
Lviv, Ukraine

20 Likes

More Chinese incoming mail postmarks! The post office responsible for the delivery to my home has changed the postmark again - with several old postmarks reinstated.

Here comes the fourth version :rofl: In the first picture, you can see the handstamped incoming mail postmark is turning red. As I know, according to the regulations of China Post, all handstamped postmarks (either incoming mail postmarks or cancellations) should be in black and all machine postmarks should be in red. Someone told me that the local postal administration has a new rule of colors of postmarks. Quite confused…

“Toudi 投递” postmarks are in use again, but only No. 4, No. 5, and No. 6. I have been receiving mails every day but never seen No. 1 - 3 “Toudi 投递” postmarks appearing again.

What I’d like to feature in the last picture is the tiny postmark saying “如东路投递部 邮筒1” (Rudong Rd Delivery Department, Mailbox 1). This tiny postmark indicates that the postcard is cleared from the first mailbox on Rudong Road (Qingdao City). In China, each city has designed a postmark to indicate that a mail piece is cleared from a mailbox. These “tiny postmarks” are not unified in format.

4 Likes

This one is another hand postmark from Moldova, on the postcard MD-63972.

Quite different from the previous one in this thread.

3 Likes

UK Royal Mail Parcel Stamp Cancellation Postmark recieved today on a bulky envelope.