Postcrossing story - how did you discover us?

I also don’t remember and I always find that very frustrating! :wink: But I think as I joined on October 9, I must have read something about Postcrossing in relation to World Post Day somewhere on the Internet :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Lilou_lavande Maybe you dissappointed about bookcrossing but quickly you discovered and joined Postcrossing.

1 Like

@Florallle I’m sure when one person discover this great website other peoples in our life start to join Postcrossing.

1 Like

wow! quick :grinning:

Merhaba, hoş geldin! I learned about Postcrossing on Tumblr. The US Postal Services were having some budget issues (it’s complicated and political and annoying) and people were talking about ways to support the post offices. Like buying stamps and sending cards!

Anyway, it was the start of the pandemic. Borders were closing, schools were closing, all our travel plans (two family weddings) were canceled. Postcrossing seemed like a nice way to connect with the rest of the world.

3 Likes

@Janewt Merhaba! I’m glad you wrote in Turkish word. Congrat to you and you’re right Postcrossing is good way to connect with the rest of the world. :blush:

Well I joined in 2014 - actually we were somewhere for a short trip in Germany and I bought some postcards to send them to friends - I saw an advertising on the paperbag of the postcards and thought, I should have a look what this is about - I guess, the paperbag was lying on my desk a few weeks (or months?) - but one day I remembered, that I wanted to have a look - and then I registered immediately :grinning:

4 Likes

@reiselustig Then you became real postcrosser. Great story!

I don’t exactly remember how I found Postcrossing - that was 14 years ago… Must habe been something on the internet. I know that for me Bookcrossing and Postcrossing are connected - I found the link to the one on the website of the other, but I don’t remember in which order. Both weren’t overly appealing - Bookcrossing was complicated and with little feedback (so I made the same experience as @Lilou_lavande), and Postcrossing was only allowing very few postcards at the same time (this has improved now, though I’d rather be able to send more than I’m allowed, at least in December for Cards for Literacy). So when work became more demanding, Postcrossing dropped from my list of interests. Then in 2018 I saw a longer feature on German television about a Postcrosser with more than 1,000 cards received, and I thought, wait, you have an account there as well! So I checked, was able to log in, well, and I’ve been active here since then. :smiley: I’ve participated in Postcrossing meet-ups, created meet-up cards and even organized a few meet-ups myself. :partying_face: Right now I’m more active in forum RRs and swaps than with official Postcrossing postcards, because I get more cards matching my interests that way. I will need to reduce my activity here for a while as work is getting more demanding right now, but I won’t quit Postcrossing completely.

Somewhere I have one of these Schöning paperbags as well. :smiley:

@Ozgedurna We’re telling our stories. What is yours? I’m curious.

3 Likes

@shugal Okay I’m glad for shared with me your stories. I’m telling my story. I was in highschool and I was talking about penpal with my friends. Because I’m interested in foreign cultures and languages.Then I came back to home and I saw a post on Instagram about Postcrossing same day. I thought postcard collection from all around the world it is amazing.Then I signed up. That’s my story. After I suggested to this website to everyone I know. Happy Postcrossing.

5 Likes

@shugal Congratulations! really long time. Happy Postcrossing.

1 Like

If I remember correctly, it was recommended by a magazine for teenagers, under the leisure and activities section where they would recommend websites every month. I decided to browse the website, and hoila! I fell in love and have been Postcrossing ever since (even though I took a hiatus for a few years due to finances).

1 Like

@whitefroststreetboi One more good story too!

1 Like

I think I signed up for Postcrossing after a friend had talked about their received cards on Facebook. Unspectacular story.

2 Likes

I discovered postcrossing in the beginning of January.
I love doing bullet journaling and due to that I am in about 2-3 different facebook groups where I can get connected to other people that love bullet journaling and to get inspiration. So on this day I saw someone posting a spread they had done in their bullet journal about postcrossing!
Other People asked what postcrossing is and when I saw the explanation I joined postcrossing asap!
Now I am very happy that I‘ve seen this post on facebook because I love the idea of postcrossing and it will definitely be a long-term hobby for me.

5 Likes

That’s great!

2 Likes

I joined Postcrossing after a friend started posting the postcards she reveived on Facebook.
I think she is not around official Postcrossing anymore, and I’ve been in a long hiatus on the hobby on the past years, but I’m trying to come back sending 2 or 3 postcards per month since last September.

2 Likes

I can’t remember how I learned about Postcrossing, I must have thought that I wouldn’t keep up with it.

Then last year I was thinking about how to support local artists. I don’t always want to buy art pieces (for that price you have to love to see it every single day and have some space in your house). Then I found that a lot of artists sell postcards of their work, but I thought what to do with all those postcards?

Next to that with working from home, there were days I never left the house. For me it’s easier to go outside when I have a reason.

So now I go out often to bring all those lovely postcards to the mailbox (1 by 1 :wink: ) and get postcards I love as a reward!

And when stores are open, I also support the small local businesses and museums by buying postcards from them.

But it surprised me how much I love thinking about what to send when I read a profile and the joy to find a postcard on the door mat!

10 Likes

@Saouri Nice.

@ScubaET You’re great supporter.