Postcrossing sending limit

I know, but mundoo did not refer to her.

I am also curious to understand what that means?

I would love more slots, especially when in travel mode. Maybe there could be some special additional travel slots? At the moment, I stop sending out official cards at least a month in advance, to ensure that I have at least a few slots available by the point that I’m in travel mode. That’s quite frustrating, especially as it doesn’t mean that all my slots become available in time…

I totally agree with the limits for new users, but I think they should be revised upwards for members who have sent >100 cards, as they’ve proven to be reliable members of Postcrossing and can handle having more postcards on the go.

7 Likes

When you say “all the slots don’t become available in time” what do you mean? I have so far gotten an address immediately when requested, assuming I have not reached my limit.

1 Like

I mean that even if I stop requesting addresses 1 month beforehand in preparation for my trip abroad, there are still cards in transit and so these slots are not available to send cards when I am travelling… So at the moment, my total allowance is up to 12 cards, and there would be around 5 or 6 still in transit for more than 30 days to destinations like China, Russia, USA etc., which means I then only have 6 or 7 slots available to send cards when I am travelling… That’s frustrating because I love sending cards from other countries with different stamps and would love to be able to send more :grinning:

2 Likes

Aw ok. Got it.

1 Like

I joined Postcrossing July2020, so I don’t have a large number of slots. I do think the system is good. The anticipation of suddenly getting a new slot is still exciting for me. It is a slow climb up the mountain the first year. Certainly Postcrossing needs patience.
I like how it works, I think it is just perfect! Some weeks I feel like a real Postcrosser getting a bunch of postcards in one week–then suddenly my mailbox goes dry for a week or so :weary:. Then suddenly there is a postcard in my mailbox :blush: It keeps the thrill going. :mailbox_closed:

2 Likes

Maybe im wrong but i think hes saying he only requests an address when he knows he has time to send a card. Nothing wrong with that. If you know youre busy just leave the spot empty. Better then requestiong an address when you are too busy to send the card

1 Like

Only during that day, then returning to normal counting. It would be amazing if in the 1st October (World Postcard Day) we could send unlimited postcards.

1 Like

That would mean you could pull unlimited adresses and just write to the ones you like! No!

2 Likes

My max is usually traveling, but I think the limit prevents too many getting expired for if someone loses interest.

When I was active years ago, I had trouble keeping up, then this time I felt like I was always waiting because I love sending so much.

I think it’s better because I don’t rush to send them, I can decorate them.

Also, a few weeks ago I joined some Round Robin exchanges in the Handmade RR forum in here, and that has helped me so much. and I spend a lot of time creating those, so there was a day I had 3 whole slots available, which is rare.

I really like creating and I am loving receiving handmade cards (that is my interest).
Maybe you could join an exchange on round robin with your interests instead of waiting for cards officially,

That’s just my experience.

1 Like

I’m afraid that will cause many inactive addresses are being “forced” to be available to the address pool. Although I think technically inactive postcrossers won’t have their addresses drawn, but in other part of the forum there have been few talks about expired cards to inactive users.

So by doing this, it may cause a lot of the postcards sent for that day, will be gone expired

3 Likes

I was thinking the opposite, as last year it got hard to get an address, if I remember right?
So to make things easier, a sending limit only for that day, like max 10 cards per person (just an example, I don’t know what amount causes problems). That would make it easier to let as many as possible to enjoy this, and not too much trouble for the team.

But I don’t know how they are prepared, of course.
I have made some swaps, so these will get the card who want, and I will probably write few officials too.

I think the cards to inactive are the ones that were active when the address was drawn, but sooner or later got inactive, while the card was travelling.

9 Likes

I’m very new (I still haven’t received my first card, though a couple of mine have been registered), and I’m worried about not being able to participate on WPD! This would be great for me, honestly. I have a slot right now but I don’t know how long it’s going to take my other cards to be registered, so I feel hesitant in pulling a new address. I really want to be able to participate on that day.

Even if we all were allowed only 1 additional slot – that way we are guaranteed to have a slot on October 1st – that would be so fun.

1 Like

(To be clear, I wasn’t talking about additional slots.)

I meant, like me, I can have 78 cards travelling. I could save all slots free and send on 1st October.
But that would take 78 addresses, and it would be more fair to give them to 7 or 8 members.
So I would be fine with a limit for that day, that one member cannot take huge amount of addresses.
Or maybe a note like “you already drew 5 addresses, we are having shortage of free addresses, you could help by taking the address later”.

But, if I didn’t have lots of frees slots, I would keep two or three free, if I wanted to send on that day.

7 Likes

If I was you, I would keep that slot now and save it for WPD. As you say, there’s a possibility your other travelling postcards won’t be registered on time, so this guarantees you can at least send one on the day.

5 Likes

I think that World Postcard Day is NOT about the number of cards sent, but rather the number of people sending cards!
:mailbox_with_mail: :postbox:

2 Likes

It’s not about numbers at all!

I like the idea of anyone being able to send a card on WPD (regardless of whether they have an open slot!) but I bet that would be very difficult to implement, technically speaking.

2 Likes

I think there had been an extra card slot for some reason sometimes, but it cause trouble when members “lost” that free slot when it was registered. They asked “my card was registered but I didn’t get a free slot”. I don’t remember where this was written.

And what if it expired, should it be two, or three extra slots.

Anyone can send a card on that day, maybe to their friend, old teacher, a new baby in family etc. It doesn’t have to be official postcrossing address. I know many want that badge, but there is still time, I would keep few slots open from now.

3 Likes