Postcrossing Program for Independent and Assisted Living Residents

I once got a card from the IT department of the Netherlands Mail Service so certainly groups of all kinds do postcrossing. I love this idea.

2 Likes

If you’re looking for something similar for Christmas, there is also this
https://community.postcrossing.com/t/1-carte-1-plume-1-sourire-2023-for-christmas/263330 for homes in France

4 Likes

Thanks for the info, perhaps this is interesting for others here, too.

If I have time I will join first the German project in which I have participated for Easter again for Christmas.
Plus as I said I will swap with Larry.
I cannot help everybody.

I completely agree. It’s probably better to have just one or two of these projects and make a difference there

1 Like

I meant I had already said here that I would arrange a greeting card swap with Larry.

For me it is a question of money spent and especially in the run up to Christmas: of (free) time to write and decorate all the cards.

I also usually write several cards to family and friends. :slightly_smiling_face::christmas_tree:

This year here the prices of postcards and of greeting cards (e.g. sold in shops) have risen, which does not help. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Last year I did not have the time to join even the German project unfortunately. :pensive:

In Finland different kind of card campaigns are arranged in order to send cards to seniors
or lonely teenagers. For example Christmas cards are collected in libraries and then delivered to elderly people´s homes or hospitals by volunteers. We also send cards to our veterans for independence day to thank them for their effort. Several organizations co-operate annually to make this all happen. :heart:

2 Likes

I like that idea too for Christmas cards. When the season arrives, I’ll see if you have time… I realize and understand that we’re all busy. And BTW, I placed a letter in the post one week ago for you. Mail to Germany seems to take about two weeks. Best wishes to you, my friend.

Larry

1 Like

Thank you Ann. I’ve bookmarked that post for the future.

Larry

To me? :thinking:

Generelly it is wonderful that after a couple of Postal strikes, an agreement was reached and we won’t have any Postal strikes in Germany for some time now. :slightly_smiling_face:

What I generelly meant in response to nyassa is it’s great that there are so many projects world wide. :+1:
Please suggest them for other fellow Postcrossers here, not for me personally. Thanks for understanding.

I am so sorry that I confused you with another… a person that I recently agreed to direct swap with. And now I have you confused. Forgive me.

I do appreciate you and your ideas on this. Take care and best wishes to you.

Larry

1 Like

No problem. We will swap in December. :+1::christmas_tree:

If your Mail now goes to Germany it should go “smoothly”. :slightly_smiling_face::+1: -

Let us know here please how your project goes. :smiley: I am interested to read any news about it here.

Greetings from Tucson, @LarryB! :desert:

The Aphasia Center in Tucson has a writing group for stroke survivors with a Postcrossing account, which is led by the director of Friends of Aphasia.

I don’t know anybody in the group personally, but I’m sure they would be able to help with how to get something like this started in another facility or community group. Please keep us updated on anything you learn, and good luck! :postbox: :heart_decoration:

2 Likes

Thank you, Emily. I appreciate your suggestion and I’ll send a note to that group to see if they can help. Best wishes.

Larry

Any news on your project? :slightly_smiling_face:

No ma’am, I’m sorry that I haven’t done anything. I’ve had a pressing health issue going on these past couple weeks but things are improving now. I do plan to visit some local assisted living homes next week and talk with the staff about this project. Will post something after those visits.

Thank you so much for checking.

Larry

1 Like

Thanks for the reply so far.
All the best for you.
And I hope the talks to the other staff will be successful. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

Just writing with an update on this idea. Unfortunately, the administrators do not approve of this… visited three facilities and was met with similar rejections. So many are fearful (and protective) of allowing an outsider connect the residents to strangers through mail or the internet. I guess, with the ongoing threat of seniors being scammed (and that so many are vulnerable) by strangers, I can understand their concerns. Perhaps I’ll just need to solicit holiday cards, later in the year, that can be sent with inbound.

Thanks to everyone who had responded and helped with this idea.

2 Likes

Thanks for the Update here.
That really is a pity. :neutral_face:

However, I think Holiday cards later in the year will be worth giving a try. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

All the best. :slightly_smiling_face:
If you mark me with an @ sign I will see your post(s) then.