Postcrossing in numbers: 2022 stats

Funny to see that tiny Singapore sent more than huge Brazil (and others, but just because I see them next to each other and it caught my eye). Also cool to know that I’m responsible for some of that number (a relatively small part of it, but still).

Definitely interesting to see some stats, thanks @paulo.

(Now I’ll wait for the guy that says there’s less activity than ever and postcrossing is doomed :wink: if he’s still around I’m sure he has enough sense of humour to not be offended by what I just said :))

6 Likes

Wow, Germany sends a lot of postcards!
How much do stamps cost? Is there a relation between the price of stamps and the number of postcards sent?

1 Like

How exciting that we have a U.S. Postcrosser in the top 10 for most sent! Congrats, @BeckyS !

7 Likes

0,95€ per postcard international -only rectangle allowed- (national 0,70€), letters international (<20g which are not allowed to contain any other than documents) 1,10€

2 Likes

ah Finland in the top 3 (okay, per capita) that does feel a bit like the “old days” when it was amongst the top senders.

2 Likes

wow thanks a lot for sharing this information.
Congratulations to all that made this happen.
And especial congratulation to all that made Portugal be in the 24th place, and my compliments to @paisdasmaravilhas for been in the top 100 list members!

1 Like

I know that Svalbard :svalbard_and_jan_mayen: was excluded because the number of members is less than 10, but I am curious on which place Svalbard would be if included in the per capita statistics? I attended the world’s northernmost postcrossing meeting there and we sent a huge amount of cards from Longyearbyen! :postbox: :polar_bear:

@France-Montreal there is indeed. Finland used to be the leading postcrossing country around 2010 when our postage cost ~0,75 €. Now it costs over 2 € and the number of postcrossing cards has dropped drastically over the years. The postage from Germany costs almost nothing compared with the neighbouring countries, if the stamp prices in Germany followed the trend of the neighbours, their postage would be ~1,50-1,80 € I think.

5 Likes

Oh wow, Willi has send ~6 cards EVERY DAY! I had just send my first card few days ago. Impressive! Applause! So much smiles he gave!

4 Likes

@France-Montreal I would say there’s a connection stamp price-number of postcards sent also for Poland.

When our postage was way cheaper (it’s more than 3x as much now compared to when I started Postcrossing and more or less twice as much as Germany, 1.70 euros at today’s exchange rate), Poland was in top 10 and getting more active every year. Now the trend is exactly the opposite and has been for several years.

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Receiving more cards than you send

Money is a huge factor of course! A stamp for Europe costs ~ 1.63€ and for outside of Europe 1.88€ in the Czech Republic. So more or less twice the price in Germany. But in reality it is more like 4x the price because Czech wages are roughly half of what Germans get.

4 Likes

I’d like to work out a formula on the relationship between a country’s postal costs, minmum wage and postcrossing output :grin:

Netherlands is €1.65 as per this year. Thankssss neoliberalism and privatization of public services :grimacing:

3 Likes

Thank you for tagging me on this post. I had no idea that I was on the list. Life is so full of surprises :slight_smile:

6 Likes

The challenge is answering how ‘Svalbardian’ the (wonderful says the lucky recipient) meeting cards are. Because without you guys visiting, not that many cards would have been written by the local capita*.

A statistical dilemma many tiny tourist places face. Similar to per-capita-consumption of beer in a ski resort village or beach district. If you calculate with volume and inhabitants only, without short-term-guests, the locals would be (even more) drunk 24/7 all year long.

Note: Don’t take my thoughts too serious, I don’t want to spoil your experience or deny your cards the honour to be Svalbardian.

*with postcrossing (and the forum) one can learn new things every day. Apparently, capita is plural already (of lat. caput). I have assumed it’s singular (like it is in German Karten/Kopf)

1 Like

I understand this, but for the same reason the tiny Åland has topped the per capita ranking for a few years in a row now: the Finnish Postcrossing Friends Association organizes an annual meeting there with around ~100 postcrossers participating.

3 Likes

Since Svalbard is a part of Norway, they would be included in the numbers for Norway.

Well, Svalbard is a part of Norway, but not in Postcrossing. Svalbard (+ Jan Mayen) has some sovereignity and is considered a “country” here, with it’s own ID; SJ - SJ-273 is an example of a postcard sent from Svalbard.

1 Like

Speaking of postage rates, the United States on 22 Jan raised the price of a postcard from $1.40 to $1.45 for international and from 44¢ to 48¢ for domestic.

1 Like

This stats is quite interesting. Moreover, I would like to suggest some additional data/analysis about the percentage of “sent postcard” per “requested address postcard” for each country/territory. It reflects the performance of postal service in each countries/territory.

e.g. Country A has 100 requested postcards, but 90 postcards reach their destinations. That means 90% of postcards reach the destination. (More percentage means more efficiency for postal service in each country/territory.)

Although some “requested” postcards are not sent, but it should be assumed that all of requested postcards are sent via postal services.

I hope you will consider this suggestion for the next year stats or it will be better if you make this additional analysis for 2022 and present the additional result to Postcrossers.

And now the postal rates are going up again! International postcard will be $1.50 and for domestic 51¢ (starting 9 July 2023)