Postcrossing coincidences: What are the odds?

I posed a similar question a few weeks ago but since then I have received 18 cards all sent on 29th October. I can only have 10 cards travelling at once so how did I hit the jackpot and have my name drawn 18 times in one day?? Off to buy a lottery ticket now!!! :grin: :grin: :money_mouth_face: :money_mouth_face:

4 Likes

A couple of days ago, I received 2 different cards from Malaysia that both had the same quote on the written side. It was clear that it was from the same person, so I thought maybe they mailed one card a while back and thought it didn’t arrive, so they mailed a second.

However, both cards had 2 different IDs.
Looks like the person simply has 2 accounts and drew my address with both accounts on the same day :smile: the IDs end in -792 and -794.

4 Likes

Today I received 2 postcards, one of them with a picture of a deer, and the other with a stamp. Together they look like a single whole. I like this interesting coincidence, despite the fact that these are random postcards, and the deer are not listed in my profile.

13 Likes

I posted above about getting two cards from the same WPD meet up in Germany.

Well, I just realised I got two from a different meet up too, in Estonia! In this case, one is the official meet up card, and one is a retro postcard of the hotel where the meetup (and Postcrossing stamp release) happened.

5 Likes

The tram line on the card is the one that has a station just next to my house! Another coincidence! :grin:

2 Likes

In June I received three postcards in a row/series from Taiwan, -703, -704, -705. Two of them even arrived on the same day.

3 Likes

Today is half moon. I am generally interested in astronomy and the phases of the moon. About an hour ago, I was able to see today’s half moon faintly through the high fog.
Then I was browsing through the Postcrossing site.
Because of a user’s profile, who mentioned the cosmonaut Alexei Leonov, who did the first spacewalk, I came across this card, which I received some time ago:

I kept surfing and looked through my recently received cards and noted that a user name has something to do with the half moon :first_quarter_moon:

So, the half moon was very present in what I did today :smile: :smile: :smile:

3 Likes

Wow, great coincidence.
Once i received two offical Postcards from two different countries (USA & Germany), written on same day, and they both got delivered to me on same day!!

2 Likes

I just drew 13 official cards that all had sequential ID’s. How???
I only had to get on a plane, travel to Denmark, and use travel mode :smile:
I also have official cards traveling sent from three countries right now (US, GB, and DK).

10 Likes

@Hemang
The way algorithm works is that your address will been drawn simultaneously. So, you will see that most of your cards were sent on same days. In case your address gets drawn by people in same country, very likely that they will have consecutive ids.

Few days ago, we were doing countdown for 5,00,000 cards for India and around 15 people draw the same Norway address in a row. I am sure the recipient will be might surprised.:rofl::rofl:

16 Likes

Wow! That’s extraordinary. I think the recipient in Norway is going to be beyond surprised!

3 Likes

Yeah, so many people drawed same person in the race of IN-500000, it was really great moment drawing lots of addresses in just few hours

3 Likes

Tell me what the odds of this are… I received this maxicard twice today, one from the west coast of Australia and one from the east coast of Australia, both mailed the same day and arrived at my house the same day, one sent from a Debbie and one from a Deborah.

67 Likes

I received a postcard from some one living 1000 kilometres from me in my own country, and they used to live in the same town as some of my relatives and knew them!

16 Likes

This is truly an amazing coincidence!!

2 Likes

I just went through all my US postcards to check which states I might still be missing. Then I realized something interesting:

On August 11th, 2021 I received my first cards from Georgia and Iowa - my adress was drawn on August 1st in both cases and the IDs are exactly 10 cards away from each other: US-7757422 and US-7757432. I thought it was pretty nice that two people from different states would draw my adress at pretty much the same time and their cards would also arrive on the exact same day.

Then I found out it happend again, just a few weeks ago: On December 16th, I received my first cards from Colorado and Tennessee, adress drawn on December 3rd and again, the IDs differed by 10: US-8951234 and US-8951244.

Sure, it’s probably just statistical cherrypicking on my side (just like seeking similarities between US presidents often gets you some curious results), but it made me smile nevertheless.

9 Likes

There’s a Postcrossing user I follow on instagram. There’s hasn’t been much interaction between the two of our accounts there.

One day, she posted some pictures of a meetup she attended. I didn’t think much about it, until I received a postcard from that exact meetup, from that specific Postcrossing user, with a postcard ID (which means she somehow randomly selected my address out of the thousands of Postcrossing users out there)

8 Likes

Yes, I had three cards in my mailbox on the same day with the numbers
DE-12516491, DE-12516492, DE-12516493

4 Likes

I just drew four addresses, two of these people share the same address and surname, their usernames look like they’re brothers born in '77 and '75. Will definitely think about some special matching cards for them!

9 Likes

Two Finnish postcards today, 6 numbers apart, but sent with the same stamp series. Yay! :blush:

7 Likes