Postcrossing coincidences: What are the odds?

Yesterday I got a card with this Liberty Bell, and in another card it’s in the stamp :smiley:

so fun, especially that it’s in different senders cards :slight_smile: !!!

19 Likes

Yesterday I bought some maxi cards from 1988, celebrating Australia’s Bicentennial. It was a joint stamp issue with the UK.

Today while browsing the gallery of recently received cards, I found GB-1512149
which is the matching UK issue to one of the cards. Here’s a terrible photo as proof!

12 Likes

I received the UK stamps from this release on a tag card:

5 Likes

This is so cool!

1 Like

I received 3 postcards yesterday (registered today) all 3 from the US. 2 of the 3 were consecutive numbers Postcard US-8313582 and Postcard US-8313581 :slightly_smiling_face:

The most amazing thing happened! At the Bielefeld Postcrossing meetup, there’s usually a big lottery, for which everyone brings a small present and then they’re distributed among the participants. So last October, I brought some selfmade maxicards for the lottery. Guess which card I received from @just_a_second today? One of my maxicards that I brought for the lottery! She didn’t know that I made it, so this is probably my biggest Postcrossing coincidence so far. I’m so amazed and happy! :smiley:

31 Likes

I don’t know if this is a coincidence or if Postcrossing is programmed to be this way, but:

This weekend was my birthday, however, I have no friends/family that I could celebrate it with. So I was feeling lonely and therefore decided to draw an address. Guess what: it was also the birthday of the recipient that day! It made me feel less lonely, because it gave me the feeling that we could kind of celebrate our birthdays together via the postcard :blush:

Does anyone know if this is a cool Postcrossing feature or a coincidence?

29 Likes

I believe the algorithm checks only the location of the possible receiver so it must be a coincidence!

2 Likes

It must be a coincidence, never heard of such thing. And yes I don’t think the algorithm would be so complex to take into account even that.
Also a lot of people don’t fill in their date of birth (I don’t, the less data out there, the better) so I don’t know how algorithms work but I guess it would be extra work for it to match data that is not always there.

Happy birthday, birthdays are cool. I love to get addresses on my birthday or thereabouts, to celebrate :smiley:

2 Likes

It’s been a while ago that I got these two cards. Not only the numbers in a row was amazing, also the message …

The first card started with: My name is Anton and I live with my husband Denis in …
And the second card started with: My name is Denis and I live with my husband Anton in…

Yes!!! It was a married couple who sent the cards. :smiley:

19 Likes

It isn’t really a coincidence but it made me so happy that I need to share it :smile: I have been a postcrosser for 11 years but I never received a postcard written in other language than English. Until today! I received two postcards, neither in English and one of them even in Czech! I never expected to receive a postcard in my mother tongue!

10 Likes

Yesterday I was watching the 1st semi-final of the Eurovision Song Contest and rooting for Moldova – they have this cheerful song about a train trip from Chișinău (Moldova) to Bucharest (Romania), celebrating the friendship between the two nations. It went through to the finals, which I’m very happy about. :steam_locomotive:

But I was even more happy to open my mailbox today and find this beautiful postcard from Bucharest inside! :mailbox_with_mail: What a happy coincidence. Just like that train trip in the song, Postcrossing too connects countries and people in such a unique and beautiful way. :love_letter:

What makes the coincidence even greater is that I also happen to love Romania’s ESC entry this year, and I’m going to root for it tomorrow in the 2nd semi-final. :star_struck:

10 Likes

Just a small coincidences as I have books on my wishlist for cards. but it still made me smile to receive two lovely book-themed cards on the same day. :open_book: :books:

6 Likes

I have to tell only a little story of a swap between @rhuqesmail and me with football stadiums.
It is a swap between India and Germany. The snail mail delivery times vary widely. They can be 10 days, but also 60 days. We both put our envelopes in the mail at the same time and TODAY the envelope reaches the other on the same day at almost the same time!
Okay, of course we have a time difference, but we reported it to each other at the same time.

I can’t believe!! Is that possible?? We got our letters at the same time??? Really, it is really real! (what a word game) But you can see, today came an official Indian postcard, too. Perhaps a plane took the both snail mail-letters to me?? But the other postcard was sent 1 months before the letter of Manish, wow! How different long ways. I think, sometimes the post is collecting for a full plane!?! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

And when we wanted to reply to the PM message each other, we also sent the microsecond at the same time.
Maybe we should play the lottery if we’re lucky!

swap cards from manish

this is the official postcard:

Postcard IN-461939

10 Likes

Amazing how similar postcards I received at different times from different people. The gentlemen came from Germany via the official Postcrossing site at the beginning of April, and the animals arrived from Russia at the end of April through a direct swap on the forum :smiley:

10 Likes

About one month ago, I sent a postcard to the city I was born in (and mentioned it on the card).
A few days later I got the hurray message and the recipient wrote, that they were born in the city I live now. :smiley:

30 Likes

Very spooky: I just have received 2 postcards from Finland in parallel. FI 4183281 and 4183282. So they must have requested a new address in the very same moment. Both from nice postcrossers named Helena. Both sent on May 15. Both written in all capitals. Both with the same stamp (from 2017). Both with the same kind of foto (tranquility). But with a different hand writing and one from Kuopio and one from Oulu. Spooky? Or is there an explanation? Or is there a “failure in the matrix”? Best Greetings from Horst

28 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Unique Postcard IDs

I draw a new address immediately when one is received, and my two most recent traveling cards, drawn a day apart, have two digits swapped. It’s a good thing I’m not dyslexic!

Screen Shot 2022-06-22 at 11.41.51 AM

28 Likes

It honestly took me a minute to spot the difference. :rofl:

9 Likes