Postcrosser using "wrong" nationality - is this OK?

I’m going to admit I’m
Not seeing what the issue is here.

If a person tell you their adresss where they can receive mail what’s the problem.

If you don’t like the addresses then explain to post crossing that you won’t mail to them based on whatever moral issue your having a with an address.

If this is an attempt to shame a member for having an address in which their receive mail and/ or start an argument with other members on what one person things it’s right or wrong, I think a forum on political issues is more appropriate rather than a fun postal mail exchange group.

Here in Canada if it’s not written a certain way postal mail won’t arrive . What’s the issue here

5 Likes

If a person has their country set as Ukraine, their address may be given to me. But if their address is actually in Russia (and postally speaking it is) that means my postal system will not accept a card to them and will not deliver it. This is a problem as I am unable to fill the obligation of sending the card.

It’s not a political issue. It’s an issue with how Postcrossing blocks countries and how the block won’t work on this address.

Canadian postal system doesn’t accept post to Russia either by the looks of it so you would have the same issue with this address. Doesn’t matter whether you want to send the card or not, you can’t.

2 Likes

Perhaps an administrator can clear up something: I thought that Ukraine addresses are only given out to those able to send there. In other words, places in occupied Ukraine served by the Russian postal service are filtered out for members in USA, Canada, Finland, etc?

1 Like

I think she had no choice but to choose “wrong” location to continue Postcrossing.

She lives in Crimea, where the postal services are operated by Russia. That means, she has to follow the restrictions and rules of Russia Post. If she sets her location as Crimea, Ukraine, she won’t be able to send postcards to some addresses she gets, because Ukraine and Russia have different restrictions on countries which people can send to and receive from.

For example, as a resident of the US, I can send cards to Ukraine but not to Russia. If she sets her location as “Crimea, Ukraine” and if I get her address, I won’t be able to send her a postcard and she’ll have to wait for my card forever unless the current restrictions are lifted.

8 Likes

I’m believing this way too, so that I can get address to Ukraine but not to places where Russian post handles the mail delivering.

1 Like

This issue dates from almost 10 years ago.

I protested then on the old forum, like someone somemore else. Russians on Crimea boycotting Postcrossing for flagging as Ukrainian as the Crimea is occupied.
Postcrossing Team found a solution for Russians to flag just outside Crimea.

Flagging inside Crimea gives a Ukraine countrycode. Ukraines might be in danger if they dare to do so. Russians as well (?).

Therefore, let it be as it is.
If sending to Crimea I write very small or tiny ‘via’ before countryname Russia.

4 Likes

Exactly my thought. The correct address (by who delivers their mail) should be listed so the bot doesn’t pair people up who cannot send mail to the other

As an aside, when I was growing up, the city in my email changed almost annually because neither post office wanted to deal with our small area. We always got our mail but it was humorous

1 Like

Ok, so then tell the admin you can’t send theres me ask for a different address. End of issue

There is no way to cancel a travelling card.

The root cause for this incongruity seems to be that the ISO 3166-1 standard, which Postcrossing adopts, has yet to have a separate code for Crimea.

For now, I suppose this measure is working well enough.

Or hypothetically, we can explore the possibility of using the ISO 3166-2 standard for principal subdivisions of each country/region, but I guess it’s already in use in the address region selection?

I saw an italian postcrosser, living in Rome (Italy), uses Vatican City (Vatican) as his location, because its post office is closer to him.
I think it’s fine.

3 Likes

Hi Bones. Welcome to the PC Forum!
Actually according to the guidelines, users can’t pick and choose which countries they want to send to, even if they don’t like the address or have a moral issue.

“If you don’t like the addresses then explain to post crossing that you won’t mail to them based on whatever moral issue your having a with an address.”

Here’s more details from the FAQs:

Hope that’s helpful!

2 Likes

I have a memory, that someone got an address to where they couldn’t send or there was something off with the profile, and that address was removed then. Of course not by the member, but postcrossing staff.

I tried to look for this but couldn’t find, maybe someone remembers this?
Or did I understand something wrong then?

Ah, thank you, this makes sense!

But it needs to be the same country!

Yes, my reply was to thuegirl who wrote that the location shows the right city. So sort of off topic, but just in case some one gets an address pointing to Turku, and the person lives in some place with a different name, it’s ok and possible.

Then I’m which case postcrossinf isn’t the place for them

Shrugs