Postcards with words instead of pictures

This saying is not meant to be funny. It’s supposed to be encouraging, like “You can do it!” if you have a difficult project coming up. Sometimes it can be addressed more generally, a bit of shorthand to cheer you on in life.

4 Likes

Oh, really? Thank you for explaining. - I didn’t know and couldn’t guess from the picture, there were only the words. Like meaning “you got this card”. Maybe it was meant to have the two meanings, the one you explained and the litteral one, and that way being funny in the end? (At least then the card would make sense to me.)

1 Like

I love them!

Here’s a few I have in my favourites:

I have a soft spot for ad cards and they often have catchy phrases :raised_hands: Love them, and anything related to my interests.

1 Like

Thank you! These are wonderful!!

1 Like

Regarding the language barrier phrases I have a funny story. I was picking out postcards to mail with my boyfriend who speaks German natively and grabbed this one. He was immediately saying “Ahh this is not one you want to send to a stranger!”

The translation implies saying from bed: “Well, there’s always breakfast, or are you bad at that too?”

:sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile: of course I bought it but have never had the opportunity to send it.

7 Likes

I only purchased one of these and have kept it on my bulletin board with other favorite post cards. This one is a bit inspiration, incentive and more to keep mailing post cards.

7 Likes

I’ve sent this one to people in the random acts of smiles or to those who want something inspirational.

This one just cracks me up. I love it! It’s so ME!

I love all kinds of postcards. I’m still “new” to this, but I haven’t received anything I would consider offensive. I may not always get the humor, but that’s a cultural thing and I’m OK with that.

6 Likes

These show idioms from the city Porto, the official Portuguese and finally English… not easy, but I think fun for language lovers!

And this one shows extracts/chorus of popular Portuguese pop rock songs.

2 Likes

And here’s one that I wouldn’t send to a Postcrosser that I didn’t know:

5 Likes

Lots of fun & clever word postcards in this thread & we translate for each other as well, so we can get the joke in most languages.

1 Like

It is referring to email inbox, and how people manage the emails they receive differently.

Some people read their received email, and deal with the it immediately by replying, and deleting it. Or just deleting after reading.
Other people never delete many of their received emails, even after they read them, replying, etc.

I am guilty of this and have many, many emails in my email inbox. My partner has about five emails in his inbox, and sometimes he really has zero!

Hope this explanation is helpful?

2 Likes

I think this card is fantastic

That’s lovely! I like receiving whatever postcard the Postcrosser wishes to send me - Words (your T.S. Eliot would be very nice), Pictures or a Combo :heart_eyes_cat:

I don’t like postcards where there is only text (even if it is in Russian), but I like postcards if there is a picture in addition to text. Here are examples of the first and second

1 Like

I am American, and didn’t understand the joke either.

1 Like

Yes!

1 Like

Just wondering…are these types of postcards still popular? I like the “Keep Calm” postcards.

I’ll say so - we even have a Keep Calm tag

https://community.postcrossing.com/t/keep-calm-tag/9505

1 Like

I received this card last year from Postcrosser @Drellka, which she made by hand. I’ve violated both of the commandments, repeatedly.

1 Like