Postcards to and from China

So, there can be a new situation that “there isn’t any documentary policies to stop the delivery, but the local post offices stopped in fact”.
I didn’t receive any cards for 2 whole months. Then I called the provincial postal department. They said there isn’t any policies in my city to stop the delivery. Then I called the postal administration. Then they asked my local delivery department to deal with my problem.Then the local delivery called me and gave me the phone number of the postal department of the district. Then I called them and they told me that they stop the delivery of the mails from abroad to the receivers because of the actual policies of my city, which didn’t released to the public at all. So I have to go to the postal department of the district to take my mails by myself. If I didn’t make such a lot calls, I may wait for my postcards forever.

24 Likes

https://11185.cn/web/#/newsdetail/1120

Latest official info from China Post, showing affected routes of delivery by county-level cities, prefectures and provinces.

1 Like

Thank you very much for such an interesting answer.

Of 115 cards received so far this year only two came from China, both sent on 6 January, one took 34 days, the other 77 days. I have successfully sent three cards there this year, which took 39, 56 and 81 days. I have four cards travelling there, all sent less than 45 days ago.

On average I have received eleven to twelve cards a year from China since I joined Postcrossing and have sent ten a year. So this year is shaping up to be a slow one for mail to and from China.

非常感谢!

I too have one that is almost an entire year in travel mode. Also, they do not reply to my messages. I have gotten many China cards to send. Most if not all are still in travel mode.

Have you received any postcards from China recently?

Many of the postcards I sent were overdue, which left me wondering what the problem was.

1 Like

Hello @MSHN
I moved your question to this topic, because we talk here already about that.

I have sent 5 cards to China this year and none of them have been arrived. They are sent between February - May.

The latest card I have received from China was in February.

I had one this year that arrived just before it would’ve expired. I have received a couple of tag cards that took roughly two months via surface.

Only one card I’ve sent this year to China has been registered. I sent it on 2 January and it took 114 days to arrive. I have 11 cards travelling to China at the moment, six of which are expired. I have received 17 cards from China this year, the latest was on 6 May…

Of the cards I’ve sent to China this year, 6 have arrived and 12 are still travelling. Out of these 12, 6 already are expired, and the others are travelling over 30 days already. My last card that reached China (of the ones I sent this year) was sent on Feb 27th and needed 31 days to get registered.

I received 58 cards from China that were posted this year. Most were sent at the end of January and in February. (I had a huge backlog of more than 500 cards since my account was inactive for three months because I moved to another city. Only very few cards arrived at my old address after that period and they were forwarded to me.)

On the profile of one of the recipients of the already expired cards (travelling 79 days) I found this message today:
“NOTICE: there’s currently an indefinite halt on international mail to and from China for pandemic reasons. If you sent me a postcard that expired, message me the ID and I will register it.”
She lives in Hangzhou.

Like @June060310 posted last month, there seem to be many local restrictions and delays. It is difficult to get a clear picture what’s going on where and for how long…

4 Likes

Chinese addresses are sooo long and literally all of my postcards to China are expired…maybe like 1 or 2 made it there…I read somewhere that posts arrive faster to its recipient if the address is in Chinese but ain’t no waaaaayyy I could write in Chinese, I’ve tried doing it on blank piece of paper but it was a total fail

3 Likes

I think the suggestion is more that you print out the address and stick it on.

2 Likes

Writing Chinese characters is difficult for the Chinese themselves, not to mention for non-Chinese.

4 Likes

I don’t own a printer….printer ink is way too expensive here

3 Likes

I’m not suggesting you should own a printer. I’m just explaining what people mean when they say to write in Chinese characters. I don’t think anyone’s expecting you to physically write in a different alphabet with a pen.

1 Like

…perhaps not, but I highly recommend trying it! It’s a gratifying exercise, if you have a bit of time and patience. :blush: Even if you trace the 汉字 like a dork at first.

2 Likes

If more than a billion humans can do it, I am sure you can do it too. It’s no rocket science, it’s drawing by numbers (in no way I wanna sound disrespectful, that’s just the way I do it, stroke by stroke by stroke).
Yes, the adresses can be long, that’s a challenge - still, the script itself can be copied with some time and patience.

2 Likes

Actually, I have handwritten Chinese addresses for couple of official cards. I confirmed with Chinese PC friend, if my writing was ok. She said it seems decent for a non-native. Let’s see, any of those cards reach :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

4 Likes