Postcard writing prompts - ideas welcome!

I don’t know if this really applies to a writing prompt, but I love to hear about someone’s passion(s) in life!

9 Likes

Volunteering could be a topic, where people tell about former or current voluntary work, or voluntary work they would like to do.

Wildlife could be another topic.

• (Common) wild animals in the country of the sender.
  • Wild animals the sender has seen.
  • Wild animals the sender dreams of seeing.
  • Or something else related to wildlife.

And meals. For instance: For you, what is a typical…

• …breakfast?
  • …lunch?
  • …dinner?
  • …evening meal?
    • What do you eat? Where? With whom?
    • What’s your favourite meal of the day?

Or describe the place you’re writing the postcard, using all your senses. And/or describe the view through a nearby window.

15 Likes

I think one idea I saw on someone’s profile ages ago was to write about some kind of personal habit / ritual that the sender enjoys. So particularly in this time of the pandemic where many of us cannot go out very much, see many people or otherwise live how we used to, I think it could be nice to focus on the positive aspects of daily life, such as:

• What is the one thing / activity that always improves your mood?
  • What thing / activity can you not imagine your day about?
  • What thing / activity do you now enjoy that you didn’t think you would like?
9 Likes

I also have a prompt question about “your favorite mug”! [Virtual high five!] I almost included one about neighbors as well, because I currently have atrocious neighbors. :joy:

6 Likes

I love the wildlife prompt! I should include it in my profile; I enjoy hearing and telling people about local wildlife, because the stories can be really amusing. Because I’m not currently seeing any people during quarantine, observing animal behavior has become a favorite source of entertainment for me!

6 Likes
  1. What is the funniest thing you have ever heard or seen?
  2. What is your favorite childhood memory?
  3. What are five things on your bucket list?
  4. What are five cities you want to visit?
  5. What is the strangest thing you have ever seen or experienced?
  6. What is an urban legend that is common in your area - like Bigfoot or locally here we have the Lady of the Lake.
  7. What are three stupid things you are scared of? (Like I am terrified of June Bugs; it’s a whole story.)
  8. Around holidays I like to know if people have any holiday traditions. Like each year my dad takes the family out to eat on Christmas Eve at the same Italian restaurant and then on Christmas Day after we open presents the kids have an EPIC NERF BATTLE on his ranch and I make up a scavenger hunt where they have to do a funny task at each stop and they get little prizes as they go along. I love to hear about people’s traditions.
12 Likes

Here’s the list from Postcrossing’s Help page.
https://www.postcrossing.com/help/what-should-i-write-on-a-postcard

• Express what daily life is like where you’re sending the card from by describing what you did today, your routine, etc.
  • Write 5 curious facts about the place where the card is from.
  • Give local traveling tips from your area! What are the must-sees around you?
  • Include your favorite quote, perhaps in its original language (with translation!)
  • What was the last thing you cooked or ate? Include a recipe!
  • What do you have in common with the recipient of your card?
  • Recount a childhood memory, or something you’ve learned from your grandparents.
  • What makes you happy? If it makes you smile, there’s a good chance others will like to hear about it.
  • Share a local idiom or saying, in its original language, with translation of course!
  • Did you ever travel to the place where your card is going? Recall your best memory of that place.
  • What’s the weather like as you are writing your postcard? Draw the weather forecast in detail, and don’t forget to include the temperature!
  • Share an interesting fact that you’ve learned recently, and which most people are not aware of.
  • Got an unusual hobby or collection? Do tell!
  • Did anything important happen in your country lately? Share an interesting news tidbit!
  • Write about your favorite book, movie or band.
  • Draw a picture of your surroundings, or your favorite object in that room.
  • Write your favorite poem or…
  • …make up your own poem! Acrostic poems or haikus are short and enjoyable to write.
  • What are the local festivals or traditions from your area?
  • If you’re a student, what are you studying? What was the last thing you learnt in school?
5 Likes

Besides some that were already mentioned, I have these on my profile:

• What part of your country’s history do you wish more people knew about?
  • What is the strangest place you’ve ever slept?
  • If you consider yourself artistic, you could draw a sketch of what you think I look like [this only works because I have a non-descriptive profile picture, but I suppose it could be adapted to a more generalized version]
3 Likes

Are you sure, postcard is suitable for those themes? I mean- the space on the postcard. And must I, in my 60, really remember the last thing I learned in school?

7 Likes

My favorite questions are:
-What is your favorite fruit or breakfast?
-What’s the last song you’ve heard?
-What’s the last good book you’ve read?

And this one I ask to all new acquaintances when I can:
What two superpowers would you choose and why?

6 Likes

I would believe it’s possible to write to write about all those topics on a postcard, given that the handwriting is small enough. I know that some find it difficult to write more than 3-4 sentences on a postcard because their handwriting is so large.
Since the suggestions mentioned by @brittanyjewell are all mentioned by the Postcrossing Team in the Help section, I guess they’ve thought it through and only suggested things they know is possible to write about on a postcard. But as I already mentioned, the handwriting is a factor, and most topics can be challenging to write about if one struggles writing small enough.

4 Likes

Someone will command the font size for the whole world to write now? It would be funny if it weren’t so pathetic.

1 Like

These are just suggestions to help people. You are free to write what you want.

8 Likes

Calm down. No one is commanding anything! In fact there are a lot of people struggling with what to write on the postcard. So Postcrossing provides them with suggestions. You are nevertheless completely free to write whatever you want. And how much you want. And in which size.

17 Likes
  • An embarrassing incident that you now laugh over
  • Something you want to do but never had the courage to
  • The first place you want to fly to after this pandemic ends
  • What you would do with a million dollars
3 Likes

I transcribed what was included in the main PostCrossing website.

1 Like

Ok… And sorry. But I think, if something is not very close to reality, it doesn’t helps. Even, if transcribed from PC website. Not everybody can insert a big topic in the size of postcard. Especially a person who already has difficulties expressing himself and telling something.

I have a sugestion. Not so much a subject… more like a component (for the future):

Would it be possible to have these suggestions appearing randomly when we draw adresses and are taking a look at the recipients profile? :thinking:

Much like the “hello!” in different languages that appear on top of the website. This could be something like "Don’t know what to write? What about… (insert subject/question)?". Or something like that. :slightly_smiling_face:

Not as an order, just like a random and friendly suggestion.

29 Likes

Just because it’s not close to your reality doesn’t mean it can’t be close to someone else’s reality.

3 Likes