Postcard Shows

In Houston, there was one that was held Friday through Sunday last October. I had only joined postcrossing a couple of weeks prior, and there was a meet-up in conjunction with the postcard fair. I wanted to go, but there was a terminal sickness in the family, and I just couldn’t make it. Could someone explain to me what a newbie should expect at a meet-up, just in case they repeat this coming fall? I really want to attend. If I am in the wrong place to ask that question, please show me the way to go elsewhere.

I would suggest contacting the host of the meet-up you’re planning on visiting and ask what activities they are planning since it may vary from meet-up to meet-up. I’ve only been to the ones in California and mostly they involve socializing, writing and signing postcards, swapping postcards, and postcard games. If it’s an in person meet-up, you should bring, at the very least, pens for writing and some postcards you would like to swap or give away. Some hosts may even suggest bringing part of your collection if you feel comfortable showing it to others.

1 Like

Just went to the Houston postcard show this past weekend. It’s always great and the vendors are super friendly and knowledgeable. Yes most are vintage cards but several of the dealers have the 25 -50 cent boxes like an above user mentioned. You can spend hours looking through some cool cards and not even realize all the time that goes by.

1 Like

When you say vintage, do you just mean old or are they already written?

I believe that vintage in America at least means older cards; they may be blank or written. There’s a souvenir shop in our area that sells some cards I think some would call vintage, even though they are being sold as new!

Yes! And don’t rule out stamp bourses. Postcard demand there is less, and a few dealers will have cheap cards around (or under the table that they haven’t brought out b/c they didn’t think they could sell).

Hi

There are many shows in the US all over the country. If I am attending a show I usually plan a meetup during the show hours. I usually make a special postcard for the event as do others who plan a meetup. The special postcard is signed by all those who attend.

A variety of topics are discussed: where to purchase postcards, when you joined Postcrossing, what you like to collect, from where did you get your most recent postcard, how many can you have in the mail at one time and many others.

Due to the pandemic most shows have been cancelled. I am hopeful that by this fall they will resume. I personally attend shows in Dallas, Houston and Austin Texas; Wichita, Kansas, Phoenix, Arizona, York, Pennsylvania and Richmond, Virginia. I have in the past attended a meetup in Deland, Florida. For more show information check out Marylmartin.com and courthousesquare.net for US shows. Many postcard clubs in the US have a yearly show.

I hope that when shows resume, I will be able to plan a meetup at those shows I will be attending.

I know there are postcard show in England and France, but don’t where they are located.

Happy National Postcard Week,
Demaris

Dang! I just looked them up and missed the show by 2 days! There’s always next month.

WESTERN RESERVE POSTCARD SOCIETY
Postcard Show - April 29 & 30, 2022
Rocky River Memorial Hall
21012 Hilliard Blvd
Rocky River, OH 44116

Show Hours:
Friday, April 29, 2022 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Saturday, April 30, 2022 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Two room of dealers. $3 entrance fee.

Slightly off topic but comic conventions and art shows are also good places to pick up newer, unused postcards.

3 Likes

Yes, artists have postcards, but they are usually pricey.

I’m going to try and make that Arcadia Show!

The website for courthouse was already mentioned but here is the link to some upcoming postcard shows in the central US.

2022-2023 Shows

There is a lot of overlap between the postcard and philatelic hobbies so if you go to a stamp show chances are you will find plenty of dealers selling postcards. There should be a lot of stamp shows in most countries. I regularly go to “hobby” shows and stamp dealers there sell postcards.

Save the date!
When? Saturday, September 23, 2023 – 9am-3pm
What? Eastern Ontario Postcard, Postal History & Ephemera Show
Where? Merrickville, Ontario Community Centre, 106 Read Street, free admission & parking [About 70km south-west of Ottawa; 100km north-east of Kingston]

BONUS Event all day –

Postcards to the Front (Canada / Канада) will have a table, postcards, and writing tools, where you can write messages of support to Front Line Defenders in Ukraine.
• Prizes! Prizes! Prizes! Let us know you’re a Postcrosser!

Save the date! Join us! We’d love to meet you!

If you can’t make Saturday’s event, we’re holding another postcard-writing event on Sunday, September 24 at the Merrickville Legion (1-3pm), 229 Main Street West, Merrickville, Ontario.

1 Like

What a wonderful surprise to bump into @LaurenceB and @IsabelleMTL at the Eastern Ontario Postcard and Postal History and Ephemera Show in Merrickville, Ontario, where - after doing some shopping - we made time to just be Postcrossers! And write cards for Postcards to the Front in an informal meet-up. So glad to meet!

13 Likes

1 Like

Here is my report from the Metropolitan Postcard Club show happening this weekend, Nov 11 - 12, 2023, in NYC.

1 Like

Posting this info in case anyone is interested.

2 Likes