Postcard registering rituals - Poll in Post 67

There is already a topic about this here! Maybe someone can merge them?

2 Likes

Do you have any special ways of registering postcards, especially when receiving more than one card per day? For example:

1. according to country sent from (first all from Germany, followed by all from the US, Russia, etc)
  2. according to travelling time (if identifiable), like oldest first, followed by those travelling shortest
  3. according to text written (first those with few text, where the registration message will also be short, followed by those where a longer registration message is appropriate)

Or do you have any other registration rituals I cannot think of? Please share.

Iā€™m type 2, btw. :blush:

If I get several cards I mostly register first the cards from Germany, followed by cards from Europe, Asia, USA and then all others - so Iā€™m type 1.

Any of the above, although I would include in 3 maybe, or a separate category, the ones written in German which require a bit more effort on my part to read and respond to (also in German). So language of writing also comes into play.

1 Like

If I got more than one card I would register them in the order they happen to be in my mailbox. Iā€™d put them in a pile textside up and start registering. If there were cards from tags, Iā€™d register the officials first and then tag cards. :slight_smile:

Iā€™m type 2 as well. :blush:

I defenetly have a ritual:

1. Take postcards from mailbox, quickly look through all messages and images
  2. Same day wait until children, husband and cat fall asleep
  3. Re read all the messages slowly and carefully, register cards one by one and answer personally on each card
  4. Next day, when the light is good take picture of postcard if missing
  5. Take picture of all stamps
  6. Put postcard in special folder, sorted by Contries
  7. Upload stamp images to Flickr

Phew thatā€™s it :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I register the cards I receive in the order of how much I love them.

The best loved cards are registered first :two_hearts: :green_heart:, the least loved ones as the last ones to be registered. :wink:

If I receive an official card from a Postcrosser I know personally and like, he or she has their card registered first. :slight_smile:

Sometimes the order is hard to define!

2 Likes

the order how it arrives in my letter box and / or on the floor.

1 Like

I also register in the order I like the picture on the cards, but in the opposite order from @Robin67. Least like first, then my favourite last. This is so my favourite picture is the first on my wall, at least for one day, until I next receive postcards.

2 Likes

I do that, too unless there is a ā€œspecialā€ number of received cards for example when I get a number like 100 postcards received or such (always the hundrets or the thousands, never a smaller number) then I would like this one to be a favourite card as well :slight_smile:

I do the same thing. This order is sacred :grin:

I recently joined and have a relatively simple ritual: I pick up the card as soon as I get it, read it, then register it and write a short note. I donā€™t scan the card, but I have a filing box that I put all my cards in, in order of receipt. I wouldnā€™t dare throw away a postcard!

1 Like

Hi!
I donā€™t really have a ritual when it comes to registering the postcards either.

I check my P.O. Box daily (except my day off, Sunday and vacation [inactive status!]). As other members have mentioned, I always register my cards the day I receive them! I read the message and look at the cards.

I also carefully peel off the stamps from the postcards. For privacy reasons I do not scan the received cards. I then write a short thank you message when registering and then I draw the next address(es)ā€¦

I collect my mail from the mailbox generally around lunchtime. I try to go every day but donā€™t always. My dog and I usually walk down there together, he enjoys the walk and I almost always have ebay orders to drop in the mail as well as PC cards and whatever other correspondence. I admit Iā€™m usually guilty of not registering cards right when I get them, but they go onto my desk and I usually register a few daysā€™ worth at a time.

I checked out your blogs! What a great idea to showcase your postcards this way! Well done! I admire your patience.
Maria

1 Like

Before registering, I visit the place on the postcard on Google Maps Street-View :earth_asia: and wander around to see more beyond the card and find inspiration for drafting a thank-you note.

Then I register the postcards starting from the bottom one as it reaches the mailbox first.

5 Likes

I never thought of registering cards as a ā€œritualā€ but I suppose it is! Not sure if anyone else does this, but I always register them in the order I took them out of the mailbox. Typing it out, it does seem a bit weird that I do that, but itā€™s certainly accurate!

2 Likes

Hello, I have a different question that might be a bit related. But Iā€™m not sure if this is the right place to post it. But each time I enter something in the search field of the forum I get ā€œerror 502ā€.

Iā€™m new to Postcrossing and am wondering where the ā€œthank you commentsā€ of members who received your cards are to be found?

Thank you!

@Sterrenhemel
The thank you messages can be found in the email telling you the card was registered.