Postbot functions

Im sorry if this already is a topic, then please redirect me to it :slight_smile:

I just say someone tagging the postbot to roll the dice for a lottery and I thought to myself: what handy postbot functions are there on this forum? Is there a place where I can find that? If no: this could be the thread to drop all the handy postbot functions you know!

2 Likes

You should have received a private message from dear postbot when joining this forum. It explains all those nifty features (including postbot’s features) in the 2 tutorials. Whenever you want to know what postbot is able to do, just type @postbot and it will answer.

@postbot display help

1 Like

I currently know how to do the following things:

@postbot start {name-of-tutorial}

Starts an interactive tutorial just for you, in a personal message. {name-of-tutorial} can be one of: tutorial, advanced tutorial.

@postbot roll 2d6

:game_die: 3, 6

@postbot quote

:left_speech_bubble: A jug fills drop by drop. — Buddha

@postbot fortune

:crystal_ball: You may rely on it

7 Likes

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @postbot display help.

@postbot display help

Starts an interactive tutorial just for you, in a personal message. {name-of-tutorial} can be one of: tutorial, advanced tutorial.

@postbot roll 2d6

@postbot quote

:left_speech_bubble: There are no failures. Just experiences and your reactions to them. — Tom Krause

@postbot fortune

But that just repeats the previous message, which doesn’t explain.

Can anyone explain what the “d” means in the instruction to postbot, so that I can form this instruction properly? Many thanks.

1 Like

Postbot is just a bot, doesn’t know how to answer your questions. :sweat_smile:

The d stands for dice. Roll 1d10 = rolls 1 dice until 10 = picks 1 random number from 1 to 10.
If you want to pick 4 numbers you’ll need 4 “dice”
Hope it helped.

3 Likes

As @bom_dia has already pointed out the d stands for die / dice. So the number before is the number of dice you want to roll while the number behind is for the number of sides each die has.

3 Likes

Thank you @Cassiopheia :slightly_smiling_face: that was what I guessed at first, but a die only has 6 sides. I was wondering how it could be a value higher than 6 - I know people use this function to generate random numbers. You explained it well, thank you. :pray:

No! :smiley: That’s the most common one… but there are die around with 4, 8, 10, 12, 20, 100 sides… (often used in rpg board games or pen & paper games)

5 Likes

:flushed:

Wow. I’ve never seen them, I like the pyramid-shaped ones!

@postbot start {tutorial}

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @postbot display help.

@postbot display help

@postbot roll 2d6

@postbot quote

:left_speech_bubble: Whatever we expect with confidence becomes our own self-fulfilling prophecy. — Brian Tracy

@postbot fortune

The tutorial can only be started in a PM to :postcrossing: :robot: Postbot.

2 Likes

Try to write start tutorial instead. Or start advanced tutorial.

@postbot roll 2d6