Postage Increase in USA

I think they’ve used the single $1.07 stamp rate and not the stamp in a booklet rate.

1 Like

The UK rate for postcard is £1.70 which seems to translate to US $ 2.41

They seem to have used our internal first class stamp rate of 85p

Yes, you’re right, but that’s odd in a number of ways - it’s not what is widely used and the chart is labelled:

SINGLE PIECE LETTER-MAIL POSTAGE RATES, INTERNATIONAL

when it looks like they are comparing domestic postal rates.

2 Likes

Good to know. Time to buy more stamps. I think the new lighthouse stamps are issued before this date, which is fortunate.

It’s going to cost 2 Forevers, a Pear, and an additional 4 cents for International ($1.30). There’s barely room for 3 stamps already, how are we going to fit 4 (or more)? Grumble… grumble… :angry:

10 Likes

My thought exactly! I don’t want to put more than 3 stamps on a card - I think it’s too distracting and takes away from the rest of that side of the card.

1 Like

Lighthouse stamps? Postcard rate?

This is the worst thing that’s happened since lockdown began lol

6 Likes

There are higher-value stamps (two-ounce, three-ounce, non-machinable, etc.) that can be combined with Forevers or additional ounces without much overage. :woman_shrugging: You can also stack a pear on top of a grape!

And I know it’s not ideal for some people, but Global Forevers are always an option.

3 Likes

Ask the USPS to make smaller stamps, American stamps are HUGE.

5 Likes

@PinkNoodle Good suggestions! I kind of forgot about the 2-oz, 3-oz options (except when I sent a Walt Whitman to someone I knew would be interested in that stamp). But having to use a Global Forever, well, horrors! :scream:

@borealis Some American stamps are big, it’s true. But I really enjoy the artwork, so maybe I just need bigger postcards :smiley:

4 Likes

Ooh, and don’t forget the $1 definitive! She can combine with a pear and an additional ounce bunny without taking up too much space. :rabbit2:

@borealis, pfft–asking Americans to make things smaller; now, really…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

20 Likes

@PinkNoodle Oh, those $1 définitives are gorgeous! The printing is raised, and the green has golden flecks in it. And the subject has a really interesting history, too.

4 Likes

That’s supposed to be international rates?!

The amount listed for Australia, $0.86 = $1.10 AUD which is our domestic rate.

The rate for Australia to the US is $3.40 AUD, or $2.62 USD.

Edit - I see others have pointed this out for their own countries…

If it says ‘forever’ on it it’s still good, right? They haven’t changed that or something?

3 Likes

Yes, still good … forever!

Funny story, though: my elderly mother was telling me the USPS Forever stamps weren’t “forever” anymore. I asked her what she meant, since the whole idea of Forever stamps is they are worth first-class rate no matter what their purchase price was. She said, “Well, I went to the USPS website and the word ‘Forever’ is crossed out on all the stamps!”

She didn’t know that pictures of stamps have a cancel mark to prevent people from printing them out and using them. :smiley:

15 Likes

Not accurate for Japan, price is 70 yen for international postcards by airmail = 0.64 USD as of today conversion rate; 60 yen by surface mail = 0.55 USD

4 Likes

Thanks @TurtlePoint for letting us know about this.

Now I’m going to spend the rest of this evening trying to figure out what stamp combinations I can use after August.

3 Likes

Oh no…