Pictorial Postmarks

Thank you for your reply Mattie!
That’s a shame! I think NL would have love postmarks.

Thank you Dev! So you can only get the special postmark with an envelope? Not a postcard??

@BFabian Thank you for the link!
The David Bowie postmark AND stamp look awesome!

How would one get that? Do they have to go in person? Or can they mail it in?

Jennifer

1 Like

The Bowie stamp is sold out online :frowning:
a few local stores might still have them. You’d place the stamp on an envelope/postcard/sheet of paper and mail it to them with what cancelations you wish and return address.

1 Like

@Cassiopheia Thank you so much for all the info and replies! So there are only 2 places in Germany you can get these postmarks? I guess that means you have to mail away for them most of the time unless you live nearby?

What’s the next postmark(s) you’re planning to get ? Would you be interested in swapping? As in whenever you send a batch in, just put an extra postcard in there to send to me? And I’ll do the same for you, or something similar?

Thanks!
Jennifer

@Robin67 I will send you a PM! Thank you!!

There are a few hundred “permanent “ pictorial postmarks in use around Australia, many less than there used to be. Short term commemorative pictorials are also issued from time to time. Many post offices have discontinued the use of the permanent types, there were around 700 available in past years. New issues are announced in Australia Post’s “Stamp Bulletin “ magazine.

2 Likes

@Macheng Yes please! I will PM you :slight_smile:
Thank you!

@DevfromIndia Thank you for sharing Dev!!

@pumuckl Thank you for sharing! They are lovely. I prefer postcards with no writing on it though. Thank you for the offer!

Jennifer

@BFabian Of course it is! :rofl:

@Bowyum Thank you. I’ll be sure to check it out! Do you have to go in person or can you mail away for them?

Jennifer

I usually mail away for them, mostly I prepare a philatelic item and have it returned to me enclosed in a stamped addressed envelope - so not a postally used piece of mail, but hopefully a clear postmark image, on an undamaged envelope/postcard.

1 Like

There are only two places (called special cancellation service) in Germany for first day cancellations. You can’t go there, but only mail them.

Then we have special stamp designs for certain events. Those are available at that event and sometimes at our cancellation service via mail, too.

We have some philately stamps in some specific cities, where you can get a special philately cancellation specific for that city. (But the post office offering them is way out of the way since their relocation… we have one here… at the outer edge of the city. No one ever is close by… except if you live there. Once they were in the city centres…)

And last there are some special tourist stamps when cities / places decide to use them. Those are only available at the related post office/s.

Some other (rarer) cases may occur, e.g. Christmas mail cancellations… but that would be too much to list all other options here, too.

None at the moment. Due to covid there are mainly first day cancellations around, thus very few special cancellations since the pandemic started. When I look at the stamp releases maybe in early April :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I got this pretty postmark today from Goa India…

10 Likes

@Macheng many thanks for the information…

1 Like

Yes Jennifer, Here in India, Majority of temporary special postmarks are available on special covers which are released in any special occasion or event and are available for a longer time so everyone can add into their collection.

But there are few instances where postmarks are put in use for just a day or two with no prior advertising, coz of which a lot of collectors cant make it on time for getting those.

So the thing is yes, temp pictorial postmarks are available in many special occasions around the year, but no appropriate circular or advertising is made officially by postal services about this.

1 Like

The UK’s Royal Mail has three mail centres with Special Handstamp Departments, where you can send letters and postcards to postmarked with pictorial and tourist Postmarks.
The produce a monthly bulletin of avaliable
Postmarks.

https://www.royalmail.com/postmarks

11 Likes

@Cassiopheia Thank you so much for the detailed reply!! Much appreciated!

@Maddymail Thank you for your reply! I’d love to get some postmarks from this month’s bulletin. Are you interested in swapping?

This is the only one available right now. Or I can send you 3 postcards. Please direct message me if you’re interested :slight_smile: