People in traditional clothes

For me personally traditional clothing in the US is traditional clothing of the indigenous people. So like someone mentioned earlier - Native Americans, Inuits, Hawaii… I don’t think most people care if it comes from your area as long as it comes from your country. I send national costumes from any part of the Czech Republic (they differ quite a lot). I personally don’t consider colonizer’s clothing as traditional.

Some of the Indian fashion in different parts of the country

1 Like

This is indeed an interesting question for Americans. The USA is such a young country, formed by immigrants. My paternal grandparents and maternal great-grandparents emigrated from Poland. When I was growing up, we used to attend festivals at a Polish Catholic church in Los Angeles. We had traditional Polish outfits. I still have one my mother made for me when I was about 5 years old. Also, one I made for myself as an adult to attend my Grandma’s 98th birthday! With my family heritage, I have no claim to the indigenous Indian culture, nor even the cowboy culture. But, even though I’m of Polish descent, I’m not really Polish, either.
Honestly, since I grew up near the beaches of Southern California and now call the beaches of the Florida panhandle home, if pressed to name “traditional clothes,” I’d have to say shorts, teeshirt, and flip flop sandals!:beach_umbrella::blush:

Hi peacelike!
Europe is incredibly rich in different national costumes. It cannot be said that one nation has the same costume. It is much more common that in one country each region has its own typical traditional costume. Here are some postcards with national costumes from Slovakia (where I’m from) and Germany that I have in my collection.

1 Like