Oversize cards. Yay/Nay?

Its very understandable.

Oh, thats very bad, noone will be happy about that.

Don’t feel bad, if this is the typical size in your country. It is one of those quirky little things that makes postcrossing interesting - to learn about different places in the world.
In my profile I als wrote that I prefer “standard size” which I now realize is a silly thing to write since I can hardly expect everyone to research what “standard size” means where I am from.
:slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I honestly like all kinds of cards, no matter the size or the shape. I keep them in a regular binder I bought at the supermarket and I’ve filled it up with these photo sleeves: they’re quite big and fit all the cards I’ve received :slight_smile:

I like writing oversized cards because it means more space on the back, but I think I’ll start checking profiles more carefully now. I don’t want to send stuff people won’t like :point_right::point_left:

1 Like

If I’m somewhere internationally, then I might as well go ahead and buy the larger size postcard because regardless of the size it’ll be the foreign postage rate. I was in Germany for 5 weeks and the foreign rate is usually .95¢ (Euro) regardless the dimensions of the postcard so, I went most often for the larger one since I’m paying more for postage anyways. Plus, I know that my friends to whom I send to, are often times more impressed with the larger cards. I suppose it gives a more “wow” factor upon opening the mailbox.
Within the US I tend to go for the smaller size cards but, on occasion I do send the large ones wherein the standard Forever first class of .55¢ is used.

1 Like

Yay for larger postcards…

From US, all international postcards (4x6) and letter (5x7) are all the same price to send $1.30
But domestically, smaller ones cost 0.40 but the larger ones cost 0.58

So when I’m sending internationally, I’m not concerned about the size…

2 Likes

The US post office used to sell postcards, all in a larger format. I buy them as the design is often stamp art (such as the big letter "Greetings From…), plus the larger size lets me add more stamps! But I understand when profiles ask not to receive them

1 Like

Unfortunately it is not.

Postcards must have a size of length 14 - 23.5 cm and width 9 - 12.5 cm, with length at least 1.4 of width.

Any card which is over this size needs the higher rate of 3,70 € (Grossbrief), any card below needs 1,70 € (Kompaktbrief) of postage (while square must be sent only in envelope for 3,70 €).

1 Like

When I started Postcrossing, I just bought cards I like. I never thought about cards being larger and people might not like them. Have not had any negative comments about my bigger ones though, so I guess I am lucky :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

I do not mind oversized cards. Today I sent one myself.

I personally have no preference on card size. I care more about the message than the exact dimensions. For people who specify dimensions, I do try to fit their preference–I guess it’s not too much of a problem for me since I already have a variety of postcards in my stash.

I respect people who don’t want oversize cards.
Because I think it has something to do with their system, how they store the cards.
I can’t think of any other reason.
Then on the big one you can place a lot more text.
What I personally prefer

1 Like

I prefer not to receive oversize cards because they don’t fit my storage system (I haven’t found plastic binder sleeves that accommodate the oversize cards yet) but I haven’t mentioned them as a dislike on my profile yet as I have only received a few and I’m hopeful I’ll find a work around before they pile up too much.

In Australia, I consider standard size to be 4" x 6" or 5" x 7". Both Australia Post and private companies make cards this size. We also have panoramic cards 4" x 8.5". I never send those unless asked for. Unless a profile states they want 4" x 6", which quite a few do, I send either of the other two sizes.
I get cards of all shapes and sizes but as I store mine in boxes I just use a box that suits the size. I actually prefer the slightly larger card. I can see it better!

2 Likes

I would never send postcards oversized, because it seems that most people do not like them for storage reasons.
For me it’s ok.

Funny enough, I considered standard size (4x6in/10x15cm) to be smaller than average postcards until I pulled an address on here that specified “normal size: 15 x 10cm” and I checked! So most of the postcards that I’ve sent and received over the course my life are technically oversized (5x7in) which really surprised me!

That’s what’s widely available in tourist shops around me, and (I believe) the size of prepaid cards available from my post office. Although funnily enough, the ones my friend brought me from her travels in Europe were a pretty even mix.

I store mine in a largeish box and enjoy the extra room to write, so I’m more than happy with either size :blush:

1 Like

As I put my cards into photo albums according to categories, I dont really like Oversized card. They end up in boxes. Some nights I would take out one of my albums and browse through the cards inside and it makes me happy. And those oversized card hardly looked at. I feel sad for them for not being appreciated too often :laughing:
so it’s not about whether I like them or not but the storage solution makes it less desirable for me. I should look for storage solution for those oversized card :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
Am open for suggestion for storage
*going to search on the forum abt storage now

I don’t recall ever reading on a profile that the recipient didn’t want oversize cards! That’s good, because I do sometimes send them. Often they are among the most beautiful ones I own. And I love getting cards that are large or of unusual dimensions, too.

Also, as @halflingstory mentioned, 4x6in/10x15cm seems tiny to me! Many if not most postcards I’ve seen here in Canada are bigger than that. Just for reference, the Canada Post website says that “the maximum dimensions for cards and postcards to the U.S.A. or an International destination are 235 mm x 120 mm (9.2 inches x 4.7 inches).” That’s really very generous :slight_smile:

Anyway, I really hope people will include their preference on their profile if they don’t want a bigger card! I would hate to disappoint them!

2 Likes

How much is it to send a Square or unusual size postcard domestically vs international? I’ve got a few of those and I’m afraid to mail them.

I am not against “custom” size postcards!
For me, postcrossing is a method of exchanging cultures, thoughts, creativity, etc.
If a person wants to share with me a large map that he thinks I will like, then why not?
I think it’s not that hard to find storage space for several large maps. Right? Or I’m wrong?
There are so many different postcards in the world, so many different shapes, colors and sizes. This is so interesting! :hugs:

4 Likes

Within US, the butterfly stamp (I think it’s 80 cents) is for unusual shaped / unmachinable mails for 1oz and under. International - I don’t know.