“One liner” generic postcards

And spaghetti icecream is really delicious, it has lots of variations. You have to try it, when you visiit Germany.

3 Likes

Wonder all you want Ralf :joy:

4 Likes

Ive only recieved one card thus far but will wait to see what I receive. I like the few sentences about who I am getting one from, but can alao appreciate a lovely image if the message is lacking. Maybe putting info in your profile will encourage more?

1 Like

Yes, this is a fairly common phenomenon. :frowning:

But then again, people are people, and not all of them are writers.

Think of friends and family writing postcards - if they do, or maybe used to. How many of them use/d all the writing space in a card to tell a story, and how many just wrote a short greeting to tell you where they are and that they’re having a great time?

5 Likes

I think that is a very good approach! Welcome to Postcrossing!

1 Like

As an American, that is the way the printed ‘&’ is done with handwriting here.

If I saw ‘My favorite sandwich would be peanut butter + bacon’ I’d think ‘and’ automatically rather than ‘plus’.

Perfunctory texts are a commonplace regardless of how many lines are there…feels like receiving cards from BOTs made of flesh.

I especially don’t enjoy one liners when it’s something like I hope you will like this postcard, but it’s completely random postcard, something generic/boring/unaesthetic and I have zero idea why this person has chosen this particular postcard…

I’d much prefer in these situations longer message or at least something like It’s recently my absolutely favourite postcard! It brings back memory of…/It shows my favorite place, animal, something else/I bought it under special circumstances etc. Why have chosen this particular postcard? What is the story behind it?

Otherwise I’m left with a postcard I’ll forget right away…

1 Like

I have to say that I hope I never have to send a postcard to some people on this post.

What is beautiful? what is generic? what is boring? what is funny? These things mean different things to different people and not everyone in every country has access to ‘terrific’ postcards. I do adhere to peoples phobia dislikes (birds, dogs, snakes etc.) as that causes actual distress.

Sometimes there is simply nothing exciting happening to mention, maybe I have little in common with someones profile, sometimes I write something that is not boring to me but might be boring to someone else…how do I know?

I sometimes give short messages and sometimes longer. I do not write small so I can’t fit a lot in.

I do commiserate with those who get ‘happy postcrossing’ cards as I would wish a bit more communication too but they are fewer in number than those who write a bit.

4 Likes

It subjective, it’s obvious. But one can always mentioned it on postcard if they have chosen a postcard because they find it especially funny/beautiful/unusual.

What I meant above is:
I have a problem with understanding why one writes I hope you will love it/like it if it looks like they didn’t care what they send to me. Because to me this kind of message means I put some effort and thought about you. I see a reason why you should like it. Personally I’d way more like to see something like Happy postcrossing instead.

Boring/generic etc. with Greetings from XYZ… are fine for me. People can have different approaches. That’s fine.
What I don’t like is dishonesty.

I just received my first ‘happy Postcrossing!’ card. Does this make me a ‘real’ postcrosser now? Haha. In all honesty thought, it was a lovely card that followed my preferences, so I can’t complain!

8 Likes

Do you think you have been an unreal postcrosser before? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

It felt like a rite of passage! Haha :joy:

5 Likes

If that’s the case, maybe the ‘realest’ postcrosser would be the one who got card with nothing written on it but the address :joy:

2 Likes

Empty card and address and stamp on the envelope.

Plot twist ; it’s a lottery :joy::see_no_evil:

1 Like

I got an empty envelope :sweat_smile: that was a first for me! The person used the envelope as a postcard! (Note: I’m not complaining, I wrote in my profile all kind of cards are welcome,and I mean it! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:) I just wanted to share

9 Likes

Was it aerogram? I think it’s not allowed to use that or ordinary envelope as official postcrossing card :sweat_smile:
But that’s a very unique experience! I’ve read some chat that they got a piece of photocopy paper as official postcrossing card lol. Some postcrossers would report such incident

Imo these ‘cards’ are worse than one liner generic cards :sweat_smile:

1 Like

No, it was a normal envelope, with the same illustration as the stamp so it was a bit like a maxicard :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Maybe they forgot to put a postcard inside? Postcrossing is about postcards, not envelopes :sweat_smile:. Perhaps you should kindly make a note of that in the thank you box.