“One liner” generic postcards

Alternate use? I would say the only use is something else than repeated use in running text. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
It means “and”, but is not the same; in a text words are more comfortable (in this case, but with large numbers, the numbers are better choice).

In Finnish it’s used mainly in name lists, or for example shop names, it’s not at all a common equivalent for “and” in what ever case. So, when I see “&”, my brain automatically looks for a name list, reference, or maybe shop name, and this makes it heavy and slow.

This is only the second time in my life I’ve seen someone use it like that :slight_smile:
Some time ago I actually wrote this in the Finnish forum, as I got instructions, where the person used this symbol, and how it was weird. I learned it used to be part of the English alphabet, but to my knowledge it never were in Finnish. Not even unformal written notes is it common. (Maybe in food orders.)

Also, it might give an impression, two letters more is too much, let’s be efficient, let’s not write much.

But, it’s their choice, of course, might be their style. Keep it how you like it :+1:
Just one point of view why the messages in cards might be short. (I find hard to write about this because I don’t want to give the impression I’m reading the profiles with a correction pen. No. I like different profiles, and I have no hurry to read the profiles, but I know someones stop at once, if there’s something they don’t care for.) So this is not to say something is wrong, or should be altered.

By the way, @SuzanneMarie I wonder did you have the questions all the time in your profile? Or did you add them later?

3 Likes

I would say, try to place a space in between paragraph. Your profile is fine. Make it looks less heavy at first glance without trying to read the texts.

There is no need to mind about the “&” sign that appear often in your profile. It gives me an image that you are a “&” lady. So it’s kind of special.

2 Likes

Yes, this is what I meant too :slight_smile: beautifully said :+1:

1 Like

Also in Germany.
I had a pen pal using this sign in every letter to replace every single “&”.
But she wasn’t able to write it clear and readable so it took me a while to figure out wtf she has written :joy:

1 Like

@Angelthecat

Out of curiosity, what symbols do you and other European countries use for “and.”

She is correct the “&”is commonly used in informal writing for “and.”. We commonly create new words and break many norms of writing.

I often use +! But only if space is limited.

3 Likes

“And” in Polish is just “i”, so I don’t think any symbol will save you space in this case :grin:

I don’t think I use any symbols to replace letters/words, especially if writing by hand.

3 Likes

The plus “+” sign reads like “plus” or more
Example I am 60+
I am sixty plus years old.

I drive 60+ on the highway.
Meaning: I drive over 60 miles an hour. I drive 60 plus.

Not, I like peanut butter + jelly.
Reads: I like peanut butter plus jelly.

Amer. English would say :PB&J Read like the name of letters.
Peanut butter “and” jelly.

2 Likes

When I write to German speaker I use “u.” which is short for “und” (and) or “+” or I simply wrote the whole word.

To any others I always write “and”.

1 Like

I feel annoyed whenever anyone is “disappointed” in something another Postcrosser has or hasn’t written. I particularly dislike when someone uses 90% of their profile to give orders: no envelope, write a lot!, use a pretty stamp, tell me a story, draw a weather icon, use your username, send me a teabag, etc. The only thing a Postcrossing participant needs to do is send you a postcard with the registration number on it. That’s all. They don’t have to entertain you or draw pictures or describe the weather that day.

Please don’t get me wrong. When someone goes above and beyond the minimum requirement, I’m very happy. But you can’t rag on someone who may have a language barrier or simply doesn’t have that much to say. I actually find it kind of sad that you’re calling certain people “boring.” Let people be who they are and you will see an amazing slice of humanity. Out of every 20 postcards or so, I get something truly special, whether it’s the message, the stamp, stickers, washi tape, the message itself, or all of the above. But not everyone is a creative genius.

36 Likes

Absolutely! When you force all of your senders to do exactly the same thing, where is the beauty in that? I love that every card I’ve gotten is wildly different, just like the people who sent them. When I get a profile that demands things like “write a lot!” or “tell me a story!” or “draw me something!” I’m actually pretty annoyed. Don’t you want to find out what I’d offer you with no instructions?

12 Likes

@Angelthecat

You hit the nail on the head ( idiom )
“To any others I always write ‘and’ “

We must be mindful of the audience and context in which we write.There are many lexical variations of English.

When I write in English to a native or American ID
I let it rip (another expression) and write freely since we have shared experiences & (:wink:) idiomatic expressions.

We must be mindful of English levels. If I were to have anything in my profile , I would write a level one prompt and a little bit higher level English prompt. I choose none of the above. Be free!

Sometimes I receive paper postcards. I remind myself, not all countries have postcards accessible. How can we deny someone entry into post crossing if we don’t allow those “wannabe a postcards.” Stretching the boundary by definition. I still gush over their postcard! I respect it.

Well, that’s my two cents worth!

4 Likes

I’m honestly just happy someone took the time. They didn’t have to :relaxed:

10 Likes

I think suggestions are ok but agree with you that demands are annoying and I find a little off putting. Sometimes I get a question that I could write heaps on and other times I can’t relate, so I write very little or ignore it and write my own thing. If someone told me to write something of substance this would cause me anxiety. I would think anything I wrote wouldn’t be good enough. Kind of like in an exam. It’s a lot of pressure.

9 Likes

In Australia I use a backwards 3 with a line through it. I have no idea where I got this from or if it’s normal.

2 Likes

@LindaLee
Is it a personal “style” or invention?

1 Like

One of the first cards I sent, the person said they were using postcrossing for a project to gather people’s experiences with cancer. That was the only thing they talked about on their profile.

Not something I had anything to say about (lucky enough to have not had anyone close to me have cancer), but no idea what else to say.

3 Likes

Lol…that would be cool to invent my own symbol.

I just googled and found this link

Looks like another version of and.

@LindaLee
I can’t see anything🤔… is it a link?

I write this symbol too, because it’s easier to draw than an ampersand (or just that I never learned to do an ampersand).

4 Likes