Number 7: To cross or not to cross?

I wondered about this years ago when I was in school. I find myself using both styles but not consciously in my day to day writing but if I am writing an address I try to be very precise. Again, Postcrossing teaches us something about the world and cultures. Winner!

I cross my 7s and I live in Australia, but Iā€™d say maybe only a minority of people here do.

It will never confuse an Australian postcard recipient though ā€” itā€™s common enough to be an unsurprising feature of someoneā€™s handwriting.

Really? I learned to write the 7 crossed in school and so did my children 30 years laterā€¦ :thinking:

:green_heart: :fox_face:

3 Likes

i think you mean this topic.

also. i cross my 7 but cards from people that donā€™t cross their 7 arrive all perfectly, so i wouldnā€™t worry too much about that.

1 Like

Youā€™re right. Some schools teach it with, some without :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hello, in French school we learn to cross the 7 :blush:

I learnt it that way (80s) :thinking:, my son, too (2014).

2 Likes

Until recently I did not know there are two ways of writing 7 !!!

:slight_smile:

For me it has always been only

3 Likes

When I started to get letters from abroad I was surprised how people in other countries write this number

2 Likes

For what itā€™s worth: In the Netherlands, itā€™s crossed.

Thank you, @clubpostcards! My greatest worry was for the Eastern countries. I will write my 7ā€™s going to Japan, China, etc. like you show in your example. :smiley_cat:

1 Like

@Tinkatutu, youā€™re right about the 1ā€™s. Iā€™ve noticed that many European Postcrossers write their 1ā€™s almost like a teepee. I should start adding the ā€œhalf hatā€ (I like that term) to my 1ā€™s as well. Thanks.

2 Likes

@Tetsuko, yes, this is actually my concern. People can figure it out, yes, but machines that read the numbers might misread. Iā€™m afraid a European machine might read a 7 as a 1, and now Iā€™m thinking they might read a 1 as an I as well.

2 Likes

Thanks for all of the input, everyone! Itā€™s all been very helpful!

4 Likes

Hopefully I can reassure you that at least Austrian machines do not misread the 7 and the 1. I have already received many cards from the USA. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

At least the last wouldnā€™t be a problem for German addresses. Our PLZ (Postleitzahl) - the part of the address which directs to a region/part of city - only contains numbers, no intermixing of 1 and I.
Well okay the house number can contain an added letter like a, b,ā€¦ And Iā€™ve seen houses with an i or j, too, for example ā€œBernhardstr. 13iā€, but on this level the mail carrier can handle it.

1 Like

Yes! My postcode has a 7 in it and when the 7 is written uncrossed, German Post always!!! put a BIG sticker on the written address (and sometimes on some parts of the message) with the message that they had to search for the right address ā€¦

1 Like

I never cross the 7 but I do make sure it is written clearly so it canā€™t be mistaken for a 1.

2 Likes

I didnā€™t know it was common hereā€¦I never heard of this until I started Postcrossing. I still write it the normal way, as I see it on my phone or computer: 7

I used to write 7 but when I encounter elderly people or people with eye sight issue, I started to crossed the number seven. Here in Malaysia, we write 7 and crossed seven. Both are good to use.

1 Like