Not enough stamp value

Thank you!

In Chile, if the cost of the stamps are not enough, the recipient will have to pay the doble of the difference that missed of the actual value. And if there no stamp at all (weird), the recipient will have to pay the doble of the total value that costs shipping that postcard.

4 Likes

Does this card also have a stamp on the front side?
In Australia they do a lot with prepaid cards and PO made maxicards. These stamps could be purely for decoration if the postage has been prepaid.

4 Likes

No, it doesn’t. It’s not an Australian postal service postcard and these are the only stamps on it.

1 Like

Worse than just being very very underpaid (less than 10% of the required postage), it also looks like they are used stamps since they both appear to have partial cancellations on them. So really I don’t think it has any valid postage.

5 Likes

Here are two a little similar topics:

Lately I’ve been receiving many underpaid from USA, so I wonder if there would be a need for a special reminder to this country members.

5 Likes

A few months ago I received a card from Australia with only the left stamp twice as postage (coincidence? the same postcrosser?). I reported the card since it was terribly underpaid and the support adviced me not to register it. They informed me that they’re going to contact the member and requested an explanation about the underpaid postage. I think you’d better report your card, too, if you haven’t already done that.

4 Likes

Can someone help with this one? It has one Forever stamp on it. It doesn’t say Global Forever, so I’m not sure if this is sufficient postage for US-UK. I was about to register it, but in light of this thread, thought I would check first.

That stamp is worth 66 cents (domestic letter rate). One of those by itself is less than half the required postage.

1 Like

Thanks John. I’ll contact admin then and see what they say.

Hmm. This is a very interesting topic.
I sent yesterday 10 postcards abroad from Germany and I have been asked for 7€. It seems I underpaid, as mostly I got stamps in 95 cents value.

I brought it to the post office to avoid such trouble. And how I am supposed to know tariff abroad? I hope they will be delivered anyway.

1 Like

70 cent is for domestic inside Germany
You are right, it should be 95

2 Likes

Sadly some employees at the post office really don’t know their own tariffs. This is often discussed in the German language topics.

4 Likes

I don’t see why this should be reported. I don’t think it’s fair for someone to possibly get in trouble for accidentally putting the wrong postage amount. I’m sure we’ve probably all done it at one time or another.

16 Likes

They won’t get in trouble.
If it’s accident, it’s of course normal. They can try to be more careful.

But for example one card I received, this person has been reported also before. I think it only had the postcard stamp. I didn’t need to register that card. Postcrossing can’t support and accept underpayment.
The are people who intentionally underpay.

4 Likes

I have to admit, before this thread, I had never reported it before. And I’ve been aware of underpayment in a few postcards I’ve received over the years. I suppose the only point in reporting it is if someone is deliberately cheating, and the team won’t know that unless several people report the same member.

9 Likes

Do you consider, the stamp might has been correct and got lost on the way?
If some mishap like that occurrs, I think, it wouldn’t be fair to not register.

Presumably something like that has happened to a card of mine. Or that’s my conclusion from a hint in the hurray-mail - the postcrosser thanked me, really liked the card - and added something about the stamp I didn’t understand (because like all cards, I send, it has gotten the correct stamp).
Since then self-adhesive stamps exert a kind of strong attraction on me … sorry for all stamp-lovers/collectors, safety first …

3 Likes

I had a nice message from support. They said that this is happening quite a lot at the moment amongst new members from the US. They were going to have a gentle word with the sender, and in the meantime, I can register the postcard. So all is well.

9 Likes

Since reading this thread, I will make an effort to understand the $ amount of stamp prices and requirements. But I think this could become crazy difficult. :weary:

2 Likes

Not your responsibility to account for anyone else.

2 Likes