No cards from or to Norway and Sweden

I have only been a member for a few months, but have drawn addresses to Norway and Iceland.

Finland is easily one of my top three European countries, along with DE and NL.

I was in Ireland in Holiday Just one Werk ago and I Had payed 2,20 € per stamp!

2 Likes

Hello @Aguaroble ,

The Netherlands = € 1,55 ( International) :wink:
0 - 20 gr

I sent one to Norway, never received.
I received 3 from Sweden, never sent.
Never interacted with Denmark or Iceland (or South Korea!)

(6 years, almost 500 sent/received).

This is off topic but for the case of South Korea, the answer is simple: Snailmail, especially postcards are never mainstream here. Only a few geeks write postcards… who are postcrossers. Here it’s hard to find postcards(especially if they are touristic) at stores. Even if you find some, they are mostly for interior(to put on the wall) so not suitable for sending :face_holding_back_tears:

Also South Korea doesn’t send mail to many countries now, so I think it also contributes to the inactivity of Korean users.

4 Likes

Totally same here…PRChina.

2 Likes

I will try to remember and find time to write a new one on weekend so I can post it here then. It probably faster to just write it all again than try to find the first one :sweat_smile:

1 Like

In Ireland it’s €2.20 now to send postcards when I started postcrossing in 2017 it was €1.35 so I’ve had to decrease the amount of postcards I send now.

3 Likes

That’s interesting. But I wonder why there are so many Chinese and Taiwanese and Japanese… Because I have Taiwanese origins, and before knowing Postcrossing, I thought that no one liked to write postcards either. I asked some Chinese about how they know Postcrossing, most of them answered “thanks to social media”. So it means it became “trendy” for young Chinese (at least, that’s how I understand it).
It is possible that if it becomes trendy for some reason, South Korea becomes a huge Postcrossing country…

2 Likes

I work in Denmark but I almost never send postcards from Denmark as postage for postcard ( and letter upto 100 gr) for outside Denmark is about 5 dollar/ Euro !!! :roll_eyes::see_no_evil:

4 Likes

I’m so happy I can send trough German post because I live close to Germany. Netherlands is to expensive for my taste. 1.55 euro. However I remember in 2014 when I started when the German post was 75 cent international. I hope it will stay at 95 cent… I really pray for that.

4 Likes

I have got one card from South Korea. It was one of the winter Olympics. I thought that was really cool. I cherish that card.

1 Like

Here it is what you have wrote @Kompis-Ninna

3 Likes

This is really horrible! No wonder they do not participate - even with cheap or moderate prices it is not a cheap hobby at all, if you want to send a few more than one postcard per month!

1 Like

Germany right now -,95€ for an international postcard

1 Like

For Chinese and Japanese, their population is bigger than Korea’s. I cannot explain about Taiwan, though. I also hope more and more Koreans to be interested in Postcrossing but who knows :face_holding_back_tears:

2 Likes

Is English a required subject in Korean schools?

Postcrossing for 11 years, 584 cards sent, 582 received. I have sent 2 cards to Norway, no officials received (though I now have a pen pal in Norway so that’s exciting). Nothing official sent or received to Sweden. I received my first card from Iceland earlier this year (and sent one in 2014).

2 Likes

Yes, from elementary school to high school.

Thanks for that fascinating history about IYS - those are the kind of cultural differences that can make a big difference in explaining why some countries are more active than others.

2 Likes