Newbies - Do you want to share your 'Activity per Month' wins?

So it could just be me :crazy_face:…but do any other relative-newbies watch their ‘Activity per Month’ stats in anticipation as the month draws to a close…and get excited about any upward trending sent/received lines?

No? Just me? Feel free to scroll right on by…
But if I’m not alone…do you wanna share your excitement here?

My little ‘yay’ comes if I manage to beat the previous month, in either sent or received. I’m making the most of this feeling now…because I know I can not maintain upward trends forever. At some point…quite soon I think…cost will become the ruling factor, and the lines will head down. But for now…I’m having a bit of fun with the anticipation! :partying_face:

As of today…I’m on equal footing with last month for both sent and received! There are four more days in July. Will I be able to squeeze in another registered postcard? A quick look at my travelling cards has me thinking…probably not, although there is an expired card that I have high hopes for :crossed_fingers:t2:.

Received is kinda hard to judge…not knowing where they’re coming from…makes it something of a lottery in comparison to sent, but we shall see!

How are your lines trending? :blush:

15 Likes

:smiley:
I’m not a Newbie, but I remember that I monitored my stats in the beginning very often.
Now after nearly 10 years I notice them only now and then, mostly in December/January during Postcards for a good cause.

Here are my stats from my first Postcrossing year:

3 Likes

I’m not a newbie too and I almost never monitor the official activity nowadays (since I replaced it with forum participation), but it would be not an upcoming trend at all! But waves of zero to huge amounts and back. In the beginning I didn’t know bout these graphs, otherwise I’d be checking them way too often :sweat_smile:

Also there were some amazing graphs here (I love seeing all activity patterns ^^): How long is average postcrosser's lifetime?

2 Likes

My activity has been with lots of ups and downs since the beginning.

This was my first year on Postcrossing:

And it hasn't changed at all

2 Likes

How quickly your numbers climbed @Bille!!! I’m suffering a bit of envy :face_with_hand_over_mouth:. My rate of increase is as fast as it could possibly be - that is, I drew new addresses as soon as I possibly could. The rest is down to my location and the post (and everything that affects it).

1 Like

I never paid attention to mine…
In January I started to be blocked by all the cards travelling but never arriving, and then I discovered the forum. Since, I send official cards regularly, but I rarely reach the limit. However, I try to not go under 4 slots available.

My “problem” is that my sent cards are going very slow, and everytime I have the opportunity to receive 1 card, I receive many more in few days and it takes me forever to get another chance to receive a card…
That’s quite frustrating, but it is what it is ! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Your ups and downs have just gotten much larger! :+1:t2:

1 Like

While I was sitting waiting for my booster appointment today…this was another thing I was doing to pass the time. And my sent line went up pretty much as I was looking at it :partying_face:…with a second card being registered. It really was my lucky day! But I am being a bit greedy and ‘secretly’ hoping that I can have just one more card registered before this month is done! :yum:

3 Likes

Not a newbe either but I used to be just like you in the beginning. However you can see I went a bit overboard during the pandemic month…
Now I am trying to slow down a bit again

1 Like

It’s hard to explain… :joy:

3 Likes

I also meant to say that I guess I’m a bit lucky with respect to your comment about getting lots of postcards at a time in return and then having to wait for a long time in between (which I can only imagine would be very frustrating for you)!

While I can see in my stats that my address also gets given out in bulk lots from time to time…due to living down here at the bottom of the world (and the extended postal delays that results in) seems to have kind of massaged them all out and they have been dribbling in with quite nice regularity for me now. So finally! There is something good about having to wait and wait and wait for my mail :tada:.

1 Like

Mind officially blown here Nadine! My wrist is cramping just thinking about those kind of numbers. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Were they accidently sitting in an absent neighbour’s postbox for some time…:grimacing:?

Thanks for the very interesting topic. I like to look at my stats on a regular basis, I love numbers :grin: :grin:. My activity has been pretty constant for the last 3-4 months.

This month has been very bad in terms of received cards :slight_smile: But, there are still few days and a big bunch might arrive soon.

3 Likes

Ack yes…that’s the kind of odd thing you might look at and think…is my local incoming post-sorting facility maybe closed for renovations…and they forgot to warn me :smirk:…or I’d be out checking the number hadn’t fallen off my postbox!! :face_with_hand_over_mouth: I have my fingers crossed you have a big delivery soon. :crossed_fingers:t2:

1 Like

The kindness of postcrossing system probably put my addresses to be drawn more often than I draw addresses, and we don’t get mails daily here. Sometime They’re bundled up together and sent like twice a month. After that a lot of my postcards are expired :expressionless:

I still owe the system 5 postcards before my address is back. So the receive number is :chart_with_downwards_trend:

1 Like

Ahhhh! I have wondered if the system or algorithm or whatever you want to call it is more heavily weighted for giving out ‘rare’ country addresses. Especially in times like the present where we seem to have a lot of national suspensions for one reason or another. It must make life very difficult for the ‘algorithm’…especially if it is trying to deliver a bit of variety to as wide a number of users as possible.

Do you think your address does actually get given out in bigger lots from time to time (say compared to a Postcrosser from a ‘not rare’ country)…or do you think the issue just arises due to the way your mail is delivered (being a bit intermittent sometimes)…and therefore the expired cards pile up, finally get delivered and cause a ‘sent’ deficit to occur?

Or is it a combination of both?! Hmmmmm…I have so many questions. :rofl:

1 Like

@Tinkatutu
My postman has informed me that they sort regular mail only on Friday because they are understaffed and already get a lot of speed posts that need to deliver within the day of arrival. Sometimes, they do it only once every two weeks.

I kind of hate it though because instead of getting regular mail, I get nothing for weeks or two and then too many on a single day :frowning: But, sorting isn’t mechanized, so they have to do everything manually :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: I wish they sort out the problem soon.

@catchycat
This was the case for me for a long time as well. I always had more received than sent. Only this month, my sent crossed received cards.

2 Likes

That would be soooo frustrating @rhuqesmail! Received card problems aside…do you think you have a good chance of some more of your sent cards being registered before the end of the month? You are quite close to last month’s ‘sent’ totals!!

1 Like

You’re definitely not alone. Although I am not a complete newbie anymore, I’m still fairly new and I absolutely love the Postcrossing statistic on my profile. I usually check them at the end of the month, but sometimes even weekly. :see_no_evil:

2 Likes