Moving

Hi, I’m moving at the end of January. Is it possible to stop receiving postcards until I move?

1 Like

You can set your profile on inactive and your address wont be given out anymore. When you reactive it all postcards that you still „deserve“ (?) to receive will come to you then :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It is as mailfromjo said. You can find out more about inactive state here https://www.postcrossing.com/help/how-does-the-inactive-state-work

2 Likes

You should set your profile to inactive a couple of weeks before you move, for cards from some countries travel for weeks.

2 Likes

I usually set my profile to inactive at least a month before I move. And this last time, I still had a postcard that arrived at my old address after I’d left. Sooner is always better.

1 Like

Move the profile to inactive. Then change your address in the profile.

I moved twice since I’ve been doing postcrossing. Last time I set myself inactive around late April, soon after the move was confirmed.
I moved out of my address in mid-June, and didn’t have a new permanent address until mid-August, so I was inactive all along but continued sending and got a deluge of cards once I went back to active.

I’d suggest 6-8 weeks before the move is a sensible time to go inactive before moving, otherwise you risk losing some slow cards, especially nowadays with the current situations.
Two weeks is okay for going on holiday since you’ll still find anything coming through on your return, but for moving I’d be very cautious.

3 Likes

I am moving to in january and set my account inactive about 1,5 month ago. Some cards take a long time to get to their destination, especcially with the pandemic going on.
Good luck on your move!

2 Likes

You could also check if your country’s post office has redirect mail service available. I moved about a year and half ago and was offered that service from our post office. Didn’t take it because I would have to pay for it, but I didn’t do postcrossing then and all my important mail comes to e-service. It is not completely foolproof what I have heard but could at least help you get some of the late arriving mail.

1 Like

Let the new people that move in know you’re expecting mail and they should put it aside so you can pick it up :smiley:

1 Like

@billygoatmcmuffin: As everyone said, setting your account to inactive will ensure your address won’t be given out. Switch it back to active as soon as you are in your new place and don’t forget to change your address before that.

USPS has a $1 service to forward mail. That would take care of the postcards currently traveling to you.

Otherwise, postcrossing also offers to automatically register all postcards traveling to you when you update your address.

I did that when I moved to my current city, with Deutsche Post you can get 1 year of redirecting mail for €30 or so, I don’t remember exactly. They only forwarded me few letters but I felt better to be safe than sorry. :raised_hands:t2: