Monthly themes for profile

The decision between this two topic is tough. The first one is easier to answer and fullfill at first glance, but also more normal and standard question. The second one needs more thoughtfulness, but you maybe get more interesting things to read?

I like the Maritime one, too. :see_no_evil: And yes, I also fear, that it drives to a thematic postcard topic. On the other hand, I hardly send postcards with animals/plants/life, which live in the sea. But the ocean takes so much room of the earth, but we live on the land, so we send mostly cards of the countries we live in, but not the surrounding water. If I ever sent a sea related card itā€™s normally beach or lighthouses, because those things are on wish lists. And the topic is not so closed down as it seems at first glance: You could also send boats, the colors red/blue/white, sea birds, ocean related art, ā€¦
Therefor I came up with ocean and sky, so itā€™s not so focused and you could also send flying thingsā€¦ or more generally and removing ships and planes from it: nature
But yes, still a thematic postcard topicā€¦

1 Like

I always read profiles (well, I am a forum member), nevertheless I would probably disregard such topic lists, for when I write a card I want to share a bit of me that may be interesting for the recipient. But those lists usually ask for something that is no bit of me. So does this one. Reading a profile does not necessarily mean to fulfil its wishes/demands. And by the way: Such lists make a profile look demanding, at least for me.
Just my two cents.

3 Likes

@RalfH I had thought that and was trying to be conscious about making it clear that it wasnā€™t a demand. Using terms like ā€œI encourage youā€. But I appreciate hearing the impression it made on you. I may use a different title. Change ā€œthemeā€ to ā€œchallengeā€ and steal a line from Mission Impossible.

ā€œMonthly Challenge for Mar 2024, if you chose to accept it: Poetryā€

Also, I want to point out that it would not be a list on my profile. Every month, I will swap out the challenge to the current month. I only listed them here for discussion.

4 Likes

I think you do not really need to change the title or somerhing else, for you cannot please everyone anyone and so canā€™t I. For example I do have a short list of cards I like, just to help the postcrossers, who need such lists to find a card, and I emphasize, that it is just a wishlist, not an order list, nevertheless now and then I get a card with ā€œsorry, but I cannot fulfil your wishesā€.
So you will certainly get cards that do not fit to your list and to some people such a list will look like a demand, regardless how much you emphasize that it is not meant demanding.
After reading all the positive and encouraging comments here, I just wanted to show, that not everybody would be as pleased as the vast majority here in this thread.
But I wish you, that I am wrong and that you get only cards which please your list! :+1:t2::+1:t2::+1:t2:

2 Likes

I appreciate the feedback. Compliments make you feel better, but criticisms make you be better.

3 Likes

I find the monthly theme list is to create an idea or encourage people to write more on the postcard.

Itā€™s not a problem or look like a demanding profile because I have seen not one but occasionally similar profile with monthly theme.

This is nothing new to me.

Sometimes I want to join but Iā€™m lazy so I choose to ignore the monthly theme and write what I enjoy writing.

Well, I have alot to say about my favourite subject! HA HA ! :joy:

One concern I have with monthly themes on profiles (generally) is when I am sending a card that will almost certainly arrive in a different month to the month I am writing the card in.

I may write a card to someone in April but it might not make it to its destination until June or July with the speed of some international post. It is perhaps something to consider, as it would dissuade me from following the theme suggestion.

Personally I wouldnā€™t mind that, neither as the sender nor the receiver. Maybe itā€™s even more interesting for the receiver, when a late card arrives?

The thing that keeps me from having my own monthly challenges is that I donā€™t send enough cards to receive enough cards, so that such a challenge would make sense. Depending on the arrivals of my postcard itā€™s possible that my address wouldnā€™t be given out for a whole month :sweat_smile:

Thatā€™s understandable, but I wanted to say that lately Iā€™ve been receiving a lot of postcards that amount to ā€œHello from ___ā€.
Thereā€™s also the option of writing in very small letters to write both about us and to answer the questions asked in the profile. With tiny letters, I can usually write up to 20 sentences :blush:

1 Like

Not everybody can write in tiny lettes and not everybody can read tiny letters. There are many older people here and might have bad eyes or shivering hands, arthrosis etc.
Others do not want to give the complex answers, that your political questions require. So in my opinion it is not, that the people do not read a profile, it is rather that they cannot or donā€™t want to fulfil parts of the wishes.

1 Like

Oh yes, of course, thereā€™s no problem for that, and I am absolutely OK with those who do not answer to any of my questions! Itā€™s just that I am a little bit disappointed when thereā€™s only one sentence on the card which isnā€™t personal / or when the message is preprinted. But even when it is the case, it is still nice to receive a postcard in my opinion, at least thatā€™s why I love Postcrossing :blush:

1 Like

Me too! But the vast majority wrote a personal message to me.

1 Like