Month of Letters

Wow! Impressive effort. Hope you get lots of :love_letter: back.

2 Likes

This has been a good exercise, but I will be glad to go back to my usual scheduling of posting letters and postcards once a week. Sometimes it has been quite difficult to get something in because I’ve had more things going on in other areas of my life as well for this particular month.

I’ve documented my experience with the Month of Letters here.

3 Likes

Just skimmed through your blog. Great idea, breadth of topics, and interesting to read!
Thanks for sharing it here.

1 Like

Thanks for the challenge!

I lost my track record a bit in week 3 as had to take a COVID test and therefore had to isolate so couldn’t post a card that day (luckily it was negative) and after I missed a day I was a bit more lackadaisical about it! But always made up for it by still posting the equivalent of one card a day - certainly posted more than 28 letters/postcards throughout the month.

Found it quite hard the last week…let’s say a loss of creative energy! I joined so many tags so a lot of postage was spent :rofl:

But was nice to send some mail to people I wouldn’t have otherwise - so in addition to official Postcrossing, and tags and RRs here on the forum I posted:

• Galentine’s/Valentine’s Day postcards with chocolate/sweets to my single friends
  • A postcard to my friends who have just moved to Scotland
  • A card to my Nan
  • A card to my friends who I haven’t spoken to in a while (they are busy with their baby!)
  • A postcard to my old housemate
  • A postcard to my sister to tell her I miss her!

Looking forward to being without the pressure of posting every day :rofl: but I have really enjoyed it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I also got a little sidetracked towards the end… but I still managed to post something on most days, so I’m counting that as a win! Plus, we’ve received a reply back from one of our 5-year old “nieces” (a friend’s daughter) today, and it had a drawing of both Paulo and I in it, as well as a few greetings scribbled in her wobbly handwriting … so sweet! :heart_eyes:

I’m glad so many of you took up the challenge and joined along this year. It’s been a pleasure to read and take a peek at your mailings here in the forum. Keep it going!

5 Likes

Sent out the last card and letter today for two of the days I missed. Feeling quite accomplished…

5 Likes

Just curious: How much do you guys write in a letter (not a postcard, since space is obviously limited)?

How long are your letters?
  • 100-ish words. Very short. Don’t have time for wordiness.
  • 200 words. Informative, yet concise.
  • 300-400 words. We’re writing for a reason, aren’t we?
  • 500+ words. I live for letter writing (or I have too much stationery – help me get rid of it!).

0 voters

I ususally keep going until the whole Page is filled. Handwriting is on the tinier side. I tend to go for A5 sheets.

2 Likes

Have never thought to consider word count. I just write until I’m done.

3 Likes

I don’t write a lot of letters, but when I do write them, it’s easily 3-4 A5 pages… so a lot of words!

2 Likes

Month of Letters Update.
I continue … every day since February 1st. It’s going well. I do not include the same person twice, even if I write again and again and again in a regular exchange.
A sidebar positive outcome of the pandemic… time to write postcards and letters. :dancer:

2 Likes

That is wonderful to hear! I’ve once done 100 days of writing one postcard a day — I think you must be coming up on that milestone too, very soon! :tada:

1 Like

Thank you for noticing! :sunflower:
Day 100 - May 10. Plus, I have a parallel celebration of 100 postcards sent and almost 100 received.
100. 100. 100. :partying_face:

2 Likes

Sigh … this card expired 342 days ago …
However, I challenged myself to continue with the month of letters right through until today. On January 31, 2022 I will have sent one letter, postcard or greeting card each day for a full year: February 1, 2021-January 31, 2022. Never to the same person twice.
It was a challenge at times! :sweat:
This last month of the full year has proved to be the most challenging! Every night for the last couple of weeks I fall asleep with visions of mail (not sugar plums) in my head. I pray … may there be another name to draw tomorrow!
And poof! There is something … !
But, it has been tense this month as I eye the finish line. During another wave with restrictions.
Still, … I plan to come full circle from my first Month of Letters by participating in my 2nd Month of Letters this year.
Stay tuned … February 2022 Month of Letters is coming here at Postcrossing!

6 Likes

I write to my fiancée nearly every day and I send a postcrossing card or more nearly every day already as well as sending out items I’ve sold on ebay but I think I’ll set up something specific for every day of February. I sometimes write to my daughter while she’s at my ex’s house, and I think she enjoys it although she never writes back. Maybe I’ll write to her every day in February. I’ll pre-address and pre-stamp the envelopes to make it easier for myself to remember. <3 Thanks for reminding me of this event!

1 Like

So many layers of love and care @jaenelle!
What a cool idea to set up daily letters to your daughter! Through the pandemic I’ve sent a weekly postcard to one of my brothers who has found the whole time a bit difficult (the isolation). And, boy! Have we had a few great laughs about some of the wild cards I’ve managed to find online! It’s been an opportunity for me to stretch my creative wings and to reach out with love and care. He has never written back once, and it doesn’t matter. Like you mention about your daughter; she might not write back, but she will enjoy and appreciate every piece you write. :purple_heart:

1 Like

First I saw @coleandjojo post over here in asking if anyone had heard of neurographic art. This didn’t ring any bells until I saw some pictures, then watched a bunch of videos…something like 2 hours later I finished my first one. Very therapeutic indeed! I wasn’t sure where to share it, but searched the forum for “neurographic” and found this post and awesome thread!

I will be doing more for sure, but think this one will go to a family member that I’ve so far neglected mailing a thank you for Christmas gifts.

I wonder if anyone else is like me and neglects sending postcards and letters to family members or close friends (outside of the postcrossing community). I try to occasionally, but always feel so much pressure saying the right thing, or get caught up with deeper feelings and emotions that make it hard. For me, there is something easier about sending to a stranger far away! :man_shrugging:

This is totally me too!! I feel like I have almost ruined some of my mail art postcards because of what I write on the back that sounds weird and doesn’t match what I actually wanted to say at all. :laughing:

4 Likes

Most of the time I think I should just sign my name, maybe write the date and then leave it at that. :laughing:

Coincidentally I still love making neurographic art. Let me know if you would like to exchange some!

1 Like

Let me close this topic here, and redirect everyone to the 2022 topic for the Month of Letters:

Come join us! :writing_hand:

2 Likes