✅ Missing unread notification

Same thing here. The notification simply doesn’t go away.

1 Like

Its still there.

1 Like

Mine is also still there!

1 Like

@Bille it is still there and annoying me.

1 Like

Now the same problem appears here. The extra “unread” notification appeared after I had clicked “defer” on one of my PMs, then accidentally opened the PM again and then clicked “defer” again. The unread from the first “defer” klick seemed to have stayed, @paulo. (I’m keeping 4 PMs unread at the moment as I still need to write those cards - but have 5 “unread” notifications.)

2 Likes

Mineis still there…

Mine as well. :sob:

I recently noticed that now there are supposed to be 4 unread messages in my inbox.
However, I have no unread messages in either my normal inbox nor the moderator’s inbox.

Screenshot 2023-01-21 at 18-21-22 Inbox - Messages - Profile - Bille - Postcrossing Community Screenshot 2023-01-21 at 18-21-10 Inbox - Messages - Profile - Bille - Postcrossing Community Screenshot 2023-01-21 at 18-20-52 Moderators - Messages - Profile - Bille - Postcrossing Community

1 Like

Same here. It just started this afternoon.
Well - I’ve got “only” 3 extra notifications…

@paulo:
It might have started when someone removed me from a PM they sent to me and I hadn’t read at that time. I know this because I received an email about that PM at 17:18h today and didn’t find the PM when I wanted to reply.

Another user asked me about that problems just a few days ago, it was also connected to a PM they removed everyone from before the others could read it:

I made a group message (for RR) and realized I made a mistake. So I deleted the participants and thus the message as well. However one participant told me that she still see is as unread and can’t open it (because it is deleted) and can’t remove it.

That extra notification seems to come from an unread email as well.

4 Likes

I’m the person mentioned here with the glitch. It’s been there for a couple of weeks. I have closed the browser, with no luck removing it.
So … I wait for it to disappear on its own.

2 Likes

It probably won’t just disappear until @paulo does some of his :magic_wand: magic :magic_wand:
Let’s hope for the best!

2 Likes

I checked the PMs I got on 1st Dec. And all the PMs are still there. Maybe I’m not checking the right place :sweat_smile:. But I’m afraid the unread notification is not bothering me as much as it used to be, which is not what I wanted :sweat_smile:.

Lets hope

1 Like

Sorry everyone for the silence, but this is beyond what I’m able to fix myself. But, there’s good news nonetheless.

First, it seems our forum team has managed to find a way to reproduce this which might become very important. However, a new version of Discourse has come out recently and we are looking into updating to it. It’s quite likely the issue has been already fixed on the new version (and if not, we now have a way to reproduce and report it).

Please bear with us a little longer as we try clear all the steps in order to upgrade this forum to the latest version: there are quite a bit of changes and we want to try to do this right without any unexpected surprises.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, the new version doesn’t quite address it as we would like (not without activating something else).

However, in the meantime we have confirmed what causes this: it’s when someone sent you a message but then, before you read it, you were removed from the conversation. Since you can’t read the message anymore, there’s no obvious way to mark the notification as read (thank you @Bille and @Reisegern for the detective work :mag:).

There’s however a workaround: on the bottom of the notifications menu, use the Dismiss button.

Or, the Dismiss all button on your notifications page.

There’s one important caveat to this though: if the only notifications left are the unreadable kind, it’s likely that the button will be disabled. The workaround for this is to do it when you have some other notification too, for example, when someone @mention’s you - then the button will work and will clear all notifications, including the sticky ones.

If you need help getting that extra notification, ask here so that others can @mention you.

Sorry for the hack-y workaround for this. In the future we’ll be activating a new feature in Discourse that will address this better, but for now we’ll have to use this solution.

1 Like

There is a green circle indicating an unread forum message, but the system doesn’t show any unread messages. I cannot figure this out - is it a bug that needs to be cleared? Thank you!

@Johnk60
I moved your post to here.
Please read the answer of Paulo to that in the post above.

Yeah, sometimes it happens, but just for few moments! But it gets Normal soon

Yes, that solved the problem.

With the switch to the new forum navigation, I believe this bug shouldn’t be present anymore. I think the issue was on code related with the notifications using the Legacy user menu.

1 Like