Members asking for other items than postcards

In the US our tea bags are individually wrapped so they are ok. They are light and thin so mailing in an envelope is no problem. It’s a nice small inexpensive gift. I drink tea often so always have some to share

1 Like

I think those old Halloween stories are myths, and nobody has made popcorn balls since I was a kid in the 1960s!

7 Likes

Definitely not (just) a Biritish thing! :smiley: I always buy my black tea in 100-bags packs. And on topic - I have also sent, received and drank tea from penpals or tea tags or tea RRs. Never had any issues. If the tea sits a month or two in my cupboard before I drink the whole pack, it will not go any staler if it travels to me for a week or two in an envelope :smiley:

3 Likes

I once thought about sending a tea bag in envelope, but worried that it’s not flat enough and won’t go through as normal mail.

1 Like

Not true. I wasn’t even alive in the 60s and my mom allowed me one popcorn ball each year from the woman across the street. Even in the 80s she made them, and then she died. My girls scout troop also did, as well as a camping group my parents were part of up north, and later I saw them at a church fall festival in the south, So although maybe most people dont make them, there are definately others that do.

Still, I see my random thoughts and concerns are mostly not shared. I tend to be a bit over-cautionary on something’s I’ll admit. But still the loosely sealed Paper wrappings like common Tetley, or open tea bags like the cool pyramid shaped ones from England, unless from a friend and put into a plastic sealed bag, i wouldn’t want bc of the wet staining factor that happened and made me sad.

1 Like

I haven’t mentioned wanting tea in my profile (though I do say I’m a tea drinker. Maybe I should change that.). But several people have sent teabags to me and, like you, I have been worried that it’s not just tea. I’m afraid they’ve always been thrown away, just in case. And I know that’s sad, because most of the people who sent it to me did it out of generosity, but I don’t want to take the risk.

3 Likes

I really can understand your feelings.
Me personally, I believe in the good of a person.
As you wrote most people are sending some extras out of generosity and they won’t see you “suffer” (what means, that they won’t send an old tea bag)
I just thougt of cancelling tea bags from my “wish-list” in postcrossing…but in my opinion postcrossing-people are lovely human-beings.
And once again, postcrossing-people normally won’t see you suffer. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Those Halloween stories are just urban myths. On the like 2 occasions where something like that has happened it’s been family members going after children in their own families. Never happened between strangers. Don’t spread lies like these and scare people.

8 Likes

Halloween candy tampering is largely the stuff of urban legend, but there have been four cases of suspected tampering reported to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency since April 2008. That’s only counting Canada. (So your count of 2 is wrong. Who is now spreading false information?)

[quote=“LeishaCamden, post:28, topic:195706”]
On the like 2 occasions where something like that has happened it’s been family members going after children in their own families. Never happened between strangers/quote]

paranoia about tainted candy spiked in the early 1980s after a rash of Tylenol poisonings in which cyanide-laced acetaminophen was placed on store shelves and sold.

I could do a full research and report, but my intent was not to try to spread fear with myth, but originally just stated why I personally don’t want tea bags from strangers.
I do agree with people that Postcrossers on the whole are good people, but then again, it IS a postcard site. There are other places for exchanging food, gifts, stamps etc.
If people want to swap privately that’s their own choice, but not everyone here is about collection of anything other than postcard correspondence, and for me, the tea that leaked and ruined a card and other mail helped finalize that decision for me.

3 Likes

I am not asking for tea bags, but whenever I have an adress asking for it, sometimes I do send a individually packed tea bag. It depends on the availability at home :smiley:

However, I always feel worried about it since I don’t really know the recepient. I mean what if that person has an allergy or something… Or some ingredients in herbal teas might be bad for some people with specific health condition (because of that I tend to ignore tea request of old people). Maybe it is being a paranoid, but well you never know :woman_shrugging: :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

They might mean the packages they come in.
Some are very pretty and once cut into squares you can make lots of origami things and what we call “Tea Bag Folding medallions” it take 8 the same, or one could do 4 and 4 ton make the round medial look to place on a card, journal etc. There are even Tea Bag printed papers that one can cut apart and fold. Basically I’m guessing f for some sort of origami.

1 Like

I sometimes worry this too but I believe people asking for tea bags are not allergic or they are checking what it contains and understand the risks.

1 Like

I know my envelope fits 4-5 cards at Max. If I’m sending 2-3 cards in an envelope, I usually add a teabag - but of course individually sealed and if possible with English description or explanation. It doesn’t cost me a lot, but it’s small nice surprise so why not

1 Like

New UPU and customs rules make sending trinkets like tea bags expensive. For example the US Postal Service now requires such items be sent at the much higher parcel rates and customs forms must be filed. I understand other posts are doing this too. And trying to slip it through in a letter could just get your item seized by customs or the dead letter office if no return address. I think there was another Postcrosser on another thread getting hit with customs duty to receive such a packet.

2 Likes

I find that a bit patronizing, but I see your good and honorable intention. I’d say they know best if they can drink any kinds of tea. Just my two cents, not meant as an offense. :thinking:

2 Likes

90s kid here; I miss Halloween popcorn balls. :joy: (I fully understand why people don’t make them for trick-or-treaters anymore, but damn, they were delicious.)

3 Likes

What kind of tags?

:cold_sweat:

Here is one of the tags for tea.

1 Like

Thank you

1 Like