Markdown numbering

Is there a way not have automatic lists? I. e. write 1., 2. etc. at the beginning of a line, but not have that turned into anything?

We have lists in Bingos and they can look a bit strange now, as in this post where the list starts with the first numbered state and Montgomery and Juneau are left hanging as if they didn’t belong, or this one, where Hokkaido looks as if it were a list of its own, because there are subheaders within the list and that part only contains one item. (The counting across subheaders works wonderfully.) Just looks odd and unstructured.

I found that if I add “0.” to the first item, the list will begin there, but it does look a bit stupid to have a list start with a 0. :wink: And it doesn’t help with the single item and subheaders problem.

You can do this by using the backslash character before the period.

1. Hokaido
2. Montogomery
3. Phoenix

1\. Hokaido
2\. Montogomery
3\. Phoenix

Source:

The automatic numbering is great if you have a long ordered list and need to remove something in the middle of it: the “renumbering” is done automatically for you. But I see how that can get in the way if you actually don’t want that.

If it’s not very important to have them styled as a list, you do can something like @anon12838227 mentioned, of placing a “\” before the period. A bit cumbersome, but gets it done, since it is no longer considered a numeric list. With that however you lose the automatic counting across subheaders and the automatic indentation though.

Would that do the trick in this case?

Thanks, @anon12838227 - that’s what I was looking for!

@paulo: I can see the advantage of not having to do the renumbering by hand and I may well decide that it outweighs the aesthetic disadvantages (I am a bit OCD, so these things bug me), particularly with long lists.

In general, I’m not a fan of features that I can’t turn off, even if I don’t want them, however useful they might be. I like to have a bit of control over what I write. :wink:

I totally understand. But the feature here is Markdown which is a whole syntax which only makes sense when used together and it would be uncommon to disable just parts of it and give that as separate features.

That said, often there are workarounds like the escaping with “\”. If you bump into other issues, just ask and we can check if there’s something that can be done to help.