Mailart from the past; some examples

Here’s a postcard from Carlo Pittore, who was a painter and prominent mail artist.

10 Likes

A postcard from Rene Magritte to the Belgian writer Marcel Lecomte, in which the artist depicts Lecomte walking backwards. (The photograph of Magritte and Lecomte is not the front of the postcard).

7 Likes

Not from a very distant past but I thought it is worth mentioning here - “Philatelic Items” gallery show by artist Lolly Batty is running until April 29, 2023 at White Columns gallery in NYC.

Photo source: White Columns instagram.

5 Likes

These cinderella stamps are great! Do you know if more are available?

1 Like

@sesquipedalian The shop owner who made these stamps many years ago, Mrs Wassmann, is about 80 y.o. now and decided to close her shop at the end of March. I went there last month to buy some sheets of stamps for some other letters of the alphabet and I don’t know what will happen to all the things that are left in her shop.

Here’s two collections of postcards being sold at auction this week sent from the artist Carl Andre to an acquaintance. Ah, the good old days, when even non-Postcrossers regularly mailed postcards.

7 Likes

Franz Marc’s postcards are my latest fascination. The one above, The Tower of Blue Horses, was eventually done as a painting which went missing at the end of WWII. While that painting must be stunning I like the postcard version better. :joy:

4 Likes

Here’s something about an ongoing postcard project by the artist Jonathan Monk, called “Picture Post Card Posted From Post Box Pictured.”

5 Likes

The Jonathan Monk project is great! Thanks for sharing.
Inspired by your input I’ve visited an exhibition in the Weserburg museum for modern art in Bremen a few days ago as I knew there are some Jonathan Monk pieces. When I ask different museum employees nobody knew where to find the Jonathan Monk samples. When I finally found them it was surprisingly a whole room with Monk photos.

6 Likes

And I’m still waiting for a Jonathan Monk postcard, recently sent from New York. I hope it doesn’t arrive today, because it’s raining. Though I suppose that in the true spirit of Fluxus, and chance, I shouldn’t mind if the card gets a little wet.

2 Likes

@jeffbh
Thanks for opening this amazing thread! I love mail art and handmade postcards but now I don’t have time and money to start a collection… Where did you get your mailart?? Auctions, internet, other collectors?? I didn’t know there would be so many artists making mail art and decorating envelopes.

2 Likes

Looking through this thread has made my heart happy! I am obsessed with mail art! If you ever happen to get a card from me in the future, some mail art elements will be present. I have just joined the site and mailed my first 5 cards out… decorated with love :heart:.

2 Likes