Mail to China (2022 temporary suspension)

This one wasn’t too bad…

4 Likes

Thank you for your insights @June060310 . I am always intrigued with how mail is handled differently in other countries.

4 Likes

This is my first postcard to China since the temporary suspension has been lifted. Although it took 82 days, the fact that it arrived at all means things might be looking up!

7 Likes

Hurray! My official card to China finally arrived after a journey for 273 days.

9 Likes

This card traveled only 11 days from China to me

https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/CN-3462954

But another one is going to be lost forever in a few days…

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: :postcard: Mail Suspension Alerts

5 months ago I drew a China address. Yes it has been expired and the member has big gap 67 sent, 45 received.

Today I received China address again :smiley: 36 sent, 30 received. Wish me luck

3 Likes

I dread trusting China Post with my cards, but send them just like any others. I’d like to see the latest Chinese balance summary - any improvement?

6 Likes

Here in Nanjing, reporting the newest situation.
Yesterday I opened my mailbox and found… a last year’s account information and bill from Hong Kong???

The bill has been already expired though.
Meanwhile at the same time, I received a card travelling from Belarus taking only 28 days to arrive.
Postcard BY-2976602 (postcrossing.com)
At least it seems that the interchange center are sending out mails being stored during pandemic now

11 Likes

45 days in priority class to China :cn: :airplane: :postbox: :partying_face: Also the recipient’s first received card. :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Today one of my expired cards to China arrived after 288 days! :smiley:

10 Likes

Our last update here has been almost 4 months ago. Which is pretty long, but such has been the nature of the problem: postcards have been taking a very long time to arrive. But, we have more good news!

Over these last 4 months things didn’t improve significantly, until a few weeks ago. But more recently, travel times have been going down, and the amount of postcards being delivered has been going significantly up. Here’s the usual chart.

Click for bigger. As before, granularity is per week; red is average travel times; blue is number of postcards arriving each week.

Some relevant disclaimers about the chart: first, the amount of postcards arriving is still dependent on the throttling we have in place, so shouldn’t be looked too much into: it just couldn’t be very high at this point — but the current trend is positive. Second, the peak travel times in ~October were not just due to the ongoing situation but also because of our suspension/throttling: with less new/recent postcards to deliver, the older ones from the backlog push the average up.

Still, the last fews weeks have been encouraging. Average travel times have been going down, and number of postcards being delivered has been going up. More importantly, a fair percentage of mail is arriving within better times than what we were seeing when all this started.

With the recent pandemic restriction changes in China, we expect the mail delivery situation will continue to improve going forward. Hence, we are updating the throttling by further increasing the rate at which addresses in China can be selected.

Mind that we are not fully past this just yet: e.g., average travel times are not yet back to where they used to be (and vary across different regions) and the situation could still get worse again in the coming weeks, which is why we are not yet fully removing the throttling. However, we are happy with what the data is showing and if the current trend continues in the coming 1-2 months, we will likely remove the throttling completely.

53 Likes

That’s great news!

4 Likes

I received a Chinese address today for the first time in almost a year, so we will see how that goes.
One card I sent to China (winner of a lottery) arrived, it took about two months (or at least that’s when the recipient notified me), which I consider not bad at all for China.

And so I went to check on the recipient of my expired card to China, and she registered a card!!! The first one in almost a year! And it was sent on the exact same day as mine, and from a neighbouring country, so I am feeling hopeful. The sending date is 3 April though so it is a race against time for it to be registered… :joy:

4 Likes

I’m not great with links, but here’s a screenshot from a Hurray message that arrived a few minutes ago. Wow!

16 Likes

26 days - fantastic !! :partying_face:

12 Likes

A card sent to China 70 days ago was just registered, so I now only have one card travelling there, sent 316 days ago to a PXer who has not registered any cards since November 2022 and has not logged in to their account for two months - so I have no hope for it to be registered.

:bouncing: :bouncing: :bouncing:

It has now arrived - after 91 days.

9 Likes

Good to hear! I almost lost my interest in mailing postcards since the huge unbalance between sent and received.

13 Likes

I totally understand that.
The recipient of my card has been with postcrossing for exactly one year and it was only the second card she received - that takes a lot of patience.

18 Likes