Mail to China (2022 temporary suspension)

I want to share some positive news :melting_face:
From my recent incoming mail! Received one sent on Oct.1 :star_struck:
Hope more great news on the day!

10 Likes

About 2 months ago we restored the routes to China, so it’s a good time for another update.

For mail sent on the first days (mid September) after we restored the routes to China, 33% of postcards have arrived, that is, arrived within ~60 days or less.

This can be seen both as good or as not so great… depending on how you look at it. It’s good in the sense that it seems to be improving: we were not seeing these numbers earlier this year, so it seems to have gotten better. Note that back in June when we suspended the route to China, only 5% had made it in 60 days.

But, 33% after 2 months is still not great; for comparison, Macao and Hong Kong already registered 82% and 84% respectively of the postcards sent on the same period. Looking into mail sent earlier this year, it seems to still be arriving.

We also took a look at delivery rates by region in China and there are some disparities. For example, for the same period (sent in mid September), about 58% of postcards to the Shanghai region have been received, and 53% to Beijing, while some other regions are still under 20% at this point. This is possibly due to the location of international mail sorting centers and/or how mail distribution and transport is done in/to each region, etc. It’s perhaps expectable that for some places mail takes longer and will soon arrive, but the difference is quite significant, so we will be keeping an eye on this as it may become relevant over time.

With this, as the situation does not seem as extreme as in earlier months, we are easing the throttling by increasing the rate at which addresses in China are given out. It’s still not at a full rate and there are many postcards due, but if the situation continues to improve, we hope in the next months to fully restore it.

56 Likes

Thanks for the detailed updated.

Are you going to extend the 365 days timeframe for postcards traveling to China before they will be deleted after a year not arriving?

1 Like

The delays to China have been stark this year, but they are on the range of several months. Despite the abnormal travel times, mail sent earlier this year to China has, for the most part, been reaching the destinations after several months. There’s always a small percentage that doesn’t make it (to China and everywhere else). So we don’t see a reason to touch the 1 year threshold for deletion.

11 Likes

I was very happy to get an address in China again today, for the first time since May. It’s in the Shanghai region so I have good hope that it’ll arrive, and I’m happy for Chinese postcrossers that they’re slowly getting back into the pool.

7 Likes

Just want to report, I’ve found multiple unclaimed postcrossing cards in my university’s Mail Room which are delivered for a quite long period, I have also heard about such circumstances from my friends in other colleges, such situations might be the case of some of the cards unable to make it.

4 Likes

Wait, what are the cards doing in university’s mail room?
Did a crazy mail carrier throw away them to the university?

no, they are delivered correctly, possibly some postcrossers don’t check the mail room regularly, or it took too long for the cards to arrive that they have already left the college etc

5 Likes

When can it be changed?!!!

1 Like

When most cards to China arrive within the 60-day-limit.

My card to China which address I got after lifting the block a bit will expire tomorrow. So no improvement yet.

5 Likes

See Paulo’s reply above. When the cards start arriving relatively normally again. After reading yesterday about China’s sharpened covid restrictions I guess it might take some time because the restrictions affect the postal service as well, right? As unfortunately as the situation is for Chinese postcrossers, Postcrossing team can’t do much if the problem lies in a certain country’s postal system. A similar case: I remember reading complaints from Indonesian postcrossers about a year ago that they weren’t able to get any addresses and some pleaded Postcrossing team to do something. But the matter was out of the team’s hands, as the Indonesian post didn’t deliver mail but to a couple of countries, so there just weren’t enough addresses available. :person_shrugging:

As Paulo’s replies in this thread indicate, there is some problem with China post as in the same time cards to HK and Macao get delivered normally. Maybe you could address a complaint about the issue to China post, your local PM or government member?

9 Likes

Very hurtful news…!! Looking forward to getting cleared soon…!!

I do not wish to sound pessimistic, but for two weeks there has been NO mail coming to me and quite a few items I have sent off in the second half of October and all through November to various places outside China have so far failed to arrive. To-day I went to the city (Beijing) after our village came out of semi-lockdown… Banks, including the main branch of Bank of China, were closed, so were post-offices (!) and they had even stuck an obstruction on the letter-box outside the post-office so that nobody can drop letters/postcards into it…Streets were deserted, and obviously not only because it was minus 5°C and a nasty wind was blowing… A big food market had only about 10% of the vendors open.
I am afraid there will be some consequences of all that on the smooth flow of postcards. I am on inactive mode for personal reasons, but I guess it is anyway better for the time being…
Let us hope the situation will improve SOON!

16 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that. It’s interesting to read your first hand account of what’s happening there. And regarding the post situation, disappointing for everyone.

5 Likes

Could you maybe take a picture of these postcards (with their IDs) and send it to us via the Contact form? We’ll poke the recipients to help them sort this out. Thank you in advance for your help!

8 Likes

A forum member from China just wrote that mail is suspended in his region again. The German postal service confirms that mail cannot be delivered to some regions.

2 Likes

I received CN-3385016 today. Even though the address was requested in July, the postmarks are clear and indicates it passed through the system on Oct 31. So, 30 days to the USA is not bad, after it was postmarked. What I can’t tell is if the card languished in the Chinese postal system for over 3 months before it was processed, or whether the sender delayed posting it for a while… Anyway, it was a nice card with great stamps.

4 Likes

Does the system allow you to grant us an additional postcard slot for those already travelling to China :cn: or do we have to wait the full 60 days?

@siff
Again - this issue is NOT about cards FROM China, but about cards TO China.

11 Likes

Oh, it seems all the mails, even if they are not for the students, are collected in University, not in post office and thought China is strange.